Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: [SPRINT] [GUIDE] How to ROOT and UNROOT The Sprint Note2

I originally wanted to root so I could wifi tether for free. And then I rooted my phone using this guide:
    Then about 3 days later an official OTA update came out and that is one of the reasons. And I know that you could just use toolbox to update but I just blew off the popup for a while. So one day, I got up in the morning and my phone wouldn't turn on, the red light would flash but it wouldn't actually turn on. I looked it up and some people were calling it the death note. But anyway, I didn't want to have to turn my phone in because I wasn't on stock ROM and my binary count was up. So I couldn't turn in, and now I want to unroot completely with no evidence at all. I feel that being rooted is too high of a risk for me right now because I don't know enough about the subject yet and I feel like I could mess up my phone, and I can't afford another. So I just want a completely stock phone with all of my contacts and stuff, and I want TRWP off also. And that's why I came to this forum, to ask for your help.

P.S. Once I got the "death note" I just put it in downloading mode and restarted the phone like that and it has been working fine ever since
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Oraclize View Post
    I originally wanted to root so I could wifi tether for free. And then I rooted my phone using this guide:
    Then about 3 days later an official OTA update came out and that is one of the reasons. And I know that you could just use toolbox to update but I just blew off the popup for a while. So one day, I got up in the morning and my phone wouldn't turn on, the red light would flash but it wouldn't actually turn on. I looked it up and some people were calling it the death note. But anyway, I didn't want to have to turn my phone in because I wasn't on stock ROM and my binary count was up. So I couldn't turn in, and now I want to unroot completely with no evidence at all. I feel that being rooted is too high of a risk for me right now because I don't know enough about the subject yet and I feel like I could mess up my phone, and I can't afford another. So I just want a completely stock phone with all of my contacts and stuff, and I want TRWP off also. And that's why I came to this forum, to ask for your help.

P.S. Once I got the "death note" I just put it in downloading mode and restarted the phone like that and it has been working fine ever since
    You should be ok... let me look into something. Samsung updates could have released the ma7 stock tar by now. If so I will provide that link. Then when you go back to stock you will be fully updated.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    You should be ok... let me look into something. Samsung updates could have released the ma7 stock tar by now. If so I will provide that link. Then when you go back to stock you will be fully updated.
    Edit: nope this is the most recent one... follow the direction in the unroot tab. I haven't unrooted my gn2 yet but I lost no data doing it this way on my gs3.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Everything worked out great! No data loss, phone is now updated, and TWRP is gone from my phone! Thanks for all of your time and help!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Oraclize View Post
    Everything worked out great! No data loss, phone is now updated, and TWRP is gone from my phone! Thanks for all of your time and help!
    No problem...

hey so i just followed your instructions to root my note 2 on sprint (first time doing this) and I think i succeeded. The reason I rooted was to get access to the free wifi hotspot but I dont see any new app on my phone that will give me access. Any help?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by mathkid76 View Post
    hey so i just followed your instructions to root my note 2 on sprint (first time doing this) and I think i succeeded. The reason I rooted was to get access to the free wifi hotspot but I dont see any new app on my phone that will give me access. Any help?
    Rooting doesn't put any apps on your phone other than superuser. You will have to download and install Wi-Fi tethering just like everyone else. However, if you give me a couple of hours I will provide you a download for it. I am currently shopping....

hey thanks for the quick response. If you could that would be great cause I am tired of using Easy Tether with the usb cord.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  
    Retired Ambassador

hey thanks for the quick response. If you could that would be great cause I am tired of using Easy Tether with the usb cord.
    Here you go... Have at it....

hey just installed it but having trouble picking it up on my computer (windows 8 Lenovo y480) any help or suggestions?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Retired Ambassador

hey just installed it but having trouble picking it up on my computer (windows 8 Lenovo y480) any help or suggestions?
    Nope it works fine for me on default settings...

But you can try this....

I tried to copy the teamepic....zip to the phone as instructed and I get an error in Windows that tells me "Cannot copy item: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." I am new to rooting and this is the first phone I have attempted to root. I appreciate the help, feedback, and patience as I embark into a new world!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  
    Retired Ambassador

That is normally caused by a cheep usb cable. Samsung stock cables are not very good. If you have a external sdcard and a card reader on your computer, remove the card from the phone and put it in your card reader. Then copy the file to the card and reinsert the card into the phone.

If I were you, I would buy a new usb cord. If it is causing that error transferring the team epic file, I sure wouldn't trust it to flash the recovery file using Odin. If it messes up flashing recovery in Odin, it could brick your phone.

How would I be able to tell the USB cable is good when buying one?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Drac151db View Post
    How would I be able to tell the USB cable is good when buying one?
    I like the monster cables. I have had real good luck but they are more expensive. Just look for a heavier thicker chord. While this won't guarantee success, I have had good luck with the heavier thicker cords.
    Thanked by:

I like the monster cables. I have had real good luck but they are more expensive. Just look for a heavier thicker chord. While this won't guarantee success, I have had good luck with the heavier thicker cords.
    I will buy one soon and try the process again. I will let you know my progress after I buy the cord and try again.

OK, Noob with a few questions. Please forgive my ignorance on this, I'm trying to learn quick.

Is there a difference between the TWRP and CMW root kits? Is there a preference of one over the other? I am wanting to root my Sprint GN2 to add the tethering option to it but haven't really hacked a phone since I did it to my HTC Arrive and that didn't require Rooting so I am completely new to this. Prior to that, I did a few odd things with my Axim's but that was more add a program and solder a lead here and there kind of stuff.

Also, what's the one step root programs others have mentioned? I might be more inclined to use them since I really only want to add tethering.

And, in the instructions, it gave a link to the L900VPALJ1 to return the phone to stock. My phone has the L900VPAMA7 build on it. I saw some talk about MA7 but not where I get that version instead of the older one?

Lastly, once rooted, would I have to unroot the phone to get the latest updates and then re-root it again?

Thanks
    Thanks

JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
    The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy S@!t, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

No of the roots he has on here work

I have tried 3 different tethering apps for wifi and can't get any of them to work on my phone, not sure if setting are wrong or what but please help!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by doccase View Post
    No of the roots he has on here work
    I just unrooted and rerooted using both kits without any issues. I'm guessing you either have a bad download or just can't follow directions.
    CurveDave likes this.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

I just unrooted and rerooted using both kits without any issues. I'm guessing you either have a bad download or just can't follow directions.
    Based upon his bad grammer and spelling skills I believe it would be his inability to follow directions.
    CurveDave likes this.

So my rooted note 2 just said I have a systems update... what can I do to get that annoying notification to go away... or in other words can i do a systems update while rooted?

Have I Bricked My Phone?
    I've been unrooted for a while and froze many apps. Today, I realized I wasn't getting voice messages which I attriuted to something I froze. After trying to figure out whcih app to unfreeze, I decided to just do a factory data reset. WRONG choice, apparently. Phone booted but no keyboard, etc... So, I decide to unroot. Now the phone won't boot past "Samsung". Have I bricked it?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Rdean61 View Post
    Have I Bricked My Phone?
    I've been unrooted for a while and froze many apps. Today, I realized I wasn't getting voice messages which I attriuted to something I froze. After trying to figure out whcih app to unfreeze, I decided to just do a factory data reset. WRONG choice, apparently. Phone booted but no keyboard, etc... So, I decide to unroot. Now the phone won't boot past "Samsung". Have I bricked it?
    Flash custom recovery in odin. Then while in custom recovery flash the chameleon fix zip.

Help I followed the method up above for unrooting the Sprint note II to get the new OTA. The download for the firmware was unavailable. I downloaded it from here, . It is stuck on on the Samsung Boot Screen. I tried to remove the battery and reboot it and still stuck. Did I download a bad file? I need help quick. I just want a working phone, how can I get out of this? Is my phone bricked?

EDIT--- UPDATE--- I got it to work by factory rest, gonna reroot and restore and retry the process all over again hope it works this time so I can update and keep everything.
    Last edited by JonasAA85; 05-17-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast