Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    just heard on radio this morning new law thats preventing unlocking of your phones unless get permision from your carrier, now you know they gonna brick all unlocecked phones with or without your permition
  2. #2  
    jdub1981's Avatar

    Posts
    1,363 Posts
    ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Actually I read it and I dont think it says anything specifically about rooting. Also I believe it has more to do with unlocking a phone that is subsidized by your carrier. If you outright own the phone then it is yours to do what you want. I may be wrong though. If rooting is now illegal then consider me a law breaker.

    Sent via Tapatalk
  3. #3  
    Who?'s Avatar

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Ah, so that's why the cops came to my apartment and arrested my roommate this morning.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    subsidized or not they dont want you to unlock your phones and get all that free stuff that normaly you would have to pay for it ,its all about the $$$$$$$$ after the new update lots of phone got bricked already and there will be more to come, good luck to us all
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    keep joking i guess u got $ to buy new phone evry month
  6. #6  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    As the one poster mentioned this is concerning the carriers stopping customers from taking a phone and unlocking it so it can be flashed onto another carrier for use. People that have purchased an "unlocked/GSM" phone outright should be immune to this also.

    As far as rooting your phone is concerned this doesn't cover that area.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  7. #7  
    jdub1981's Avatar

    Posts
    1,363 Posts
    ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    You got to think of your phone in terms of ownership. You think thst when you go to a carrier and sign a contract for 2 years that you own that new phone. But you dont own it. Its basically rent to own. Every month a small amount of your bill goes to pay that phone off. If you unlock a phone and then change carriers you are stealing from the carrier because you didnt pay your phone off first. You dont need to be rooted to unlock. Att will even unlock it for you after you pay it off.

    Sent via Tapatalk
  8. #8  
    Who?'s Avatar

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by JAROSLAW J View Post
    keep joking i guess u got $ to buy new phone evry month
    The inability to legally unlock phones requires you to buy a new one every month? Please explain.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    You got to think of your phone in terms of ownership. You think thst when you go to a carrier and sign a contract for 2 years that you own that new phone. But you dont own it. Its basically rent to own. Every month a small amount of your bill goes to pay that phone off. If you unlock a phone and then change carriers you are stealing from the carrier because you didnt pay your phone off first. You dont need to be rooted to unlock. Att will even unlock it for you after you pay it off.

    Sent via Tapatalk
    you really belive wthat you saying than u got to be kidding me , u had to pay of the phone one way or another if u want to leave carrier the penalty for leaving what u mention is to pay of that phone, thats only small money compering to what they loosing when people root and unlock their phones to use free hot spots and other stuff u know how much uncharged data is floating away, big bucks, thats way there is no more unlimited data plans so they can make some extra money, its like red light camera or speed cameras on road u think they are for your safety ? NNNNNNNOOOOOO they are there to generate revenue
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    The inability to legally unlock phones requires you to buy a new one every month? Please explain.
    i meant if they going to brick your unlocked phone, u gonna have to buy new phone once in while if u got the $
  11. #11  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,439 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    FYI this has nothing to do with rooting or unlocking the boot loader. It is unlocking it the radio to use on other carriers.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  12. #12  
    jdub1981's Avatar

    Posts
    1,363 Posts
    ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by JAROSLAW J View Post
    you really belive wthat you saying than u got to be kidding me , u had to pay of the phone one way or another if u want to leave carrier the penalty for leaving what u mention is to pay of that phone, thats only small money compering to what they loosing when people root and unlock their phones to use free hot spots and other stuff u know how much uncharged data is floating away, big bucks, thats way there is no more unlimited data plans so they can make some extra money, its like red light camera or speed cameras on road u think they are for your safety ? NNNNNNNOOOOOO they are there to generate revenue
    Im not going to argue with you. You seem to be in an argumentative mood based on the way you write. You have your beliefs and I have mine. I will continue to root regardless of the penalty. In this case I believe there are none.

    Sent via Tapatalk
  13. #13  
    dubge's Avatar

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    unlocking bootloader = legal

    rooting = legal

    unlocking radio = illegal


    this has to do with changing the code for the radio
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  14. #14  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dubge View Post
    unlocking bootloader = legal

    rooting = legal

    unlocking radio = illegal


    this has to do with changing the code for the radio
    Thank you. So many people have been giving false and incorrect information. The law is only for the radio, the rooting is still completely legal. Only thing rooting will do is void your warranty but warranties like best buy and square trade will still work with a rooted phone.

    Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
  15. #15  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Rooting and bootloader unlocking is safe only radio unlocks are illegal

    Sent from my refrigerator
  16. #16  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Rooting and bootloader unlocking is safe only radio unlocks are illegal
    See: [MOD] Add APN editor to System Settings and for very useful spot information.
    Last edited by universeand; 01-27-2013 at 11:02 PM.
  17. #17  
    jdub1981's Avatar

    Posts
    1,363 Posts
    ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    It says on gizmodo that jail breaking and rooting will continue to be legal for atleast another 3 years

    Sent via Tapatalk
  18. #18  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Bastards! I 'm here to learn about UN-locking my phone.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Originally Posted by JAROSLAW J
    "you really belive wthat you saying than u got to be kidding me , u had to pay of the phone one way or another if u want to leave carrier the penalty for leaving what u mention is to pay of that phone, thats only small money compering to what they loosing when people root and unlock their phones to use free hot spots and other stuff u know how much uncharged data is floating away, big bucks, thats way there is no more unlimited data plans so they can make some extra money, its like red light camera or speed cameras on road u think they are for your safety ? NNNNNNNOOOOOO they are there to generate revenue"








    Run-on much?
  20. #20  
    NotJustAPhone's Avatar

    Posts
    11,453 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,757 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Chapman View Post
    Run-on much?
    If you don't care for the thread, just move on instead of posting. Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note II
  21. #21  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    I just got my phone 2 weeks ago, AT&T unlocked it. I told them I am getting ready to go out of the country. I'm not even finished with 1 month of my 2 year contract renewal. I've had a long term, in very good standing account, several phones and a complete Uverse package.

    They will unlock any phone after the contract is at 2 years and some phones, according to their "regulations" while it is still on contract.

    Sent from my AWESOME Note 2
  22. #22  

    Default Re: new law bands rooting and unlocking as of 1/26/2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Sine Wave View Post
    Bastards! I 'm here to learn about UN-locking my phone.
    The threads are still here, just do a search

    Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

Similar Threads

  1. Can I root and get rid of bloatware?
    By Davidoo1 in forum Droid Charge Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 01:19 AM
  2. Galaxy Nexus rooting and unlocking questions
    By Techrayder in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 12:07 AM
  3. How to update with root and unlocked bootloader?
    By kprz24 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
  4. Want to root and unlock
    By oneninja in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 05:24 AM
  5. New to android rooting and need a little help
    By logan.fleisher in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM

Posting Permissions

B