Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T Note 2: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

Alright, I have been unsatisfied with the note 2 4.3 OTA update from At&t. I spent the entire day today reading up on odin and putting custom recovery on then flashing custom roms to get what i wanted. I decided to pull the trigger after much reading. I fired up ODIN and put the latest TWRP onto my phone.

All of this is after i have been a "good boy" and never touched anything about rooting or custom roms or recoveries. It goes without saying that I am outside my 1 yr warranty so i couldn't careless about that. After installing TWRP via ODIN i rebooted my phone into recovery mode and low and behold TWRP wont boot, and it stays in stock recovery mode. Does this have something to do with KNOX? Do i need to wait till TWRP is updated to compensate for KNOX?

My phone still completely functions but i do have a "custom binary download" of 2 counts (tried installing TWRP a second time after it didnt work the first) and a "KNOX warranty void" 1.

Again my phone is outside of factory warranty and i dont really give 2 ****s about knox anyway. My desire is to get a kitkat rom installed and get google wallet NFC payment functional b/c AT&T really chapped my rear trying to make me use ISIS.

Any help is appreciated in this slightly noob question.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-09-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Installing custom recovery after OTA 4.3

Yes, it's not working because Knox blocks the attempt to install any custom ROM or recoveries. Not sure if there is a workaround for the AT&T S4 but I have seen people manage to do it on the VZW and Sprint variants

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yes, it's not working because Knox blocks the attempt to install any custom ROM or recoveries. Not sure if there is a workaround for the AT&T S4 but I have seen people manage to do it on the VZW and Sprint variants

That would/will keep me away from Samsung for a while until I read multiple reports that TouchWiz has much less of an impact on performance. It needs a reworking IMO.

CM on OgPro
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    That would/will keep me away from Samsung for a while until I read multiple reports that TouchWiz has much less of an impact on performance. It needs a reworking IMO.

CM on OgPro
    Yup, this is my last Sammy phone for sure. Probably going to use my Jump upgrade to get the Moto X, and then just wait for the X2...

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I liked the Note 3 and S4 before that just fine. Its just that after using some other devices I felt like TouchWiz was a kind of wall between me and maximum performance. There are some really good things about TouchWiz like its built-in font handling and OTG support. We'll see what Sammy comes up with next.

CM on OgPro
    Live long and prosper.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So what's the course of action? Do I have to wait till someone cracks Knox before I can install a custom rom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by mhenne4 View Post
    So what's the course of action? Do I have to wait till someone cracks Knox before I can install a custom rom?

Yeah :\

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I liked the Note 3 and S4 before that just fine. Its just that after using some other devices I felt like TouchWiz was a kind of wall between me and maximum performance. There are some really good things about TouchWiz like its built-in font handling and OTG support. We'll see what Sammy comes up with next.

CM on OgPro
    The way I see it, Samsung is going to do everything they can to prevent people from rooting and flashing ROMs, and if that's true, a lot of people will look for another brand next year

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The way I see it, Samsung is going to do everything they can to prevent people from rooting and flashing ROMs, and if that's true, a lot of people will look for another brand next year

I don't see why Sammy should care. ...gets them out of warranty support...you'd think they'd be glad for this.

CM on OgPro
    Live long and prosper.

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I don't see why Sammy should care. ...gets them out of warranty support...you'd think they'd be glad for this.

CM on OgPro
    Sammy has never made decisions that make sense :\

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

The whole Knox program is a headache. Some good ideas like the permanent counter, but blocking ROM installs is just plain dumb. I ditched Samsung due to TW being bloated, and I haven't regretted it.

As for the OP, yeah, waiting until there is a fix is what is going to have to happen. Unless you reflash TWRP, and while its on you flash a custom ROM.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    The whole Knox program is a headache. Some good ideas like the permanent counter, but blocking ROM installs is just plain dumb. I ditched Samsung due to TW being bloated, and I haven't regretted it.

As for the OP, yeah, waiting until there is a fix is what is going to have to happen. Unless you reflash TWRP, and while its on you flash a custom ROM.

Samsung thought they could pass off their attempt at preventing ROMs as "security"
    Should've just made a separate edition with Knox on it. Imagine, Galaxy S4 Business Edition...lol

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Samsung thought they could pass off their attempt at preventing ROMs as "security"
    Should've just made a separate edition with Knox on it. Imagine, Galaxy S4 Business Edition...lol

And charge an extra $100 for it. We better stop. We have now almost completely hijacked the thread.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post

That's the problem I have. I've flashed twrp via Odin, after it is flashed I turn phone off and boot up in recovery mode (vol up home and power) and it refuses to go into twrp. It stays in the stock recovery. If twrp took I could flash the rom and be fine but twrp is being blocked or something

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

That's the problem I have. I've flashed twrp via Odin, after it is flashed I turn phone off and boot up in recovery mode (vol up home and power) and it refuses to go into twrp. It stays in the stock recovery. If twrp took I could flash the rom and be fine but twrp is being blocked or something

Knox is blocking it. It's "security" and if someone was trying to get your personal info or use your phone as their own, rooting and flashing ROMs would be a threat. That's why it's blocked

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Knox is blocking it. It's "security" and if someone was trying to get your personal info or use your phone as their own, rooting and flashing ROMs would be a threat. That's why it's blocked

As I understood Knox it was for cubicle world and ensuring that people who use their phones for work would have an extra level of security for sensitive work information.

As for Knox for the regular Joe blow, I didn't think Knox really did any thing at all.

Am I understanding Knox correctly or am I ignorant when it comes to what Knox is supposed to be for.

Global Posts
    5,538 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

As I understood Knox it was for cubicle world and ensuring that people who use their phones for work would have an extra level of security for sensitive work information.

As for Knox for the regular Joe blow, I didn't think Knox really did any thing at all.

Am I understanding Knox correctly or am I ignorant when it comes to what Knox is supposed to be for.

There are two kinds of accounts with Knox. One is for the corporate world like you said. And the second is for the average user, but it still blocks any attempts at any software that isn't official for the same reasons

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I think if Knox becomes more and more obstructive, there will be more people leaving Samsung like UJ said.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Yea Knox has really chapped my *** thus far. I get it if my employer says you can't screw with your phone because it's for work. But I'm an end user of my device and I have this noble notion of using it as I see fit.

I'm faithful that the devs will find a fix but I suck at waiting patiently

Global Posts
    6,212 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Yea Knox has really chapped my *** thus far. I get it if my employer says you can't screw with your phone because it's for work. But I'm an end user of my device and I have this noble notion of using it as I see fit.

I'm faithful that the devs will find a fix but I suck at waiting patiently

Its easy enough to avoid using Samsung devices. We lose less than nothing by avoiding Knox infested hardware. At least that is my perspective.

CM on OgPro
    Live long and prosper.

Flash it with cwm then use the cwn ap

Flash cwm then use the su app from chainfire when I ran it it asked if I wanted to try to disable knox I said yes and it did. Then I could download and install the binary. Then I just launched the cwm app and told it to install itself. Im on sprint sgs4
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarsDad View Post
    Flash it with cwm then use the cwn ap

Flash cwm then use the su app from chainfire when I ran it it asked if I wanted to try to disable knox I said yes and it did. Then I could download and install the binary. Then I just launched the cwm app and told it to install itself. Im on sprint sgs4
    Does this disable the Knox bootloader? Cause the issue is Knox is stopping the entire process by preventing me from using a custom recovery

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

I dont think this is it. That sounds to much like CrApple. Android is Linux which is an open operating system. My thinking is that regardless of it being open or not Samsung is not responsible with giving proprietary software to the end user so we can "hack" their hardware. The options are there to run software and its up to us to create a means to do so. I.e. 4.3 is new and no such software specifically for the note 2 (your carrier) is available to hack it yet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Does this disable the Knox bootloader? Cause the issue is Knox is stopping the entire process by preventing me from using a custom recovery

On this subject I have read that knox isnt designed to block flashing of anything. The user has the right to flash whatever they want. What does happen is once knox detects the flash, knox then becomes forever disabled even after flashing back to stock or factory reset. Knox is supposedly built into the kernel so that it can see everything. Knox was designed to be a security feature for the enterprise consumer such as goverment, medical field, large corporation etc. It would allow buisness admin to secure devices so no outside entities could hack into the corparations. If you dont need that, then who cares if knox is disabled. If your company owns your phone leave it stock, otherwise do as you please.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by jdub1981 View Post
    On this subject I have read that knox isnt designed to block flashing of anything. The user has the right to flash whatever they want. What does happen is once knox detects the flash, knox then becomes forever disabled even after flashing back to stock or factory reset. Knox is supposedly built into the kernel so that it can see everything. Knox was designed to be a security feature for the enterprise consumer such as goverment, medical field, large corporation etc. It would allow buisness admin to secure devices so no outside entities could hack into the corparations. If you dont need that, then who cares if knox is disabled. If your company owns your phone leave it stock, otherwise do as you please.

That makes a lot of sense and I can see the practical applications of Knox. However I have attempted to install a custom recovery and then from the recovery flash a rom. I have made sure I'm using all resources designed for my device, the problem still remains that it will not boot into twrp after I flash it in odin. It reverts back to the stock recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast