Rooting for dummies, or desperately trying to avoid OTA 4.3 update

radiohawk

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Reposted as I was informed kindly first attempt was in wrong forum:

Have been hounded unmercifully to update to 4.3 (Sprint G Note 2 by the way). Have been a casual reader here for some time, debating a return to Windows mobile (WP 8.1) but have enough time/money invested in Android handsets that I want to explore the possibility that this ignoramus might be able to root. Hopefully this is the right place to ask for guidance on the subject. My purpose in rooting is a combination of what I call trying to regain a semblance of control of privacy, control of my handset.. And control of my storage. Simply put, I like the concept partially presented in 4.3 of permissions control (appsop?) and moving apps to the SD card. So here's where I get lost in the root adventure regarding Samsung devices - lots of chatter everywhere about knox and no return, Odin? being required, and a few bricks to the wet behind the ear crowd (that's me:))

Long winded way of asking for help, I find most sights lose sight of how far ahead they are of a Noob, is there no step 1 to step 30 (or 300 as the case may be) way to root starting with best backup practice and ending with an environment similar to Current with user control of permissions and app location?

Thanks for any help that the community might share.

Posted via Android Central App

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yes, rooting a Samsung device can be confusing at first especially when you throw ODIN into the equation but I can honestly say that once you learn how to do it you'll be shocked at how easy it actually is. I found a thread over on XDA that has a full guide on how to root. It even has videos :)

I find it easier to learn how to do something when I have a visual aid. I learned how to root all my devices via YouTube.....lol

[Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V4.1.0 SPRINT] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery, Flash to Stock - xda-developers

radiohawk

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, rooting a Samsung device can be confusing at first especially when you throw ODIN into the equation but I can honestly say that once you learn how to do it you'll be shocked at how easy it actually is. I found a thread over on XDA that has a full guide on how to root. It even has videos :)

I find it easier to learn how to do something when I have a visual aid. I learned how to root all my devices via YouTube.....lol

[Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V4.1.0 SPRINT] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery, Flash to Stock - xda-developers

Thanks for your quick response :), maybe before I go too far down this road you can answer a question or two

1. After rooting will I still get the notice - demand really - to install 4.3, and will installing that OTA put knox on my phone (if so how do I avoid it)
2. Can I get the benefit of 4.3 (ie appops and apps to SD card) somewhere else

It seems all I hear about is knox issues, battery life and glitches from Samsung update

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
No problem :)

Thanks for your quick response :), maybe before I go too far down this road you can answer a question or two

1. After rooting will I still get the notice - demand really - to install 4.3, and will installing that OTA put knox on my phone (if so how do I avoid it)
Because I pretty much root my devices right out the box, I haven't seen an OTA update in years. Even before I root I have a custom ROM picked out ready to flash! I would hold off on installing the update. Just root then flash a ROM. I'm currently running a 4.3 ROM and don't have any issues with anything.
2. Can I get the benefit of 4.3 (ie appops and apps to SD card) somewhere else
Yup, custom ROMs my friend. As I said above, I'm running a 4.3 ROM for now and it gives me all the goodies with TouchWiz :)

It seems all I hear about is knox issues, battery life and glitches from Samsung update

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Odin is by far the easiest to use to root a samsung note 2. Use the CFautoroot method with the ODIN program. Typically when you download the cfautoroot odin comes with it.

1. Download the program on your pc. Unzip it.
2. Make sure windows note 2 drivers are installed (if your phone is recognized when you plug it in to the pc then your drivers are good)
3. Turn phone completely off. Now press and hold the home button, while holding the home press volume down and hold, now press and hold the power button. This can be done in 2 seconds I just wanted to make sure you understood the process. The phone will boot into download mode. You will presented with a screen about possible damage. Click continue
4. Open the ODIN program and plug your phone into the pc. Odin will recognize the phone and the status bar should be yellow at the top left. Click pda button this will open the folder with cfautoroot file. Click and highlight the file and. Click open. Now click the start button.

5. This process should only take about 30-45 seconds. The file will upload to your device. It will then root. You will see a bunch of stuff on your phone screen. It will then auto reboot. When it reboots odin should say root successful or something to that extent. When the phone turns on will say updating apps. Once the phone is back up to the lockscreen go ahead and unplug from your pc. Congrats you are rooted. Entire process from file download to completion is maybe 5 minutes.

6. SuperSU is the root app and it will most likely need to be updated. I think it can be updated from the playstore like normal. From here id install the free app goomanager and use that to install the TWRP recovery which is built into the app. The option is to install recovery script.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Reposted as I was informed kindly first attempt was in wrong forum:

Have been hounded unmercifully to update to 4.3 (Sprint G Note 2 by the way). Have been a casual reader here for some time, debating a return to Windows mobile (WP 8.1) but have enough time/money invested in Android handsets that I want to explore the possibility that this ignoramus might be able to root. Hopefully this is the right place to ask for guidance on the subject. My purpose in rooting is a combination of what I call trying to regain a semblance of control of privacy, control of my handset.. And control of my storage. Simply put, I like the concept partially presented in 4.3 of permissions control (appsop?) and moving apps to the SD card. So here's where I get lost in the root adventure regarding Samsung devices - lots of chatter everywhere about knox and no return, Odin? being required, and a few bricks to the wet behind the ear crowd (that's me:))

Long winded way of asking for help, I find most sights lose sight of how far ahead they are of a Noob, is there no step 1 to step 30 (or 300 as the case may be) way to root starting with best backup practice and ending with an environment similar to Current with user control of permissions and app location?

Thanks for any help that the community might share.

If you want to do a good backup then use Kies to do that. Kies is like itunes. Just tell it what you want backed up and walk away. It can do a thorough backup if you want it to. Other wise just use the samsung and google clouds along with whatver else cloud you want.

If you want to stop being harassed about 4.3 root will not give it to you. You must flash either a new recovery or new rom. Root alone will not give you apps2sd either. You will either need 4.3 or a rom with that compatibility. If privacy is what you seek then rooting is most definitely not recommended. You open yourself up to even less protection IMO.

Personally id say just do a complete backup. Take 4.3 update. When it is done installing turn your phone off and press home volume up and the power button. The phone will boot to stock recovery. Now choose the option to factory reset. This will erase everything. Now choose wipe cache and then reboot. Now your phone will have 4.3 fresh with none of the issues that go along with updating to a new OS. Type your google and samsung account information and either restore from the cloud or Kies.

Both myself l, my fathr and a 2 friends from work have the note 2. Nobody is complaining here.

radiohawk

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If you want to do a good backup then use Kies to do that. Kies is like itunes. Just tell it what you want backed up and walk away. It can do a thorough backup if you want it to. Other wise just use the samsung and google clouds along with whatver else cloud you want.

If you want to stop being harassed about 4.3 root will not give it to you. You must flash either a new recovery or new rom. Root alone will not give you apps2sd either. You will either need 4.3 or a rom with that compatibility. If privacy is what you seek then rooting is most definitely not recommended. You open yourself up to even less protection IMO.

Personally id say just do a complete backup. Take 4.3 update. When it is done installing turn your phone off and press home volume up and the power button. The phone will boot to stock recovery. Now choose the option to factory reset. This will erase everything. Now choose wipe cache and then reboot. Now your phone will have 4.3 fresh with none of the issues that go along with updating to a new OS. Type your google and samsung account information and either restore from the cloud or Kies.

Both myself l, my fathr and a 2 friends from work have the note 2. Nobody is complaining here.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply, I will reflect on all of the insite shared... One thing though I am trying to avoid is Samsung knox... Wife has S3 as well as my daughter, and a few acquaintances all complaining about 4.3, and if now is the time to learn about root, don't want to worry about what knox might prevent me from doing :) again consider the Noob when reading this book

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Knox does not prevent root. Not one single bit. Some people on here just dont know how to do it. Sometimes when a new update comes out a new root file is needed to create the root. Same with jailbreak if you are at all familiar with that for iphone. It seems that the old odin and root file doesnt work anymore. No matter, both the file and Odin have been updated to facilitate the changes. If you REALLY want to know about root the single best resource for all thing root is the xda forums. I believe it is www.xda-developers.com from there just browse to your forums for the note 2 and carrier.

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
4.3 on the note 2 is not the same on the s3. The hardware is way ahead in terms of state of the art for the note2. The note 2 has sold 10s of millions of units. If 4.3 was really that bad the forums would be inundated with the new people complaining. its not. Some are complaining but no more really than before 4.3 came out. I myself love it and have jo complaints. Ive had my note 2 since nov 2012 a week after its initial release. To me it is still the best phone ive ever had. Best of luck in whatever you choose. Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan