Help rooting Note 2 running 4.4

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Received OTA 4.4 on my never-rooted AT&T Note 2 I317. Looking to use some root-only app features, so followed instructions in the sticky thread for TWRP variant. Pretty much successful except for discrepancies noted below. However, apps report that the phone does not have root access. Powerup now has a long frozen pause followed by "unfortunately superuser has stopped". Once running, the "unfortulately" message comes up frequently. There's a Superuser app in the app drawer, but it immediately goes to the "unfortulately" message. Research here and in XDA suggests knox is stopping superuser. Several approaches to killing knox do not work until root is successful, which is no help. Knox removal based on going into the app drawer and opening knox fail because there's no knox icon in the app drawer. I did force stop on all processes named knox but it was no help. i read that supersu app would help but it says that there's no su binary installed and i need to re-root. re-rooting does not seem to change anything. Suggestions?

Update: I see some advice involving philz recovery and supersu, using odin 3.09, but every post I see says it's only for the note N7100. Can I use this on the I317???

my discrepancies:
1. odin could not find a recovery.tar.md5 file. i found a recovery.img file and i found instructions for converting .img to .tar.md5
2. at odin completion i wanted to see PASS before the phone rebooted however ODIN said RESET and phone rebooted before PASS. However, when putting phone into recovery it loaded TWRP so I felt that it had been successful.
3. TWRP failed MDF and zip signature checks on teamepic-root-from-recovery-v5.zip but if I allowed TWRP to ignore these warnings it said that installation was successful.

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. Just got it figured tonight. I got all the way to the point you are at and just got the supersu has stopped.

Go into your stock application manager and go to the "all" section. Disable Knox 3.0. Now immediately open the supersu app. It will open and tell ask if you want to disable knox click yes or ok or whatever is there. If you hesitate it may fail to disable. If it works it should immediately open supersu. Now once SuperSU opens go the settings page and tell it to install as system app.

Also, prior to doing this go into play store and update to the newest supersu app.

Tappin on a phablet.

tmp3150

Banned
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
what did you use to install the twrp and what did you use to root the att note 2? I tried the cfautoroot and it didn't work

Last edited: