Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Default Very Interested in Note 2. Worried about one handed use!

I'm so tempted to wait for this, but I've heard so many things from reviewers saying that it's just way too uncomfortable for constant use. The one handed use ability seems very uncomfortable. Does anyone else have thoughts or perspective on this?

Default Re: Very Interested in Note 2. Worried about one handed use!

Have you tried the original Note?

The original Note (which I spent an hour handling at an AT&T store) is thin and comfortable in my small hands. Although I couldn't use it singlehandedly, I might be able to use the slightly narrower Note II with one hand most of the time---after a bit of practice. For my use, the large format is worth some awkward singlehanded use.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Curious, what's all the fuss about needing to use only one hand? Why is it important? I have an original EVO now and use both my hands for operation. One hand to hold, the other to make selections. The Note 2 is really tempting to me, but what am I missing about needing to use only one hand?

Quick things like a reply to one text or to quickly navigate things you need to check. I'm in college and one hand is how I use my phone in classes. It's all preference really. I know when I switch up to this I'll learn to adapt.

Evil Evo

untitled.bmpOnly those with BK Hands are concerned...
    mrjoshw and nokia4life like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Star General View Post
    untitled.bmpOnly those with BK Hands are concerned...
    LMAO
    Can't wait for this to drop on Sprint. Glad I waited was about to get the S3.

I would not get this expecting to use it one handed- exclusively. Although they did make it a bit more narrow, unless you have very large hands, I doubt you can use the GNote 2 with one hand for a sustained period. For me, anything larger than the SGS III means no sustained one handed use. Just my .02 cents.
    Last edited by planoman; 09-17-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I would not get this expecting to use it one handed. Although they did make it a bit more narrow, unless you have very large hands, I doubt you can use the GNote 2 with one hand for a sustained period. For me, anything larger than the SGS III means no sustained one handed use. Just my .02 cents.
    It will have a feature built in for one handed use. You can shift the keyboard for right or left handed use.

Last edited by riceastwood; 09-17-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added link
    Thanked by 2:

Shut up and take my money!

The OG GNote has it also. I tried it, but it switching it back and forth from full sized to one handed takes more time than the usefulness for typing IMO. Plus you will still try to use it for apps one handed. I love the size for typing with two hands! Nice and roomy!

In all honesty unless you have MASSIVE hands this phone is not meant to be used with one hand. I like that they included a feature that would make it possible but I don't see a lot of one handed use out of this thing. I do have pretty big hands though so I don't know. That's why some people really don't care for this phablet device. It's "too big". I think it's right around the size phone I'm looking for.

I have very small hands and have no problem with one handed use BUT you can't palm it, you have to sort of cradle it with your fingers. As someone already said,the Note 2 is a more narrow so im sure this was an emphasis when developing. Those Asians have smallish hands too so that probably came into play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    hummingbirdhill likes this.

The only time I would need to do a one hand operation is when I'm driving which is a no no so one hand is not an issue.
    Even when I had my iPhone, I never really used my phone one handed.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This might be the first phone that will make me type with two thumbs in portrait mode, currently I only do that in landscape mode. When I see my friend typing with her two thumbs on her iphone 4 I just wonder how she spells anything right, then again, she has tiny hands. I currently have a gs3 and while there are times where I use it with one hand, there's no way I could only use it with one hand only. My thumb just won't make it to the top of the opposite side of the screen. I remember when people complained about the evos 4.3" screen being too big, and here comes Samsung with a huge set of attachments and drops the Note onto the unsuspecting mobile world, and the thing becomes a hit! Those guys take chances and innovate, Apple just sells the same crap over and over, and people buy it. I wonder if the iphone worshippers will ever get tired of buying the same phone over and over. Apple points out in their little promo movie how much detail went into the machining and stuff like that which most iphone users don't give a rats hairy behind about. All that industrial "beauty" gets covered up with some gawdy hot pink cheap case as soon as the phone is bought, but that's what apple has to keep harping on to justify the rather small changes made to the phone. Anyways back to the topic, if you buy a phone as large as the note, don't complain about the screen being too big for one handed use. That's like buying a huge truck and complaining about bad gas mileage. I think the only modern phone that can fully be used with just one hand is the iphone. Maybe that's why it's so popular? After all, texting and driving is soooo important (sarcasm).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Since when did we really care about being able to use the phone with just one hand? I think it's all because Apple said their new Iphone 5 can use it with just one hand, everyone thinks you have to use one hand only. BTW, I have Galaxy Nexus and I am able to use it with just one hand without any problem. And when I get my Note 2, I am going to use whatever I want to use. I don't care what Apple thinks, if I want to use one hand or two hands or ask my friend's hands. This is my phone, you don't tell me how to use my phone!

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

I'm just a little disappointed that the note 2's screen is narrower than the note 1. I'm not sure why they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by cw0974 View Post
    I'm just a little disappointed that the note 2's screen is narrower than the note 1. I'm not sure why they did that.
    Display is 5.5"---slightly larger than original Note's display. Vertical bezel is very narrow which apparently makes the Note II slightly narrower in width.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdhill View Post
    Display is 5.5"---slightly larger than original Note's display. Vertical bezel is very narrow which apparently makes the Note II slightly narrower in width.
    Really liked the size of the 5.5, but didn't know it was going to become narrower. I liked the original note size. I might have to wait and see it with my eyes to know if I would buy it or not.

Really liked the size of the 5.5, but didn't know it was going to become narrower. I liked the original note size. I might have to wait and see it with my eyes to know if I would buy it or not.
    The Note II display is 5.5" . . .
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    ROM
    custom StreakDroid ROM

Physical dimension of the phone IS narrower, by about 2mm. But the width of the screen is about the same, if not a smidge wider. The screen is a bit taller, taking up the space where the capacitive buttons are on the original Note. The overall phone is narrower by 2mm but taller by 4mm.

While I agree that the look of the squarish Note1 gave it a very distinctive look and that the Note2 is much more like a scaled up GalaxyS3, I think the overall phone experience should be better. Huge bump-up in specs plus an improved and re-thought S-pen should make it a great device.
    mellojoe
    the one, the only

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Apparently, these dimensions allow the display to show video, etc., in 16:9, so we won't be watching content with those lovely black bars above and below the image. That's right, "Big Top Pee Wee" in full HD view, right out to the edges of the screen!!
    Ported myself over from Palm III/V/Zire --> Treo 700p --> Pre - --> Touchpad (2 x 16gb) --> Photon 4G---> Fabulous Galaxy Note II on Sprint
    Uncle Louie likes this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I was worried about this as well, so I've been playing around with the Note 1 in stores when I see it. I must have larger hands then I thought because I was easily able to handle the Note 1 with one hand. With the Note 2 being slimmer in width, it might be a bit easier for one handed use.

Global Posts
    1,031 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

I'll be using this on my Note 2...

I have it on my SIII, and it rocks. Pretty expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I mounted mine on my TPU case.
    Thanked by:

The 5.5" Note 2 screen is .1" narrower than the 5.3" Note screen because of the 16:9 aspect ratio. It's .3" taller.

I have small hands and a note. I have used it one handed for calls and texting and Web browsing. Most of the time I use it two-handed but that's probably because i use the s-pen a lot. It's easy to hold one-handed, resting on your little finger. Fire longer documents just hook it up to a Bluetooth keyboard, by longer I mean a PhD thesis. The note II looks more phonelike, probably to help people like me remember that it's a phone when forcing it to operate like a laptop.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast