Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By planoman
  • 1 Post By AnnDroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen comparisons

How similar would you say the screen is between the Note2 and the S3?

I went into a Sprint store today and looked at the S3, just to give myself something to do while waiting for the Note2. I picked up a white S3 and was surprised that when I opened Gmail the background was a greyish color. I checked the Display settings and it was set to the brightest setting. I thought maybe the display model was faulty, so I picked up the blue S3. Same thing. Thinking I must have set my expectations too high, I picked up the EVO LTE and it's background in Gmail was very close to pure white. Is this common in super AMOLED?

Should I expect the Note2 to have the same greyish white? I would guess I wouldn't notice it after a while, but getting a white phone sure does allow you to see the difference in the white plastic and the non white display.

Default Re: Screen comparisons

I am not sure about color cast, however the Note II will have a much better screen than the SIII due to it moving away from the PenTile matrix used in the SIII. Here is an awesome review of the Note II.

Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 preview: A closer look - GSMArena.com

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you! I now remember reading about the non PenTile screen, but completely forgot when I held the S3. Like you said, remains to be seen about the color cast.

I don't have a link for you but if you'll look for videos with the S3 and GN2 together you will see white is definitely more white on the GN2. Not perfect but MUCH mo' bettah!

This is probably the video you're talking about?

Around the 3:40 mark, they have both phones showing a fully white screen. The GN2 definitely looks whiter, but I dunno if the GS3's brightness setting was turned all the way up.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sh3ngLong View Post
    This is probably the video you're talking about?

Around the 3:40 mark, they have both phones showing a fully white screen. The GN2 definitely looks whiter, but I dunno if the GS3's brightness setting was turned all the way up.
    That is one of the videos, yes, but not the only one.
    The white of the pentile screens has been my deciding factor in not choosing several Samsung phones, and it looks like the non-pentile screen of the Note 2 may be the one that I can deal with. It gives a better white, period. Below is a link to a review that explains it and shows the difference under a microscope.

This gives a much better explanation than I can; hope this helps! :-)
    Last edited by soulsmilen; 09-23-2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added 'under a microscope'
    ~ Denise

One day I'll choose a new phone, but it's gotta Wow me! : )
    Thanked by:

I was fine with the screen on my OG Galaxy Note and the SGSIII. The GNote 2 does seems to have a much whiter screen which makes sense with the RGB screen versus the pentile. Although the ppi is going from 285 to 267 it should still be a great looking screen. Can't wait to see it in person.

Edit: Just saw the comparison on the previous post from GSM Arena and I am really excited to see this screen!
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    Uncle Louie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I was fine with the screen on my OG Galaxy Note and the SGSIII. The GNote 2 does seems to have a much whiter screen which makes sense with the RGB screen versus the pentile. Although the ppi is going from 285 to 267 it should still be a great looking screen. Can't wait to see it in person.

Edit: Just saw the comparison on the previous post from GSM Arena and I am really excited to see this screen!
    I'm excited to see it, too... can't wait!
    ~ Denise

I just saw Dachness's 2nd link - didn't realize it was the review I posted also. Sorry for the duplicate.
    Last edited by soulsmilen; 09-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    ~ Denise

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Auto adjust screen tone was probably checked on the gs3. Once you uncheck that option the whites become true whites. Supposedlythe gn2's screen will be slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac33 View Post
    Auto adjust screen tone was probably checked on the gs3. Once you uncheck that option the whites become true whites. Supposedlythe gn2's screen will be slightly better.
    True white - GS3 or Pentile = Oxymoron

No offense, but I think people get used to the blue and/or gray white and forget that it's no where near true white.
    ~ Denise

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soulsmilen View Post
    True white - GS3 or Pentile = Oxymoron

No offense, but I think people get used to the blue and/or gray white and forget that it's no where near true white.
    I used true for lack of a better word at that moment. I understand what you're trying to say. My response still stays though. Once they turn off the auto adjust screen tone they'll see what I mean.

Here is a new review that goes into detail about the screen:

Samsung Galaxy Note II Review
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Dachness, thank you! That review also included a review for the speaker. I am now ready for Samsung to TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE!!!!!!
    hummingbirdhill likes this.

I hope coming from the iPhone 5 I have now to the note 2 won't make me upset. I'm gonna give my 5 to my Gf and use her upgrade for the note 2.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by ITSMEDAVD View Post
    I hope coming from the iPhone 5 I have now to the note 2 won't make me upset. I'm gonna give my 5 to my Gf and use her upgrade for the note 2.
    Ahhh, I miss being able to do this. My hubby's upgrade was exactly a year after mine. He never cared what phone he had so I got a new phone every year. Now he's on a Pay-As-You-Go phone; good for him, bad for me. I hate having to decide on a phone that will last me 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnDroid View Post
    Ahhh, I miss being able to do this. My hubby's upgrade was exactly a year after mine. He never cared what phone he had so I got a new phone every year. Now he's on a Pay-As-You-Go phone; good for him, bad for me. I hate having to decide on a phone that will last me 2 years.
    Great (former) arrangement!
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

GN2 definitely has a blue screen. Im running max brightness and it looks ok straight on but at any angle its blue. Coming from HTC EVO LTE.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

The white balance on amoled screens is the only thing I don't like about this phone. But on the note 2 it is better than the note 1 and nexus phones I used before, still not perfect though.

I'm still of the opinion that if they put the same quality screen that is on the HTC 1X or any iphone on this (in the note size of course) that it would be perfect all the way around.

I'm still a little concerned about burn in, but the bigger blue pixels hopefully helps with that.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I was all ready to upgrade today, love everything about the phone but I hate the screen. Too dim and blue. I really like the HTC's screens much better. I hope Sprint will get a JButterfly varient.

Does the environment light (outside---sunny/rainy/overcast or inside---various types of lightbulbs) affect the screen tint from diverse sizes & colours of pixels?
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Quote Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
    I was all ready to upgrade today, love everything about the phone but I hate the screen. Too dim and blue. I really like the HTC's screens much better. I hope Sprint will get a JButterfly varient.
    Theres a trade off to the dimmer screens.... Battery life