Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?

I've been looking at this phone and all I can say is that it looks like a monster of a phone. I've had the iPhone 4S since Christmas and I've been getting pretty bored with it, especially after seeing what the iPhone 5 is all about. I have experience with Android devices: I currently own a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (which doesn't seem as awesome as the Note 2), and I previously owned an OG Droid and a Thunderbolt, but I switched to the iPhone because I was sick of the T-Bolt's battery life (which, unfortunately for me, despite it being a 3G phone, the battery life still sucked) and Siri looked sort of cool (which is now kinda a gimmick to me), and iOS maps is terrible; I also switched because I didn't want to carry around a phone and an iPod touch at the same time anymore. But I think the Note looks awesome; however:

-A huge screen looks great, but I don't think it would fit well in my pants pocket (nor would it be comfortable). I'm not willing to to carry a holster because I think they're a hassle and don't look very good (keep in mind I'm in high school, so style kind of matters to me).
    -It would also seem awkward to hold to my ear during a call. I don't want a Bluetooth handset because I don't want to have that thing on my ear all the time. I do have a pair of earbuds with a mic, however.
    -I have a large library of music on my iTunes library, so not only do I not know how to transfer iTunes content to Android, I'm also not sure whether or not this would be a very good device for music (for running, working out, ect.). I also don't want to spend the money on another MP3 player.

Unfortunately, other than MAYBE the Lumia 920, there doesn't seem to be a smartphone as awesome as this looks. So how do I do this?

Default Re: Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?

Quote Originally Posted by PrisonedMuffin View Post
    I have a large library of music on my iTunes library, so not only do I not know how to transfer iTunes content to Android, I'm also not sure whether or not this would be a very good device for music (for running, working out, ect.). I also don't want to spend the money on another MP3 player.
    As far as music goes. You can get a Google music account which will sync your music off of your computer Itunes included (Some older Itunes music, which is protected, will not transfer). It will stream over 3g, 4g or Wifi. In addition to playing the music that you add to your online music library, you can play music stored on your device’s internal storage, so you can listen to music when you don’t have an Internet connection. Although I don't remember how much music it will allow offline.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo4g View Post
    As far as music goes. You can get a Google music account which will sync your music off of your computer Itunes included (Some older Itunes music, which is protected, will not transfer). It will stream over 3g, 4g or Wifi. In addition to playing the music that you add to your online music library, you can play music stored on your device’s internal storage, so you can listen to music when you don’t have an Internet connection. Although I don't remember how much music it will allow offline.
    Are you talking about Google Music? Yeah you could do that or simply just drop all your songs into 1 music folder and simply put it on the SD card haha.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks.

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

This based from using a 3gs, 4, 4s and then moving to a Note 1 and hopefully a Note 2 soon.

1. The big screen is great to look at but yes if you are one of those people that like skinny jeans than the phone will print a bit. I have generally all relaxed fit jeans and they don't print much or at all unless you sit down. Sitting isn't uncomfortable but you can plainly see the phone.

2. Actually holding the phone isn't awkward. It is bigger but it puts the mic closer to your mouth and the earpiece closer to your ear, generally call quality is as good or better. As far as looks how weird do people holding a desk phone receiver up look? I personally don't care but earbuds with mic or bluetooth headsets are options. Your carrier is going to have more to say about call quality than any of these things really.

3a. I got a 64gb microSD and this Note is my podcast/ipod device. Hardware size isn't an issue for me, I just put it in pants or shorts pocket. Audio quality is a bit sub par, on silent places you can barely hear the radio noise of something. Hopefully the Note 2 is much better, I didn't see people complaining about the S3 so it likely is.

3b. Software wise you are best off with Doubletwist and going pro to get AirSync and the graphic eq. Or save a bit and just get AirSync, it imports your itunes music and playlists and puts it on your phone (or SD card) via WiFi very easily. This was my impression on Doubletwist/AirSync

If you wanted you could try to dork around with some folder sync software like FolderSync which will take your itunes music folder that you share on your computer and sync it to a folder on your phone. I found it to be slow and buggy, went Doubletwist and didn't look back.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for all the feedback! This looks like it just very well might be the best phone out there. I was hoping the iPhone 5 would be revolutionary, but I was disappointed because it's only .5 in taller and it has the exact same features as my 4S on iOS 6. Sure, it might be critically acclaimed, it might be the best iPhone yet, and it might be the most powerful smartphone at the moment (at least compared to the US S3) but it seems like more of the same. Plus the Note 2 has a one-handed mode, so I can still use it with one hand, to some extent.

Also, did any of you guys get it in the UK or ordered the international version? I live in the US so I have a bit of waiting to do, so I just want to see if this thing is as good as people say it is.
    Thanked by:
    serpico likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Actually I have a question. I asked earlier whether or not this phone would be good for music while working out and running. Would I be okay with just this or if I would be better off with getting an iPod touch 5 as well?

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

I'd give it a try first before spending more money. If it works out for your money saved.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

This is a great thread. I would also like to move from an iPhone 4S to a Note2. My aging eyes need the large screen, and neuropathic fingertips will appreciate the pen.
    BUT, (and its a big but), How do I reliably, and hopefully, simply, move all my calendar entries and contacts, memos and Evernote stuff, from the iPhone to the Note 2? I don't use google for my calendar or contacts (but I do have a google email address), must I in order to make the transition?
    I use apple's calendar (along with Week Cal), apple's contacts, and iCloud.
    I am assuming that I can drag and drop my music and photos.
    Thanks to all who respond.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Everything you need to know can be found at following link.
    This is a common question with well established solutions. Good luck

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    rand0m9val02 

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Fantastic. Very helpful. Thanks.

@ raffitou thx for the link. Quite useful

Altho I still haven't figured out how to copy my imap( google map before ios6 ) bookmarks over to a Galaxy Note 2 ...... anyone ?

I can say hands down, the Galaxy Note II is a revolutionary device. It redefines what it means to own a smartphone today. With that said, it is a very large device. Looks slim in your pocket, buuuut...it is uncomfortable to sit with, hard to run up steps, not every pants works the device. But it is worth it. But coming from the iPhone 4s? I came from a Galaxy S2 4.5" screen.

Doesn't feel awkward to hold to your ear at all. Just a little bit slenderness (compared to original Note) makes this phone look normal next to your head.

Not a good device for working out. It already fell out of my gym shorts when doing bench presses. But great for watching movies on the cardio machine if it has a book stand.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
    Check out my huge collection of (Demos, Accessory Reviews)
    Last edited by Lucidmike; 10-27-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidmike View Post
    Not a good device for working out. It already fell out of my gym shorts when doing bench presses. But great for watching movies on the cardio machine if it has a book stand.
    I go to the gym as well.... planning on getting one of these. Pick one:-

Waist Packs
    Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?-417dayx3kxl._aa300_.jpg
    Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?-p9906602nm.jpg
    Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?-mki9bf7k83-vjqzbafziujw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rablaw View Post
    This is a great thread. I would also like to move from an iPhone 4S to a Note2. My aging eyes need the large screen, and neuropathic fingertips will appreciate the pen.
    BUT, (and its a big but), How do I reliably, and hopefully, simply, move all my calendar entries and contacts, memos and Evernote stuff, from the iPhone to the Note 2? I don't use google for my calendar or contacts (but I do have a google email address), must I in order to make the transition?
    I use apple's calendar (along with Week Cal), apple's contacts, and iCloud.
    I am assuming that I can drag and drop my music and photos.
    Thanks to all who respond.
    I to have aging eyes, and was wondering if you can increase the fonts on this phone, e.g., Home screen.

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baygolf View Post
    I to aging eyes amd was wondering if you can increase the fonts on this phone
    Within reason yes. I actually wanted to make fonts etc smaller to really take advantage of the bigger screen. Most good apps have that in settings. I still wish I could zoom out beyond 100% in K-9 and see a whole page in portrait. With the big screen it opens up possibilities that developers aren't quite realizing yet but more every day.

Quote Originally Posted by val02 View Post
    ... I still haven't figured out how to copy my imap( google map before ios6 ) bookmarks over to a Galaxy Note 2 ...... anyone ?
    to answer the Q myself, i found this in another site. Hope its useful for others with similar problems :--

'Jonathan Hamel, iOS developer

As far as I know, it's not possible to export raw data from Google Maps iOS app (from the App Core Data). Built-in apps (e.g.: Stocks, Weather, YouTube, etc.) are pretty much "waterproof".

The only way I see would be to access every points in your bookmarks (touching the little arrow on the right side of the contextual bubble) and to use the "Share Location" feature.

The location profile (Google Places URL) will be shared by email or MMS and a vCard file containing the details (address, phone numbers, etc.) will be attached to the message
    .'

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrisonedMuffin View Post
    I have a large library of music on my iTunes library, so not only do I not know how to transfer iTunes content to Android, I'm also not sure whether or not this would be a very good device for music (for running, working out, ect.). So how do I do this?
    There are two free apps, available on both Windows and Mac, that will let you copy your music, photos, etc. off the phone to your computer. Get iTools (from iTools.hk) and iFunbox. I found iTools to be the easiest for getting your music off.

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaymars View Post
    There are two free apps, available on both Windows and Mac, that will let you copy your music, photos, etc. off the phone to your computer. Get iTools (from iTools.hk) and iFunbox. I found iTools to be the easiest for getting your music off.
    I think these are unnecessary if you already have the music off the phone in iTunes. They are handy if all you have is the iPod or the phone for example.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I think these are unnecessary if you already have the music off the phone in iTunes. They are handy if all you have is the iPod or the phone for example.
    True. But they're indispensable if you wanna store songs on a new, different, or restored computer in the house.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I know this is an old thread, but I have a few more questions, so I'm bumping it.

I'm probably going to pre order this at Verizon very soon. I've tried it 4 times in the last 3 days on the last three times on three different carriers( T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular), and all I can say is that I loved it. The phone seemed huge but reasonable at the same time. It fit fine in my sweatpants pocket the first time I tried it at T-Mobile, which left me in disbelief. Then I tried it at Is Cellular a few days later so I could try it in a jeans pocket, but since they didn't have one that wasn't on display, I had to fit it halfway in my jeans pocket, but I definitely knew it would fit nicely (I tried testing a large calculator in my pocket the day before, so while it was bizarre, I didn't feel it much, so I knew this could fit). I was, however, disapointed by the fact that there was no Multi-Window feature on any of the phones I tested; I also was disappointed that there is no 32 or 64 gb versions th pre order. I know I can put music an photos on a 64 gb SD Card, but I'm concerned that certain apps I have on my Tab 10.1 will eat a large chunk of the 16 gb of internal storage. I know the carrier logo on the home button is something you guys really dislike, but it doesn't really bother me. I mean, it does make the phone look a LITTLE worse, but not much at all (I mean, on my OG Droid, there was a Verizon logo on the front and it didn't bother me. I do, however, find it a bit funny how the fact that Motorola's line of Droid RAZR phones, which also had a Verizon logo on the middle of the bottom front of the phone, which didn't, if any at all, meet nearly as much backlash; then again, I've observed that you guys aren't typically as loyal to Motorola phones as to Samsung or Google Nexus phones). A locked bootloader doesn't concern me; I don't know much about rooting, but it's something I could consider doing when the developer community finds a way around it (kinda like the Jailbreak community, BTW). The only thing that really irritates me is that I'll have to wait for more than a month to get this monster till well into next month, and now I'll have to get that Share Everything plan so I don't have to pay $700 for the phone up front in order to keep my data plan, which won't make my dad very happy (keep in mind that I'm 16 and a junior in high school, so obviously I live with my parents; I actually have a life, you know). Also Verizon has the best service and the fastest and most available 4G LTE coverage out there.

A Bluetooth headset is out of questions for 2 reasons: I personally think a headset makes you look dumb wearing it on your ear all the time (plus it's a hassle having to keep track with it all the time), while at the same time, as a high schooler, I don't want any headset touching my ears at all. Also my stepmom also believes that a Bluetooth headset could cause brain tumors and/or cancer (which is crazy, but whatever), so she said no to that. But holding it against my ear is something I'm not sure how I feel about. It didn't really feel that bad to hold it against my face, and my dad said, unlike any site that has reviewed the Note 2, that I don't look that bad with a phone that big on my face. Part of me doesn't give a damn if I look stupid holding up to my ear (which is why my friend, who is also an Android fan, thinks phablets are ed because of this reason, but I didn't take much offense to that), but another part of me feels a bit insecure about it. I guess I could use earbuds with a mic on them (which is how my stepmom makes calls when she's in the car), but that seems like a hassle as well. I also could, while it did feel a bit weird (especially after spending a year with a 4S, which, I don't hate, but have gotten bored with it). I dunno; maybe I've been brainwashed by all the reviews of the phone, except for TechnoBuffalo or PhoneDog, which didn't really touch on it. Maybe they're just really insecure? Also, while I did love Google Now when I tried it, I wish it could, instead of just pulling up a Google Search, it could pull up a card with sports stats (not scores) like Siri. For example, you can ask Siri "who leads the American League in batting average," and it will say "Miguel Cabrera" and will also list his average with other stats by pulling up a card from Yahoo Sports. Google Now, on the other hand, only pulls up a Google search. Also, does it pull up cards for movie times and restaurants by rating when you ask what is the best reastaurant in [insert town here]?, just like Siri? Google Now also doesn't have any personality like Siri, but then again, I only ask it dumb/funny stuff when I'm not with my friends and I'm really bored anyway. But I was impressed with its speed and it's ability to pull up a card for flight statuses, just like when you search manually. This will come in handy when I leave for my trip to Phoenix during winter break. Also, if the Note isn't good for exercise like that one guy said, then I'll buy an iPod touch 5 that I can also put music on because I don't want to carry something that resembles a fanny pack around my waist. No, I'm not an "iSheep" (just like not all iPhone owners; some buy iPhones because it fits their needs/preferences and could care less if it's an iPhone/Apple product), I love Android as well. Windows Phone is something I don't know about at all, and I couldn't get the Lumia 920 anyway since it's an AT&T exclusive.

I know this post is long as hell (y'all probably think "tl;dr" lol), but I just needed to get my thoughts out anyway. I just need a little insight by you guys. So can you at least attempt to read it? I'd really appriciate your opinion so I can officialy finalize my decision regarding this Goliath of a smartphone. All I can say is that, just like Tim Tebow joining the Jets, I'm really excited about this phablet.

i use icloud to sync all my devices but love the new galaxy notes 2. i found an app to sync callender and contacts with icloud but the galaxy forgets all these entries every time I power it down
    can anyone help me get my galaxy synched wwith my ipad and macbook pro

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike dent View Post
    i use icloud to sync all my devices but love the new galaxy notes 2. i found an app to sync callender and contacts with icloud but the galaxy forgets all these entries every time I power it down
    can anyone help me get my galaxy synched wwith my ipad and macbook pro
    If it is the caldav/cardav app you found readthe app description for the fsix. There is some other component that needs to be installed .

Cool Re: Transitioning from iPhone 4S to Galaxy Note 2?

I have just purchased the Galaxy note 2 and want to transfer my contacts and calendars from my old Apple 4s.... is there any way to get my Note 2 to sync with Icloud? If not can you sugget the easiest way to to transfer my contacts and calendars and tehn get them to sync with outlook on my main computers?...... also I use office 2010, what is teh best application to use office documents on the note 2?

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

These are what we talked about. ICloud uses these.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast