Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By planoman
  • 1 Post By ScandaLeX
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did I order too early?

Hi everyone,
    I live in the U.S. and I bought an international unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (e-bay) which should be arriving today or tomorrow because I did not want to wait for the U.S. release and I want to be able to use the phone from anywhere in the world. I was under the impression that the international version has 4G LTE capabilities, but now I hear that it doesn't. Also, I have read that some of the international phones are shipping without the multi-window feature; but that will be updated soon OTA. Which brings me to another concern... I have never owned an international unlocked phone so I do not know how the updates will work. Is it through Kies and will the updates for the international version be sooner or later than for carrier versions? Also, I have T-Mobile and I currently use a Galaxy S2. What will I need to do to put my sim card in the Note 2? I do not want to try to cut it myself or anything and if I take the Note 2 to T-Mobile, wouldn't they wonder how I got a phone that has not even been released yet? I do not want to get in trouble or anything. Finally, my current sim card has 4G on it right now so if I am able to get the sim card in the Note 2 and if I have to do it without T-Mobile's help, what will happen to my 4G? I REALLY want this phone, but I am just so confused right now. This is my first experience buying a phone that did not come directly from T-Mobile so I'm a bit nervous that maybe I ordered too early. Once I get the phone, I have 14 days to return it without opening the box to get a refund so I would just have to pay for shipping and whatever else. I really want to be able to keep this phone, but I want to make sure it is the version/model that I want and will work with my sim card/data. Answers to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Did I order too early?

First off the international note II WILL NOT have LTE. Also it WILL NOT work with T-mobiles HSPA+ network. So you will be stuck with very slow Edge speed data. Voice will work fine.

Try getting a micro sim card cutter on amazon. They work great and are very cheap like $5.

My opinion to you since you already have t-mobile is to wait for T-mobile to release their version. The t-mobile version will work on their HSPA+ network, is future proof with LTE on T-mobile and if you unlock it it will work anywhere in the world.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the information... So does the international version not have working 4G LTE for U.S. carriers or will I not get 4G LTE anywhere in the world with that version? The reason I ask is because currently, I mainly use wi-fi and I was given 4G on T-Mobile as some trial deal or something (my brother holds the T-Mobile account so I'm not exactly sure). However, I usually do not have a data plan on my phone so I would be happy with any data (just to check my mail/quick searches when I'm out and about); but that could change if I were to visit another country which I'm very likely to do next year and I may need 3G or 4G if wi-fi is not available. I may end up getting the T-Mobile version instead when it is available, but I just wanted to make sure. I guess I just need to know what the main differences between the international and the T-Mobile version will be. I'm not familiar with data plans, but is T-Mobile's Edge speed enough for me; a very light data user who just wants to check/send mail and maybe do a search or two throughout the day? And if I cut my sim card and put it in the Note 2, what happens to the 4G that I am currently on? Will it just slow down or not work at all? Thank you so much!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quick answers...

4G will work in certain countries, but not this one
    Cutting a sim, if done right, will not hurt you in the us, but since you do not have a phone that works on T-mo expect edge like speeds.

Personally i would have looked into it further but if I would have made the mistake you made, I would find a way to return it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Trust me, I looked into it quite well. Actually, the phone has not even shipped yet from what the seller told me so I still have time to cancel the order which is why I wanted to ask first. I have heard that for a lot of phones, the international version is better and they get updates much faster. Like I said, I would like to be able to use my phone in other countries and I only use data to check my email so although 4G LTE would be nice, it is not something I would really need. All I want to know is if the 4G LTE not working in the U.S. is usually the only difference between the international version of a phone and a U.S. carrier version and whether or not 3G/4G will work in other countries. Thanks!

Why not wait until you see what the US carriers come out with in November? I have owned the international galaxy note and it was updated faster because it came from Germany, which has fast updates. Not all international phones are updated at the same time. That said the US update cycle is getting faster. Also, I would want LTE on AT&T more than the update cycle from an international phone. Especially since they have announced the exynos quad core is coming to the US with LTE.
    hummingbirdhill likes this.

ROM
    CM7

1. N7100 version doesn't have LTE. N7105 will.
    2. Even if you bought N7105, European LTE won't work in US.
    3. I personally believe multi-view or multi-windows will eventually come. Why would they limit such awesome feature!?!?

What about someone like me that uses Straight Talk with an ATT sim? I have the International Note now and love the early updates and I won't be able to use LTE on ST anyways. Is it the same deal on the Note 2?

I think I can use ST with a locked Note 2 on ST and kinda like the idea of buying from ATT for warranty issues and such.

Should I wait or get an International unlocked version?

I was thinking of getting the International version but now I am not so sure. What I want to do is drop my Verizon plan in 2 months and then use the Note 2 off contract by using Google voice and the GroveIP app. I have WiFi at home and at work and for the times I am driving to and fro I have a 4 GB hot spot from ATT (4g/LTE). So I was going to get the International version but now I have second thoughts. What about updates? warranty?

Yes same deal with Note II

I am using the Note II on Straight Talk and I am getting about 4-5mbps download speeds.

I think the international Note 2 will work with AWS on TMo
    and give you 3G speeds. But I wouldn't want to bet 100s on it

The International Unlocked Note II WILL NOT work on T-mobile AWS.

It does not have the required ban to pick up. It will be stock on Edge speeds which are horrible.

Now T-mobile is in the process of putting their HSPA+ band on the 1900 frequency, if your lucky enough to live in one of those places right now you will get HSPA+ speeds wiht the international note II.

But according to this website so far not many places have it up and running

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I did not quite understand that map. I see a lot of those '3G' tags in my city, but in different areas. Do I have to be living in the exact specific area where the blue dot is in order to get the connection? Thanks! Also, do they put these on there by how many people are reporting getting the signals? I doubt anyone in the area I live in would know about that chart to report anything if that's how they do it.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by spridell View Post
    Yes same deal with Note II

I am using the Note II on Straight Talk and I am getting about 4-5mbps download speeds.
    N7100 or N7105.... which one are you using on Straight Talk?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Ed_W likes this.

ROM
    Bonsai4All V3.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
    N7100 or N7105.... which one are you using on Straight Talk?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    The N7105 isn't available yet.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mook1e View Post
    The N7105 isn't available yet.
    Thanks Moo. Thought it was based on post below.

Quote Originally Posted by davidk365 View Post
    1. N7100 version doesn't have LTE. N7105 will.
    2. Even if you bought N7105, European LTE won't work in US.
    3. I personally believe multi-view or multi-windows will eventually come. Why would they limit such awesome feature!?!?