Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Default Evernote vs. S-note

Planning to get Note 2 when it come out. S-note seems cool. Currently using Evernote and love it. Very slick plus the interface with tablet and PC to my phone is excellent. Any news or thoughts on using Evernote in place of S-note? Does S-note have a similar PC internet style sync?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    DAS

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

Default Re: Evernote vs. S-note

Quote Originally Posted by raffitou View Post
    Planning to get Note 2 when it come out. S-note seems cool. Currently using Evernote and love it. Very slick plus the interface with tablet and PC to my phone is excellent. Any news or thoughts on using Evernote in place of S-note? Does S-note have a similar PC internet style sync? Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    I have an Evernote account, but to be honest since I got the original Note 5.3 phone, and now the Note 10.1 tab, I do not use Evernote. I like the S-Note app, (it meets my specific needs), however, it does not have a similar PC internet style sync function. All notes are stored on the tablet, and will remain there unless you export the note in PDF to Evernote, Dropbox etc. for viewing. It my understanding that once you export the note to Evernote you cannot edit the document any further?

I may be incorrect, but this is my understanding.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    All notes are stored on the tablet, and will remain there unless you export the note in PDF to Evernote, Dropbox etc. for viewing.
    Yo, so S-notes can be exported via .pdf; that's great info. Can they be exported in .docx to Microsoft Word? (or to Excel, etc.?)
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2
    DAS

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdhill View Post
    Yo, so S-notes can be exported via .pdf; that's great info. Can they be exported in .docx to Microsoft Word? (or to Excel, etc.?)
    Unfortunately, it does not appear notes can be exported into word or any other MS suite of apps. I personally, to my delight, have rediscovered the art of writing letters instead of typing. When sending my handwritten letters to friends and family I send it as a .pdf so they can open it on their computer or smartphone.

However, the ability to export into Word or any other format, other than .pdf, does not appear to be an option. I wonder what would be the primary need to have such a feature other than expanded options? Because if you take hand written notes, memos or letters in S-Note and could actually export them to Word; what then? Other than the ability to view the notes, since they are handwritten, the Word program will not allow you to edit the content because it does not have the handwritten capabilities of S-Note?

It's probably why Samsung went with .pdf since once the handwritten note is saved the user would only need to store the file in a place like Dropbox or Evernote so as not to take up space on the tablet.
    Thanked by:

Thanks, DAS, and you are correct for the most part (at least for most of what I plan to use S-notes for). Somehow, I acquired the notion that handwritten S-notes can become typed text; is that true?

As for Evernote, etcetera, it's a great app but I prefer to retain my "stuff" on local clients.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2

I love evernote because of the cloud storage, it's nice to be able to have your notes available to you on the Web, tablet, and phone

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    DAS

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdhill View Post
    Thanks, DAS, and you are correct for the most part (at least for most of what I plan to use S-notes for). Somehow, I acquired the notion that handwritten S-notes can become typed text; is that true?

As for Evernote, etcetera, it's a great app but I prefer to retain my "stuff" on local clients.
    You're welcome Hummingbirdhill.

Actually, there is an option to convert your handwritten text to typed text within the S-Note app. I personally have not found this feature useful, but I suppose some people like it. I guess it's there for instances when you can't understand your own handwriting and need to convert it to text to make it easier to read? Other than a neat feature I'm not convinced how useful it is. Nonetheless, I like that Samsung adds features like these.

Please remember that S-Note is an app all of it's own. Therefore, all files are saved in what I suppose is a proprietary file extension titled .snb

Unless you have a program that can read a .snb file there is no opportunity read or edit the content outside of the S-Note app. To address this challenge Samsung gives the option to change the file extension to .pdf for exporting. Like another poster has mentioned, I prefer to upload all the notes I wish to save so I can have access to them no matter where I happen to be. I convert them from .snb to .pdf, and upload my notes to Dropbox.

I was curious about the same thing and was also looking at livescribe. Here are my findings. Basically evernote us the most flexible and yes you can use the handwriting to text option on the Samsung keyboard if u still want that natural feel. It also works inside evernote. Or you can use the snote template and if you did the convert to text, when you share you can just share text. I I'm just waiting for Penultimate to be on Android. :-)

Digital Note Taking Comparison - Evernote General Discussion - Evernote User Forum

Hi DAS
    You mentioned in your post "there is an option to convert your handwritten text to typed text within the S-Note app". Can you also post how ? The steps please ! Thanks

Its actually a function you can do on the keyboard. Instead of typing you write on a pad and your handwriting will be converted toe typed letters as you write.
    To enable this locate the micophone icon on the bottom left corner of the native keyboard. Press and hold it for a few seconds. It will bring up a few options. Select the icon that has a capital T and pencil.

Sent from my SG Note 2