And what about the 32GB and 64GB Note 2

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the actual memory on the Galaxy Note, or any Galaxy device for that matter, is hardwired on the board? Just curious if it uses another MicroSD card buried under the case somewhere? HTC did that with the Arrive phone and I know there's a few others that have done the same. If that's the case, would it be possible to just replace the card with a 32 or 64gb card? Would the Android OS prevent that from being done?

Just wondering

Cavcalade

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The 32GB and 64GB Note II are definitely coming. At least in Germany. So I'm pretty sure they'll also find their way to the U.S. In Germany you can buy the phones without any branding at Amazon or any other online store. You do not have to buy it from a provider. For the Galaxy SIII we already have the 32GB(?564 ~ $716) and the 64GB version (?654 ~ $830).

So I think it's just a matter of time until they'll release the 32 and 64GB model of the Note II in the U.S. and Germany.

ipaulr

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
in responce to you can not run apps from the external sd card slot
have you ever heard of an app called app2sd that lets you run apps from the sd card?
you can also partition your sd card and have your dalvik cashe setting in your kernel point to that ext-4 partition instead.
works on every single solitary android device i have ever worked with, including makes by samsung, htc, zte, hwaie or however you spell that.
just wate on a rom maker to include it in a rom or mod the kernel yourself to make the change. but dont say that it cant be done.

Yes. I have that app on my new 16gb Note 2. It cannot yet move apps to SD. No app can yet, until they are updated. There is no "move to sd" on the associated OS screen.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Idk lets check out a teardown, id rather do that then open my noteii for no reason. If its harware n not just another slot, I wonder if it would be possable to get say 128gb of ultra highspeed transflash n solder it in. Bigger than the rest boosh.

Another note, for the note lol, the port space on the micro sd card is long, long enuff for two cards, a converter that has one sit on top and onother behind it with rails to hold it there making a 128 card out of two 64 would be so freaki. Awsome. I looked, theyre not out there.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Use desigas toolkit and mod the kernel to support app2sd and partition sdcard? I guess this should be included in a rom then

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Shane Mc Grath

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not everyone, Same issue here in Australia. All we have so far is the 16gb version in either the 3G or LTE. 32gb and 64gb does exist as you can order them online from Korea unlocked but they will most likely use a different network band compared to your countries carriers.
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Samsung Galaxy Note II

A phone of this calibre should of had 32gb as minimum, Personally I want this phone as an all in one device,Music for car/work,GPS for car,Games/Vids for lunch breaks etc etc so i need as much storage as I can get, 64gb internal and 64gb on Sd card I am sure I am not alone on this, Hurry up Samsung ship the big guns!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was going to get a 32GB SIII, but Radio Shack is still not offering yet (I wanted to save $50.00 on the price). So now that Note 2 is coming I want that in the 32GB, but no one really saying when it will arrive.

Maybe Sprint will offer it online, like they did with the S3.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't seen any tear apart shots so the question still remains for me.

Is the internal memory hard wired into the board or is it by way of an internally installed microSD type card? If it is via the card, I see no reason why we couldn't open it p and install a new 32gb microSD card ourselves. That's what I did with my Arrive to move it from 16-32gb. I installed a new card and hard reset, the card was recognized and I then had a 32gb Arrive.

Cavcalade

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I talked to the German Samsung support a few days ago. They told me that the 32gb version probably won't come out this year. But they are not sure... .

So maybe for you guys in the US.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You could also download the user manual and give yourself a head start. I've learned a lot from it. This is the first phone I've had in years in which the user manual was actually useful.
I have it in my phone for quick reference.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

+1. Did the same thing, and I also find it very useful.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Is the internal memory hard wired into the board or is it by way of an internally installed microSD type card? If it is via the card, I see no reason why we couldn't open it p and install a new 32gb microSD card ourselves. That's what I did with my Arrive to move it from 16-32gb. I installed a new card and hard reset, the card was recognized and I then had a 32gb Arrive.

Why don't you look for a Galaxy S3 teardown, they should be somewhat identical in construction internally. I would venture a guess that it is trans flash memory as Samsung is pretty much the world leader in memory chip manufacturing.

As a side note, I have 101 apps installed and only use 1.5gb of storage on my 16gb note 2. All of my music or pictures go directly to my 32gb sd card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you look for a Galaxy S3 teardown, they should be somewhat identical in construction internally. I would venture a guess that it is trans flash memory as Samsung is pretty much the world leader in memory chip manufacturing.

As a side note, I have 101 apps installed and only use 1.5gb of storage on my 16gb note 2. All of my music or pictures go directly to my 32gb sd card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

THe problem comes into play when you are using something other than music and pictures. As it's been discovered in the other thread about movies, all the DRM stuff goes internally. I like to listen to podcasts and video casts so my biggest concern is that I would be forced to use up my internal storage for these. I honestly have not played enough with Android to see what and how it all works with this so my concerns could be unfounded.

Jeff Smith2

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Way to go. I plan to root my the minute I get it. Still waiting for T-Mo to FedX, Back order, but happy to paid $199 (dam good price). Now only if they have 128GB SD class10 that will fix. And I'm all good to go.

Jeff Smith2

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
New guy here, still learning about all this. I'll probably be moving into a Note 2 soon, coming from a Windows Phone. How exactly is the memory installed on the Galaxy and Note devices? Do they also use embedded chips in the hardware? I was able to upgrade my Arrive from 16-32gb by tearing into it and installing a 32gb SD Card. Is the memory hardwired into the circuitry? Is there some reason why only the 16gb version is being sent to the States, yet everyone else gets the options for the 32 and 64gb versions?
The reason we got the 16GB, because it was a left over from Korea.

Jeff Smith2

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

When i get my. i will open it up and find out for you... let you know soon. Wait.. No need. check this site out. he already dnoe it. How to take apart Samsung Galaxy Note by DurapowerGlobal.com - YouTube

Last edited:

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I heard the 64gb gs3 was cancelled. But I would have gotten get the 32gb if it was available. But the 16 is satisfactory enough. If anything my 16gb micro sd can compensate. I just think internal memory is more secure if you lose your phone.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
in responce to you can not run apps from the external sd card slot
have you ever heard of an app called app2sd that lets you run apps from the sd card?
you can also partition your sd card and have your dalvik cashe setting in your kernel point to that ext-4 partition instead.
works on every single solitary android device i have ever worked with, including makes by samsung, htc, zte, hwaie or however you spell that.
just wate on a rom maker to include it in a rom or mod the kernel yourself to make the change. but dont say that it cant be done.

App2sd doesn't function with non-rooted S3 nor with Note 2.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz