No multitasking or multi windows why and when???

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Nobody seems sure...we are hoping that Verizon's model will have it since we are getting it so late or maybe Samsung will push the update thru soon! If they already updated the overseas phones why would we have to wait?

landy07007

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah why we have to wait I call Samsung and they told me that they don't know anything about it

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

landy07007

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
But why they have it in the trailer and then the phone doesn't have it we should all sue the Samsung company lol

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Must be only for the US version... I got the international note 2 and it has that feature....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought I saw a couple weeks back that they had to patch in the multitasking for whatever reason for the International version. So I'm sure it just needs to get patched in but will probably take a while because the carriers need to approve it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

zuko33

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Must be only for the US version... I got the international note 2 and it has that feature....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

When the international version was released it had 2 different firmware versions. If you got one with the newer firmware multi window worked out of the box. If you got one with the older firmware multi window did not work. They updated all the note 2 firmware on the international version shortly after release so that multi window works on all the international versions. It's probably going to be the same thing with the US version except it might take a little longer to get the update since US carriers are more of a pain about putting out updates.
I have no doubt we will get multi window. it's just a matter of how long it will take to get it.

WHaydock

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It works through the side bar, I have it on my UK Three phone, although the sidebar just disappears on occasion then suddenly reappears the next day. There are no shortcuts to the sidebar so I've no idea how to initiate it.
WarrenH

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
This thread is in the ATT subforum (T-Mobile and Sprint, as well), where a few of us were discussing investigating the lack of this feature on US models -thus far. It mostly has to do with the delay of the feature overall...and therefore, the delay our US carriers are taking to implement/test it with their 'stuff' and overlay...I assume, at least.

I wrote about how the carriers were not touting this (or the screen recorder feature, for that matter) Multitask/MultiWindow feature set...well, that may be changing, at least for one carrier.

MultiWindows IS being advertised on the Verizon SNote2 info page. Someone mentioned it in the xda developers forum, I think it was.

So?then the question is for the rest of the carriers, AT&T, Sprint, etc?does this mean it comes out around that time? Verizon's version of the Note2 is supposedly set for release on Nov 27th/29th? Or do we ALL wait until Dec, when the supposed 4.1.2 update for JB is coming for the S3 (and probably the Note2?or probably not?...seems like it?s not a guarantee in the Android world, even if it?s such a similar device).

Anyway, here is the only link for this source of info that alludes to the update coming to the S3?not sure where the SamMobile person got it from?the xda developer forum folks mentioned it too, based on a tweet from the same guy touting I9300XXD = 4.1.1 and I9300XXE= 4.1.2 ...the rumor has been spread around a bit and not debunked yet, who knows.

Multi-view for the Galaxy S3 is coming up | SamMobile

-------------------

Samsung Galaxy Note 2: Android 4.1, S Pen | Verizon Wireless
Multi-task More Than Ever Before
Take multi-tasking to a whole other level with a brilliant 5.5" screen and amazingly innovative capabilities.

Multi Window. Divide the screen into two active "windows" creating a split screen that enables fluid multitasking between applications.
Popup Video. Watch your favorite video and run other applications at the same time, in the same view
Popup Browser. Open a web link without leaving what you?re doing. View a webpage and what is displayed conveniently underneath.
Popup Notes. Open a convenient pop-up window to jot down a quick note or idea.
multiwindowpic_VZW.JPG

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Rumor update:

Verizon's community forum has a 'tester' talking about a test VZW model (which he has to give back within 3 days) and that it he has CONFIRMED the Samsung mutli-window/task feature is on the VZW model.

https://community.verizonwireless.co.../895179#895179

See comment about the Samsung TouchWiz multi-window/tasking feature (#542).

This bodes well for an update to come soon for other carriers...or perhaps by the end of Nov when VZW model is released.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought I saw a couple weeks back that they had to patch in the multitasking for whatever reason for the International version. So I'm sure it just needs to get patched in but will probably take a while because the carriers need to approve it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

If it isn't there when you buy the phone don't expect it to come. If it does come great, but let's face it VZW at least in my opinion has a horrible turn around time for approving updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
If it isn't there when you buy the phone don't expect it to come. If it does come great, but let's face it VZW at least in my opinion has a horrible turn around time for approving updates.

You may have missed the latest posts. Also, all US carriers fall in the same boat here, not just VZW. I am with AT&T and they don't even mention it, marketing-wise.

At least VZW mentions it on their preorder/marketing page for the Note2, and there is some recent confirmation of it actually being on the phone (test versions) model for VZW.

Being new to Android, it's been very clear from the start that devices, carriers and updates do not flow together well. Firmware and OS updates must be tested with TouchWiz (Samsung's UI) and Sense (HTC's UI) and then AT&T has overlays and apps...Sprint...VZW...etc. They all are on different schedules and apparently care about these features in different ways...annoying as it can be for the customer. There is no accountability or consistency, unfortunately in the open-source/Android world due to this fact-of-life.

The hidden good part, is competition and innovation...the bad part is obviously the device makers and carriers (IF you use them for cell data, as some tablets can and all phones will). This is due to having to test/approve updates when they have no incentive to really do so...unless they market it as a feature like VZW has done. Then, I guess, they are under the gun for bringing that feature to their customers...whereas AT&T is not, at the moment (aside from all the techies who care because they have been following the development of the Note 2 in detail for months).

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You may have missed the latest posts. Also, all US carriers fall in the same boat here, not just VZW. I am with AT&T and they don't even mention it, marketing-wise.

At least VZW mentions it on their preorder/marketing page for the Note2, and there is some recent confirmation of it actually being on the phone (test versions) model for VZW.

Being new to Android, it's been very clear from the start that devices, carriers and updates do not flow together well. Firmware and OS updates must be tested with TouchWiz (Samsung's UI) and Sense (HTC's UI) and then AT&T has overlays and apps...Sprint...VZW...etc. They all are on different schedules and apparently care about these features in different ways...annoying as it can be for the customer. There is no accountability or consistency, unfortunately in the open-source/Android world due to this fact-of-life.

The hidden good part, is competition and innovation...the bad part is obviously the device makers and carriers (IF you use them for cell data, as some tablets can and all phones will). This is due to having to test/approve updates when they have no incentive to really do so...unless they market it as a feature like VZW has done. Then, I guess, they are under the gun for bringing that feature to their customers...whereas AT&T is not, at the moment (aside from all the techies who care because they have been following the development of the Note 2 in detail for months).

Nothing but excuses. What's really funny is how quickly Apple is able to get updates out to their iPhones. I can't help but wonder how anyone can justify the ridiculous amount of time the carriers in approving updates.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I think we'll have multi view provided by developers long before the carriers get off their collective behinds. I'm sick of seeing phones advertised with features that somehow don't make it into your phone at launch.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
This thread right here is why I went with the international version. Just sick with the US carrier Android update situation.

landy07007

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but is sick to be trying to download a file somewhere with no wifi and in the fricking 3g oh I have a nice 4g lte on Houston with sprint is faster than the wifi on Starbuck just get the point

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1