Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Re: How is it getting used to the size from a GS3

Quote Originally Posted by C.M.Sevilla View Post
    The only thing that I did not like about it was the fact that text messages and email text size was too big. I tried everything short of rooting the damn thing to get smaller text, but it was impossible.

I'd buy it right now again (returned it) if someone could tell me how to shrink the text--already tried all the apps int he GooglePlay store that claim to do this. I don't want/care that my menu text is small, I want my text messages and emails be small too!
    The original Galaxy Note didn't have the option to change text size universally for all apps, but the GS3 does. I'm guessing that the Note II would as well.
    I can't remember exactly where it was in the settings, but it should be noticeable from the main view of settings (not buried deep in the settings). If I remember right it was under <Fonts>

Correction: It is under <System Settings> <Display> <Font Style>
    alikoyyy likes this.

At first it's going to feel really huge. And the fonts look clownishly big. But I set my font to small, turned on one handed typing and gesture typing and it became usable, and after a day or two using it wasnt weird at all. My Xperia P felt miniscule though.

One handed use is still challenging at times but mostly it's okay. And the screen is a dream. Go get one.
    hossman12 likes this.

Yep. Small is just about right

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by that_maynard View Post
    I actually have been debating returning mine for the S3 but I do love the size. It is huge. But will I love the huge in 2 to 3 months?
    YES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marisdaman View Post
    Doesn't it have the smart answer/decline feature to help out with that?
    I don't know

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I went from sn iPhone 4 to a Note 2 and now I will never be able to go back. I'm an assembler with a rather physical job but I never notice the size of the Note 2 when I work. Also, it's great for watching youtube in bed

- - - Updated - - -

I went from sn iPhone 4 to a Note 2 and now I will never be able to go back. I'm an assembler with a rather physical job but I never notice the size of the Note 2 when I work. Also, it's great for watching youtube in bed

I picked mine up at closing time on Thursday. I'm already spoiled by the screen real estate. The phone is the first phone that is truly ergonomic for me, even with the samsung flip cover. And I love that I finally have screen buttons that I can see around my fingers.

It's a bit large in some of my pockets (and will only get worse with an otterbox) but otherwise, this is the device I've been hoping for. For pocket compatibility, the Note3 should be just 6 to 6.5 mm shorter. That will fit in a standard men's shirt pocket and still allow the pocket flap to fold down. (I even took the shirt to the store to test it and bought the phone knowing that the pocket-fit would be weird.

A couple of non-size quibbles:
    • since you can do almost anything with the S-Pen, it strange to have to tap the menu, home, and back buttons with your finger. These should have been on-screen like on the Nexus devices which would have allowed S-Pen interaction.
    • The S-Pen doesn't quite feel natural on the bottom of the phone. My muscle memory from my Treo days has kicked in a couple of times and I've found myself feeling for the pen on the top corner instead of the bottom corner.
    Last edited by dygituljunky; 11-03-2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: additional info on pockets

Just reset the default font size smaller, under settings.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjames1978 View Post
    Wow.. Very surprised to hear such positive reviews so far. I guess they really did get into ergonomics when releasing the 2. Man, I'm interested now. Wonder what AT&T will charge for it off contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow.. Very surprised to hear such positive reviews so far. I guess they really did get into ergonomics when releasing the 2. Man, I'm interested now. Wonder what AT&T will charge for it off contract.

- - - Updated - - -

It is $650.00 off contract at AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by dygituljunky View Post
    I picked mine up at closing time on Thursday. I'm already spoiled by the screen real estate. The phone is the first phone that is truly ergonomic for me, even with the samsung flip cover. And I love that I finally have screen buttons that I can see around my fingers.

It's a bit large in some of my pockets (and will only get worse with an otterbox) but otherwise, this is the device I've been hoping for. For pocket compatibility, the Note3 should be just 6 to 6.5 mm shorter. That will fit in a standard men's shirt pocket and still allow the pocket flap to fold down. (I even took the shirt to the store to test it and bought the phone knowing that the pocket-fit would be weird.

A couple of non-size quibbles:
    • since you can do almost anything with the S-Pen, it strange to have to tap the menu, home, and back buttons with your finger. These should have been on-screen like on the Nexus devices which would have allowed S-Pen interaction.
    • The S-Pen doesn't quite feel natural on the bottom of the phone. My muscle memory from my Treo days has kicked in a couple of times and I've found myself feeling for the pen on the top corner instead of the bottom corner.
    You do not have to tap the buttons when you have the S Pen out, just use the gestures.
    The default for back is to hold the S-Pen button and draw a backwards arrow.
    You can change the gestures to be any sort of gesture you like (example I draw a G to open Gmail).
    Settings > S Pen > Quick Command Settings.

To the original poster, I went from the S3 to the Note 2, and I too was worried about the size.
    After a few days of use you no longer notice it, and it just feels normal.
    Thanked by:
    Astom22 likes this.

When you first see this phone next to whatever you're using (for me it was the tmobile gs2) the note 2 is HUGE! Almost overwhelming. But, going from G2 (3.7" screen) to gs2 (4.5" screen) I knew I wanted bigger. After a couple days the phone was comfortable and completely usable. It is hard to reach some far parts with my thumb, but I can. It's amazing!

I came from a NS4G and haven't really had any issues getting used to the size. There are one handed settings for the keyboard that makes it even easier to operate the device with one hand. I have a body glove case on it and it still fits in my pockets pretty easily. Although the screen is gigantic, the thinness of it really helps with everyday use!

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

my last phone before my Note 2 was a BlackBerry 9850, the Torch. Wow heck of a difference.I had a hard time typing before but now I have no problems at all finding the right keys

I don't have one, but my main concern with this phone was the size, and specifically one handed use, until I saw the ThingSling/FlyGrip/etc. These look like they would make it much more manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nchaka View Post
    It is $650.00 off contract at AT&T
    I just bought the International version - SIM free, factory unlocked, without branding - for $590 from newegg.com. It lists for $680 but if you buy it by 11/5/12 using code BLKNVMW57 it drops the price to $590, 2 day shipping included - no tax in most states.
    Android user since the very first T-Mobile G1...

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The only thing that I did not like about it was the fact that text messages and email text size was too big. I tried everything short of rooting the damn thing to get smaller text, but it was impossible.

I'd buy it right now again (returned it) if someone could tell me how to shrink the text--already tried all the apps int he GooglePlay store that claim to do this. I don't want/care that my menu text is small, I want my text messages and emails be small too!
    At least on the gs3 there is a setting within the messaging app that you need to enable to use the volume keys to increase and decrease the font size. I don't have my note 2 yet so if someone could confirm? Just open the messaging app, hit menu, settings, and towards the top should be the option to use the volume keys to change font size.

Can't wait to get mine, hope best buy really will get it on November 11th!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    At least on the gs3 there is a setting within the messaging app that you need to enable to use the volume keys to increase and decrease the font size. I don't have my note 2 yet so if someone could confirm? Just open the messaging app, hit menu, settings, and towards the top should be the option to use the volume keys to change font size.

Can't wait to get mine, hope best buy really will get it on November 11th!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    It does have that.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2. Baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
    I just bought the International version - SIM free, factory unlocked, without branding - for $590 from newegg.com. It lists for $680 but if you buy it by 11/5/12 using code BLKNVMW57 it drops the price to $590, 2 day shipping included - no tax in most states.
    Wow thanks!! Can I use this on AT&T, and are there any benefits or negatives to this model compared to the upcoming att release?

Also can anyone confirm if u can just swap my sim back and forth between this and my S3?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
    Oh wow. This doesn't have LTE does it?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjames1978 View Post
    Wow thanks!! Can I use this on AT&T, and are there any benefits or negatives to this model compared to the upcoming att release?

Also can anyone confirm if u can just swap my sim back and forth between this and my S3?

No LTE (which in my view is overrated) and it uses micro SIM. If your S3 uses same size SIM you can swap it.
    Android user since the very first T-Mobile G1...

Quote Originally Posted by dygituljunky View Post
    [*]The S-Pen doesn't quite feel natural on the bottom of the phone. My muscle memory from my Treo days has kicked in a couple of times and I've found myself feeling for the pen on the top corner instead of the bottom corner.[/LIST]
    I am moving from an iPhone 4s to a Note 2 (when Verizon finally ships them) and this is one of the things I expect to bite me once in a while. I'll get used to it. Nice to know I'm not the only refugee from Palm-land.

123 - let me delete this message!!!
    Last edited by Nacos; 11-03-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Cannot delete a posted message.

If the Note 2 has the same text engine as the SG3, then the answer is simple: enable text resizing by volume keys in settings. Also, you can always use 3rd party text apps - I would highly recommend Go SMS - where customization is taken to a completely different level. AS far as the E-mail goes, if you're using the Samsung's email app - which I highly recommend - then there is not much you can do about the text size - although I didn't seem to see the objections there justified.

On the other hand (as many here have already suggested) you can also change the font size in settings - but that will affect the appearance of all native application.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacos View Post
    ...enable text resizing by volume keys in settings.
    How does this work? How does the system know if you are changing volume or text size? Or is it one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    How does this work? How does the system know if you are changing volume or text size? Or is it one or the other?
    When you are in text message app, the volume keys only work to adjust the font size. Since you're not going to change that every time you use the app, once adjusted to your preference you can disable it and the volume keys will be reassigned as...volume keys, but since the volume wouldn't normally be used while in text message, you may very well live this setting permanently.
    Thanked by:
    MrMLK 

Go to Settings on the Messaging app and there's a check box labeled "Use the volume key" You can then adjust the text size of your messages using the volume rocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast