How is it getting used to the size from a GS3

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Note2 a few days ago, though it may be big.. the one-handed operation setting is helpful for drivers. Just remember to set it before you go out driving.

Then I must have forgotten all about this feature cause tonight I was NOT feeling my phone while driving.....this thing seriously needs a dock.....I can't say it enough.

For some reason, everybody wanted to call me tonight. I'm trying to get to a restaurant and you'd think one person could pass the message I was on my way. Answering with one hand while keeping the other on the steering wheel took some acrobatic maneuvers to accomplish.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

robertjsisson

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I moved from the sprint htc evo 4g lte (less than. Mo after getting the new evo). I use it for business and pleasure and I dont see any problem with the larger size. I absolutely love the note 2. It is bigger but certainly manageable. The extra size is well worth its added functionality. It also is blazing fast. Much faster than I ever imagined. Get it, you'll love it.

lespaul

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow.. Very surprised to hear such positive reviews so far. I guess they really did get into ergonomics when releasing the 2. Man, I'm interested now. Wonder what AT&T will charge for it off contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow.. Very surprised to hear such positive reviews so far. I guess they really did get into ergonomics when releasing the 2. Man, I'm interested now. Wonder what AT&T will charge for it off contract.

- - - Updated - - -

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Then I must have forgotten all about this feature cause tonight I was NOT feeling my phone while driving.....this thing seriously needs a dock.....I can't say it enough
For some reason, everybody wanted to call me tonight. I'm trying to get to a restaurant and you'd think one person could pass the message I was on my way. Answering with one hand while keeping the other on the steering wheel took some acrobatic maneuvers to accomplish.

Doesn't it have the smart answer/decline feature to help out with that?

nosmohtac

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that I did not like about it was the fact that text messages and email text size was too big. I tried everything short of rooting the damn thing to get smaller text, but it was impossible.

I'd buy it right now again (returned it) if someone could tell me how to shrink the text--already tried all the apps int he GooglePlay store that claim to do this. I don't want/care that my menu text is small, I want my text messages and emails be small too!

The original Galaxy Note didn't have the option to change text size universally for all apps, but the GS3 does. I'm guessing that the Note II would as well.
I can't remember exactly where it was in the settings, but it should be noticeable from the main view of settings (not buried deep in the settings). If I remember right it was under <Fonts>

Correction: It is under <System Settings> <Display> <Font Style>

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
At first it's going to feel really huge. And the fonts look clownishly big. But I set my font to small, turned on one handed typing and gesture typing and it became usable, and after a day or two using it wasnt weird at all. My Xperia P felt miniscule though. :p

One handed use is still challenging at times but mostly it's okay. And the screen is a dream. Go get one. :)

creiij

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I went from sn iPhone 4 to a Note 2 and now I will never be able to go back. I'm an assembler with a rather physical job but I never notice the size of the Note 2 when I work. Also, it's great for watching youtube in bed :)

- - - Updated - - -

I went from sn iPhone 4 to a Note 2 and now I will never be able to go back. I'm an assembler with a rather physical job but I never notice the size of the Note 2 when I work. Also, it's great for watching youtube in bed :)

dygituljunky

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I picked mine up at closing time on Thursday. I'm already spoiled by the screen real estate. The phone is the first phone that is truly ergonomic for me, even with the samsung flip cover. And I love that I finally have screen buttons that I can see around my fingers.

It's a bit large in some of my pockets (and will only get worse with an otterbox) but otherwise, this is the device I've been hoping for. For pocket compatibility, the Note3 should be just 6 to 6.5 mm shorter. That will fit in a standard men's shirt pocket and still allow the pocket flap to fold down. (I even took the shirt to the store to test it and bought the phone knowing that the pocket-fit would be weird.

A couple of non-size quibbles:
  • since you can do almost anything with the S-Pen, it strange to have to tap the menu, home, and back buttons with your finger. These should have been on-screen like on the Nexus devices which would have allowed S-Pen interaction.
  • The S-Pen doesn't quite feel natural on the bottom of the phone. My muscle memory from my Treo days has kicked in a couple of times and I've found myself feeling for the pen on the top corner instead of the bottom corner.

Last edited:

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It is $650.00 off contract at AT&T

r0gue

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up at closing time on Thursday. I'm already spoiled by the screen real estate. The phone is the first phone that is truly ergonomic for me, even with the samsung flip cover. And I love that I finally have screen buttons that I can see around my fingers.

It's a bit large in some of my pockets (and will only get worse with an otterbox) but otherwise, this is the device I've been hoping for. For pocket compatibility, the Note3 should be just 6 to 6.5 mm shorter. That will fit in a standard men's shirt pocket and still allow the pocket flap to fold down. (I even took the shirt to the store to test it and bought the phone knowing that the pocket-fit would be weird.

A couple of non-size quibbles:
  • since you can do almost anything with the S-Pen, it strange to have to tap the menu, home, and back buttons with your finger. These should have been on-screen like on the Nexus devices which would have allowed S-Pen interaction.
  • The S-Pen doesn't quite feel natural on the bottom of the phone. My muscle memory from my Treo days has kicked in a couple of times and I've found myself feeling for the pen on the top corner instead of the bottom corner.

You do not have to tap the buttons when you have the S Pen out, just use the gestures.
The default for back is to hold the S-Pen button and draw a backwards arrow.
You can change the gestures to be any sort of gesture you like (example I draw a G to open Gmail).
Settings > S Pen > Quick Command Settings.

To the original poster, I went from the S3 to the Note 2, and I too was worried about the size.
After a few days of use you no longer notice it, and it just feels normal.

cjbrigol

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
When you first see this phone next to whatever you're using (for me it was the tmobile gs2) the note 2 is HUGE! Almost overwhelming. But, going from G2 (3.7" screen) to gs2 (4.5" screen) I knew I wanted bigger. After a couple days the phone was comfortable and completely usable. It is hard to reach some far parts with my thumb, but I can. It's amazing!

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I came from a NS4G and haven't really had any issues getting used to the size. There are one handed settings for the keyboard that makes it even easier to operate the device with one hand. I have a body glove case on it and it still fits in my pockets pretty easily. Although the screen is gigantic, the thinness of it really helps with everyday use!

Hope this helps!

that_maynard

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
my last phone before my Note 2 was a BlackBerry 9850, the Torch. Wow heck of a difference.I had a hard time typing before but now I have no problems at all finding the right keys

acey_zero

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one, but my main concern with this phone was the size, and specifically one handed use, until I saw the ThingSling/FlyGrip/etc. These look like they would make it much more manageable.

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
It is $650.00 off contract at AT&T
I just bought the International version - SIM free, factory unlocked, without branding - for $590 from newegg.com. It lists for $680 but if you buy it by 11/5/12 using code BLKNVMW57 it drops the price to $590, 2 day shipping included - no tax in most states.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that I did not like about it was the fact that text messages and email text size was too big. I tried everything short of rooting the damn thing to get smaller text, but it was impossible.

I'd buy it right now again (returned it) if someone could tell me how to shrink the text--already tried all the apps int he GooglePlay store that claim to do this. I don't want/care that my menu text is small, I want my text messages and emails be small too!

At least on the gs3 there is a setting within the messaging app that you need to enable to use the volume keys to increase and decrease the font size. I don't have my note 2 yet so if someone could confirm? Just open the messaging app, hit menu, settings, and towards the top should be the option to use the volume keys to change font size.

Can't wait to get mine, hope best buy really will get it on November 11th!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae