How is it getting used to the size from a GS3

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
Just got my Note II and surprisingly it actually feels smaller than expected... I looked some time ago at the Note I and this new phone feels smaller. My previous phone was HTC Inspire 4G (4.3 inch).

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I see alot of you have gotten use to size, but how was it getting use to the weight coming from a phone like the SG3? I don't like heavy phones.

Also will the international unlocked version pick up t-mobile's HSPA+42 network?

I actually like the weight better. It feels more solid to me. :cool:

that_maynard

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I did end up returning my N2 for the SG3 and I miss the size, but I'm not sure if I can return back to the N2. Man I feel silly, but do you think that US Cellular will accept me returning back to the N2?

I'm still within my 14 day trial period. I want to have my beast back. It was larger, but I like larger.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up my Note 2 and will be interested to see how I adjust from the size of my GS3,,, I had just got thru adjusting to my GS3 from my iPhone 5,,,,,, going from all the iPhones to the GS3 to the Note 2,,,,, what a fun little journey.

Cheers
Davyo

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I did end up returning my N2 for the SG3 and I miss the size, but I'm not sure if I can return back to the N2. Man I feel silly, but do you think that US Cellular will accept me returning back to the N2?

I'm still within my 14 day trial period. I want to have my beast back. It was larger, but I like larger.

They may allow it because you are exchanging for a more expensive device. I would definitely try because the Note 2 is a superior device.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It was between this and the Lumia 920. I need a change from iphone. The horsepower of this thing and the crap windows app store made it easy. But the nokia is a beautiful device.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

brujo66

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I migrated from an Iphone 5 to a GS3 and then to a note 2 all I can say is wow!! The note 2 is a serious device, by far is the best of all 3 and the size is not a problem at all.....on the contrary is a benefit

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The hardest pill to swallow for me is buying this phone off contract. I've never purchased an off contract phone before so the $649 price tag has me thinking twice. Decisions, decisions...

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
The hardest pill to swallow for me is buying this phone off contract. I've never purchased an off contract phone before so the $649 price tag has me thinking twice. Decisions, decisions...
Well, I have been a cell user for almost 23 years now. The very first phone I had was a Panasonic car phone which had to be installed in my car and cost me $1,200.
Ever since I was on a contract with either Verizon, AT&T (was Cellular One at the time) or T-Mobile - never Sprint.

This is the first time I took the plunge. I found a deal for $590 (shipping and tax included). That one was on newegg.com but those deals pop up from time to time on eBay and elsewhere.

Why did I do it? On a 2 year contract it would cost me $300 + tax. Then my monthly cost would be well over $80 a month. With this SIM free phone I can get prepaid service with one of many companies for under $50 a month, everything unlimited. So in one year I'll break even. And if I don't like the first vendor, I have a huge selection of others.

Added bonus - I travel internationally a lot. My old AT&T unlocked phone always worked for voice calls, but not always for data. It's a pain in the neck. This SIM free GT-N7100 works everywhere!

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have been a cell user for almost 23 years now. The very first phone I had was a Panasonic car phone which had to be installed in my car and cost me $1,200.
Ever since I was on a contract with either Verizon, AT&T (was Cellular One at the time) or T-Mobile - never Sprint.

This is the first time I took the plunge. I found a deal for $590 (shipping and tax included). That one was on newegg.com but those deals pop up from time to time on eBay and elsewhere.

Why did I do it? On a 2 year contract it would cost me $300 + tax. Then my monthly cost would be well over $80 a month. With this SIM free phone I can get prepaid service with one of many companies for under $50 a month, everything unlimited. So in one year I'll break even. And if I don't like the first vendor, I have a huge selection of others.

Added bonus - I travel internationally a lot. My old AT&T unlocked phone always worked for voice calls, but not always for data. It's a pain in the neck. This SIM free GT-N7100 works everywhere!

I have 2 phone lines with AT&T, and pay the same amount per month whether or now I use an off contract device, or buy a subsidized one. I'll probably end up buying this phone anyway, it's too tempting to pass up.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The largest smartphone I have has has been my HTC One X. Because of how thin and lightweight it was relative to its overall size I was often worried about breaking it. Have any Note 2 owners experienced similar feelings?

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
The largest smartphone I have has has been my HTC One X. Because of how thin and lightweight it was relative to its overall size I was often worried about breaking it. Have any Note 2 owners experienced similar feelings?
That's not a concern, but because of it's size it almost fell out of my hand twice. I ordered a Flip Cover to reduce that danger.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Currently I have an iPhone 5 on order that will be here today but I'm seriously thinking of going for the Note 2. The battery life on the Note 2 is something I would definitely fall in love with. Also the iPhone hasn't really advanced and I am bored with it so I am seriously thinking of going with the Note 2. There are, however, 3 things that concern me about the note 2.

1.) The size of this thing. I have played with them at stores and even made sure it will fit in my pocket, but I'm not sure this will be practical carrying around all day. Most things I use 2 hands for anyways (Texting, Web Browsing, etc.) even on the tiny 3.5" iPhone 4S screen, which is why I think a bigger screen will be nice.

2.) Samsung is known for having really bad reception on their phones when it comes to CDMA. Their AT&T and T-mobile versions seem to be ok but not their Sprint or Verizon versions. I need a phone i can rely on which is why I really liked the iPhone, it had great reception. This is the biggest concern of mine as of right now because if I return the iPhone 5 and get the Note 2 I will be stuck with the Note 2 and I don't want to be stuck with a phone that gets crappy reception.

3.) Having to deal with insurance if something goes wrong with the phone. With Apple I could purchase Apple Care+ and if anything goes wrong with my phone I take it in to my apple store 30 miles away and it will be fixed or the phone will be replaced with a brand new phone (not refurb). If I go with the Note 2 will I have to pay deductibles on the Asurion insurance for Manufacturer defects and things wrong with the phone or only on accidental damage like dropping it? I used to know all about the insurance thing but I've been out of the loop for a while now.

Ultimately I am just bored with the iPhone and would love to come back to Android but I refuse to get something running ICS so it comes down to keeping the iPhone 5, going for the Note 2 or looking into the Droid DNA which looks to be a better size for my liking but without all the things I like about the Note 2 like battery life and some of the Touch Wiz and S Pen features.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I migrated from an Iphone 5 to a GS3 and then to a note 2 all I can say is wow!! The note 2 is a serious device, by far is the best of all 3 and the size is not a problem at all.....on the contrary is a benefit

I came from the HTC evo and the Samsung Galaxy S3 and now this awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which I am loving it:)

Sending from my White Sexy Galaxy Note 2.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have an iPhone 5 on order that will be here today but I'm seriously thinking of going for the Note 2. The battery life on the Note 2 is something I would definitely fall in love with. Also the iPhone hasn't really advanced and I am bored with it so I am seriously thinking of going with the Note 2. There are, however, 3 things that concern me about the note 2.

1.) The size of this thing. I have played with them at stores and even made sure it will fit in my pocket, but I'm not sure this will be practical carrying around all day. Most things I use 2 hands for anyways (Texting, Web Browsing, etc.) even on the tiny 3.5" iPhone 4S screen, which is why I think a bigger screen will be nice.

2.) Samsung is known for having really bad reception on their phones when it comes to CDMA. Their AT&T and T-mobile versions seem to be ok but not their Sprint or Verizon versions. I need a phone i can rely on which is why I really liked the iPhone, it had great reception. This is the biggest concern of mine as of right now because if I return the iPhone 5 and get the Note 2 I will be stuck with the Note 2 and I don't want to be stuck with a phone that gets crappy reception.

3.) Having to deal with insurance if something goes wrong with the phone. With Apple I could purchase Apple Care+ and if anything goes wrong with my phone I take it in to my apple store 30 miles away and it will be fixed or the phone will be replaced with a brand new phone (not refurb). If I go with the Note 2 will I have to pay deductibles on the Asurion insurance for Manufacturer defects and things wrong with the phone or only on accidental damage like dropping it? I used to know all about the insurance thing but I've been out of the loop for a while now.

Ultimately I am just bored with the iPhone and would love to come back to Android but I refuse to get something running ICS so it comes down to keeping the iPhone 5, going for the Note 2 or looking into the Droid DNA which looks to be a better size for my liking but without all the things I like about the Note 2 like battery life and some of the Touch Wiz and S Pen features.

I went from being a long time iphone junkie to the GS3 for a few weeks and now to the Note 2 last week,,,,,,, while my iphone 5 was cool it was as you say boring,,,,, total boredom with iOS and the lack of features that are standard on other phones are the the things that drove me away from Apple.

My iphone 5 is currently listed on eBay,,,,,, I'm keeping the Note 2.

I almost forgot to mention how much FUN the Note 2 is,,,,, the Note 2 is simply a blast to use and play with,,,,,, and GREAT call quality as well !!!!

I'm still getting used to the size but so far I can't see going back to the GS3,,,,,, all the killer features of the Note 2 outweigh any size issue I'm finding.

Cheers
Davyo

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
MiXoLoGiSt, who is your wireless carrier? If it's Verizon/Sprint, can you switch? That will resolve on of your concerns.
As far as the insurance issue - there are decisions and risks one has to make/take. I purchased two Note II SIM free GT-N7100 at full price. I am on my own! Do you have any risk tolerance within you?

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
MiXoLoGiSt, who is your wireless carrier? If it's Verizon/Sprint, can you switch? That will resolve on of your concerns.
As far as the insurance issue - there are decisions and risks one has to make/take. I purchased two Note II SIM free GT-N7100 at full price. I am on my own! Do you have any risk tolerance within you?

Unfortunately no I can't switch carriers. Verizon gets the best service just about everywhere I go not to mention I have Verizon 4G LTE in my area. I also have a discount on my monthly bill with Verizon.

As far as risking it, sure I could risk it but I do like knowing my faulty phone will be taken care of without having to pay a huge deductible. Last I heard from Verizon the deductible was like $160 for smartphones.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Mix:
I am also carefully considering the GN2.
I am considering alongside the RAZR Maxx HD and the HTC Droid DNA.
Right now it is in the lead but I am waiting to see how the GN2 battery life performs on full time LTE.
Most of the reviews have been great on battery life but they have been on networks with little to no LTE.
There also have been conflicting reports on the specs of the Droid DNA so I am anxiously awaiting tomorrows unveiling to get all of the particulars.
I don't have a phone on order so I have the luxury of waiting a little longer than you.
I may wait until CES in January or the MWC in February to see the latest for spring launches before pulling the trigger.
By that time the 32gb GN2 will probably be available.
My thoughts on your listed GN2 concerns:
1.) Size: that is completely an individual issue but if you read through the GN2 forums hardly anyone has complained about the size.
Most have gotten used to it fairly quickly. The only issue seems to be the "cool factor" of talking with the large phone on your ear.
Many have addressed this issue by using a Bluetooth earpiece or microphone equipped headphones.
2.) Cell radio reception: Again, take a look at the forum reviews. There has been little to no talk of reception issues with the GN2. This includes the CDMA version with Sprint that has been out a while now. We will get a better look, with a larger sample size, when Verizon launches because they will sell a lot more (than Sprint) with a much larger subscriber base. But at this point this does not appear to be a concern.
3.) Insurance: Many on these forums swear by the Best Buy insurance and are waiting for their GN2 availability.
The monthly cost is slightly higher ($11 or $12 vs. $8) than Assurion through Vzw but there is no deductible and replacements are generally new phones as opposed to refurbished.
Right now the GN2 is the largest, most powerful and most feature rich phone available.
I am going to wait until after the new year but "at this point" that is the phone for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance