Is it that hard to make a flip cover that DOESN'T block the notification LED?!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one annoyed by this??!! I'm getting my Note 2 (hopefully) tomorrow and search as I might for a decent flip cover, I just can't find one that doesn't cover the darn notification LED!!

Or maybe I'm the only one that needs to see the light when something's waiting to be read and your phone is closed?

six8

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Notification lights are overrated in my opinion. I mean seriously, it's really that hard to turn your screen on and check?

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one annoyed by this??!! I'm getting my Note 2 (hopefully) tomorrow and search as I might for a decent flip cover, I just can't find one that doesn't cover the darn notification LED!!

Or maybe I'm the only one that needs to see the light when something's waiting to be read and your phone is closed?

You just might be the only one. If being able to see the notification light is that important, I suggest you not get a flip case/ cover and find something else. You can also turn on the smart feature to have the phone vibrate when you pick it up if you have any missed calls or messages.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would if those were the notifications I need...but I RARELY use my phone to actually make phone calls, and none of my friends use SMS anymore... Flip Covers are cool, no denying that... it's just annoying that it just takes a few extra nips to make that darn speaker hole longer and reveal the LED...

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one annoyed by this?

You aren't the only one. The blocking of the notification LED (and the volume controls) is why I decided to forgo the flip cover.

Notification lights are overrated in my opinion. I mean seriously, it's really that hard to turn your screen on and check?

I think you meant to say:

Is it really that hard to open the flip cover, hit the button to turn on the phone and then drag down on the screen to open the notification tray?

In an iOS device, it isn't that hard to just turn the device on. Due to differences in design on Android, the notification lights are very handy for some people.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize it also covered the volume rocker... even worse. And it's not really about the hassle of having to open the cover and check the phone, it's the fact that I want to know if I get a message when I'm not looking or in a meeting where no sound nor vibration is set. If the cover blocks the LED then I won't know I got that notification until I open the phone

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
.....I didn't realize it also covered the volume rocker... even worse.

Oh wow! I guess I never paid that any mind. I have the flip cover and although volume rocker works the the case, having them covered just never crossed my mind. It may have if they weren't usable.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

jkelsey73

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Im with you on that! I so rely on my notification LED - I have my phone on silent almost all day and I love that I can see the LED flash when I get a message. I have different colors for my contacts and I love it! I wish they would make a flip cover with a hole for the LED light.

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't Bother me that much to open the flip case to see the notification ked. What bothers me is alk the notifications are the same color

Sent from a really big phone.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize it also covered the volume rocker... even worse. And it's not really about the hassle of having to open the cover and check the phone, it's the fact that I want to know if I get a message when I'm not looking or in a meeting where no sound nor vibration is set. If the cover blocks the LED then I won't know I got that notification until I open the phone

Not to get too off-topic, but does the spine of the case actually protect the volume rocker buttons?? I'm demo'ing a GN2 and bought a knock-off flip cover and what drives me nuts is that i keep accidentally changing the volume when I hold the phone because the spine is so thin. Nearly every time I put the phone in, or take it out of my pocket I am hitting the buttons.. Does the official Samsung flip cover offer more protection against this?

To get back on-topic, I'd also love a hole for the LED, just not sure if I'm brave enough to take a whole punch or drill bit to it, I'd be too worried about it fraying after some time.

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Not to get too off-topic, but does the spine of the case actually protect the volume rocker buttons?? I'm demo'ing a GN2 and bought a knock-off flip cover and what drives me nuts is that i keep accidentally changing the volume when I hold the phone because the spine is so thin. Nearly every time I put the phone in, or take it out of my pocket I am hitting the buttons.. Does the official Samsung flip cover offer more protection against this?

To get back on-topic, I'd also love a hole for the LED, just not sure if I'm brave enough to take a whole punch or drill bit to it, I'd be too worried about it fraying after some time.

No. It has the same issue. I adapted to it by hitting the power button if I am going to close the cover. What does suck is if you get a notification that activates the volume rocker and you go to open the case and in the process mess with the volume.

thebluman

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to turn off sensors to prevent the phone from sleeping when the flip cover is flipped all the way back around to the back of the device?
- Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, your device goes to sleep as if you closed the cover when it's actually flipped to the back? If so, THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN! :S Maybe the magnet in your cover is way too strong?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante