Can you view images with USB connection to a PC ???

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
On my GS3 when I want to transfer camera images via USB connection the GS3 DCIM folder only will display generic thumb nails on my PC,,, does the Note 2 have this same issue as the GS3.

Or,,,, does the Note 2 display the actual photos/images taken with the camera when viewing the DCIM folder on a PC ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Davyo

ianmac23

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you have windows xp? If you do that is the problem. Windows 7 works fine.
On my GS3 when I want to transfer camera images via USB connection the GS3 DCIM folder only will display generic thumb nails on my PC,,, does the Note 2 have this same issue as the GS3.

Or,,,, does the Note 2 display the actual photos/images taken with the camera when viewing the DCIM folder on a PC ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Do you have windows xp? If you do that is the problem. Windows 7 works fine.

Yep,,, I have Windows 7,,,, can't view images on my GS3 via USB on my PC,,, same issue everyone else seems to be having with the GS3,,,,, as I understand it has something to do with the GS3 showing the DCIM folder as a mass storage or not.

It's very frustrating with the GS3,,,,,, if the Note 2 does not have this issue it might a good reason for me to switch to the Note 2.

Cheers
Davyo

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Download Kies Air from Samsung, then connect with USB and open the Kies Air app on your phone. It will give you a URL to browse to and you will have access to your images (with preview) and MUCH more on your phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is that the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 automatically default to MTP mode when connected to USB; I haven't been able to find the option to use as Mass Storage... I know in my Galaxy S2 the option was there...don't know why it's not in these newer phones anymore. (Pre-vista Windows struggles with MTP drivers, and my work PC has WinXP on it, that's why I need mass storage mode back)

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Geeeze,,,,, I had hoped the Note 2 did not suffer the same issue as my GS3,,,,,,,, every camera on the planet and every phone I have owned thur out life all ya have to is open the DCIM folder and there's your photos to view and know which photos are which.

WTF is Samsung thinking that they would make it such a pain to do such a simple thing,,,,,,, Apple does lots of stupid stuff, that's why i got the GS3 and am selling my iphone 5 and getting rid of my ipad next,,,, I guesss Samsung likes to do stupid stuff as well,,, just hopefully not as many bad moves as Apple does.

Cheers
Davyo

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not really Samsung's fault here... It's the MTP standard's limitation, really. MTP lets the phone use the SD card while connected to the PC, but limits the preview part of Windows (the file is not accessed unless you actually try to open it or move it). Mass Storage mode lets you have more functionality in the PC but the standard doesn't let the phone use the SD card while connected. I can see why Sammy decided to default their phones' connection mode to MTP, but I can't understand why they're either hiding the Mass Storage mode or just plain removed support for it from their devices.

We can still use Kies Air for better functionality but that requires your computer and phone to be in the same WiFi network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci