Samsung supporting Note 1 with TouchWiz UX

Younjulius

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I've just read the news from the front page that Samsung may upgrade the firmware for the original Note to 4.1.2 with the latest Touch Wiz UX. Regardless of my opinion regarding the TouchWiz, it's a great thing.

One of the strengths of Apple with iOS is its long commitment of older hardware. I would love to get a sense that my Note 2 will be supported at least next couple years with the latest update in Android. In turn, that's going to increase the value of the phone. I hope the rumor is correct and Samsung and other Android makers to look long term building their customer bases.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Correct, there is interesting news from AC on this, today: Android 4.1.2 update for Galaxy Note could add Nature UX, multi-window feature | Android Central

So, the question remains...will this be on the Note2 at the same time as the Note1 and S3? One would think, but given the nature of updates and carrier approval/testing...it's not exactly in the bag to happen at the same time. It does bode well for a 'soon' assumption though, along with VZW customers looking to have it upon the Note2 roll-out. But, what is 'IT'? 4.1.2? Firmware update for the multi-window/task feature itself already on the VZW model?

I have AT&T, so I have NO idea how or when this will happen, thus far.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Wrong fora but nice to see. Whoever has my note 1 should be happier. The unspecified date is the hook though.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
You can always root it...folks are showing off their photosphere skills in a recent AC article, since they put 4.2 on their S3!

I dont want to root...yet. I'm new to Android...not new to Linux or computing by any means, but I'd like to not mess with the nice expensive phone for now (er...when I finally get it from AT&T this week).

However, I understood this would be the case -sporadic updates amongst devices/carriers- before I decided to migrate from the iPhone 3GS. Lots of devices, lots of carriers...even Samsung's TouchWiz has multitask and of its own and furthered that functionality with a multi-window feature, S-Voice, S-Pen, S-this, S-that...oh yeah, S-Beam, whereas Android OS is finally doing this with Android Beam on 4.2! So, the device maker s/w can be 'ahead' with respect to some of Android's functionality, since, they DO make the hardware as well...they deal closely with the chip manufacturer who creates the u-code and thus the functions that the device maker and Google (Android OS) can exploit...as well as 3rd party developers, if Google and Samsung's s/w allows them

...otherwise...people root! :)

As for rooting the Note 2 one day...maybe when I get the Note 4, THEN I'll root the 'old' Note 2 and have a NEWER OS level than the Note 4! ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante