Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deaj
  • 1 Post By sndplace
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 on the Nook Color

Default Is a TPU case enough?

Is a TPU enough to protect this phone from a drop? Not a huge drop, say, sliding off the couch kind of drop?

After reading all the stories about shattered screens, huge deductibles with Asurion... worried.

Default Re: Is a TPU case enough?

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulfarm View Post
    Is a TPU enough to protect this phone from a drop? Not a huge drop, say, sliding off the couch kind of drop?

After reading all the stories about shattered screens, huge deductibles with Asurion... worried.
    buy the phone at Best Buy with the insurance and theirs no deductible if you drop it or crack the screen, except it doesn't cover lost or theft

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulfarm View Post

The last hard case that I used was on the og EVO. For whatever reason, the case scratched the sides of the phone up pretty effectively.

I've used TPU cases ever since. My phones have survived plenty of falls without a scratch, and I think my Note will to.

This is the first phone I've done it to, but I put a full body "ArmorShield" on it, basically a screen protector material that covers the entire phone; front, back and all 4 edges. Buttons and ports are left open of course. Great protection against casual scratches and from dirt/dust that gets into a normal case. I am waiting for my TPU case to show up, but its taking forever to show up (shipping from oversea's) so might grab one from someplace else I can get quick.

Amazon.com: ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Note II Screen Protector Shield + Full Body Skin Protector & Lifetime Replacements: Cell Phones & Accessories

Though more expensive than a case I'm of the opinion that accidental damage repair/replacement insurance is the way to go, especially with a phone as large as the Note 2. Any case will increase the size of the phone making quick one-handed operation more difficult. The Note 2's width is about as wide as my hands can comfortably handle and operate so adding to its size just would not work for me. For my part (knock on wood) I have yet to drop or otherwise cause significant damage to a PDA or Smartphone in 16 years of use. I've only ever used a leather holster type case where, once removed, the phone/PDA is otherwise unprotected (save for careful handling) until returned to the holster. AD insurance will cost me ~$80. A little pricey for a case alternative? Yes, but - it serves as a virtual case that adds no size or weight to the phone and it provides better protection than any physical case.

That's just my $0.02.
    Thanked by:
    acordo01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaj View Post
    Though more expensive than a case I'm of the opinion that accidental damage repair/replacement insurance is the way to go, especially with a phone as large as the Note 2. Any case will increase the size of the phone making quick one-handed operation more difficult. The Note 2's width is about as wide as my hands can comfortably handle and operate so adding to its size just would not work for me. For my part (knock on wood) I have yet to drop or otherwise cause significant damage to a PDA or Smartphone in 16 years of use. I've only ever used a leather holster type case where, once removed, the phone/PDA is otherwise unprotected (save for careful handling) until returned to the holster. AD insurance will cost me ~$80. A little pricey for a case alternative? Yes, but - it serves as a virtual case that adds no size or weight to the phone and it provides better protection than any physical case.

That's just my $0.02.
    Word n it feels nice to have a phone naked the way it was designed to be. The Samsung covers i might consider but i will wait. Because MFG spend a lot of time and thought into the external look.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acordo01 View Post
    Word n it feels nice to have a phone naked the way it was designed to be. The Samsung covers i might consider but i will wait. Because MFG spend a lot of time and thought into the external look.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    If only I can get a tpu case and a leather holster plus the best buy insurance you mentioned I would do that but its hard to find a leather holster big enough to fit the phone with the tpu case

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

I'm waiting for a shipment, should be here by next week. People like different things. TPU, SIlicone, Pouches, Flip Covers Etc , The tpu case for everyday normal use with minor & few drops should be fine. If you like carrying this phone in your pants pocket then a thin case is the way yo go so you wouldn't have to much bulk. If you like to ware baggy or cargo pants/shorts that have side pockets by your knee then thicker cases hybrids that offer you more options and protection will work for you. You can even have both in one sense, Tpu case, then put it into a pouch that offers you a belt clip. The pouches are thick and bulky but when the phone is in the pouch, it will offer you the extra protection.

Depending on extended battery I may use the 4200 mAh with the tpu & pouch combo or just the pouch with the extra bulk from the 6500mAh Battery.
    blaze5 likes this.