Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does it matter what class of SD card I use?

I am planning on getting a 32GB SDHC micro memory card for my new Galaxy Note II international version.

I know that for digital cameras it's recommended to get a class 10 card for fast writing and processing.

Does it matter what class I get for the Note II?
    Android user since the very first T-Mobile G1...

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

Default Re: Does it matter what class of SD card I use?

Not really, just speed.

Video cameras need certain speeds to keep up with recording but on the phone you just wait longer for things to copy. Not a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Not really, just speed.

Video cameras need certain speeds to keep up with recording but on the phone you just wait longer for things to copy. Not a big difference.
    Will lower rated card have an impact on boot-up time?

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

Doubt it, the things required for bootup are not on the SD card. Even after boot up the media scanner should work about the same speed no matter what because the reading speeds are fairly close. The bottleneck is the write speeds on those cards.

They all read at the same speed. The class determines the write speed. You probably don't need anything faster than class 6. Photos and videos will have no problem writing to the card.

The one use case where class 10 may be worth the extra cost is if you want to transfer large files off of your PC.
    Thanked by:

How about recall time???
    Does a class 10 pull up and go through photos faster? It seems i always have to wait for photos to appear. I have about 1000 or so

Quote Originally Posted by saltysteve View Post
    How about recall time???
    Does a class 10 pull up and go through photos faster? It seems i always have to wait for photos to appear. I have about 1000 or so

The best I can say is the higher the class the better speeds you will get on everything that deals with the card. That also assumes the phone can use the card to its max power.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2.
    For the sake of protecting you, my precious person, I shall turn into the Chronicle Key.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

This higher class # = higher speed across the board is a bit of a misnomer. Lower class (4&6) seem to have higher random access speeds, so when pulling up files lower than 6MB, it may behoove you to have a lower class card. Seems handy when pulling up photo and MP3. If you're transferring large files you may see speed increases for things like full movies or apps. Is it worth 10 seconds every now and then? I'll let you decide. For myself, the class 10 will be worth it as 64gb of storage wil allow me to transfer a lot of video for the kiddos and my own nerd-ventures.

As an aside, I find it humorous (though I'm equally guilty) when people try to save $10 on the accessories for the $300+ phone they paid to get day 1.

So here are some cases where class 10 is better than class 6...
    If you rooted your device and you're planning to use the 64gb for your main storage card, highest class card is recommended because that's where all the apps will be running from.
    If your app has a lot of external data on the external storage card. Maybe a game has a gig of extra data on the external card. Could speed up load times.
    If you are always loading huge files on the external card. Like if you transfer like 5+ gigs a day on the external drive, then I would definitely think the time saved waiting in the long run is well worth the money.

When does it not matter...
    Shooting HD video. There is no setting that will exceed more than 4-5MB/sec. So you don't need anything higher than class 6.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
    Check out my huge collection of 64GB Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Videos (Demos, Accessory Reviews)

Thanks for the info, I just picked up a class 10 from Best Buy, SanDisk Ultra 64gb for 60 bucks, now i need the note 2.

The Nottinator
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,602 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

But if the os doesn't handle any thing above class 6 then why spend the extra cash? As noted in countless threads you'll see nothing different from 6-10. The only way you'll see the in class 10 is on your PC. And last I checked apps to SD was done away with by Google. With the added storage there's no need to store apps on SD any more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    But if the os doesn't handle any thing above class 6 then why spend the extra cash? As noted in countless threads you'll see nothing different from 6-10. The only way you'll see the in class 10 is on your PC. And last I checked apps to SD was done away with by Google. With the added storage there's no need to store apps on SD any more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Music, movies, pictures, storage for heavy data use apps.

The Nottinator

Hoping to continue this a little further to make sure I follow.

I've read how lower class cards have higher random access speeds. So that chimes in with what ascian5 said. And I believe I follow LucidMike's examples concerning using a higher class card for high frequent transfers of large (multi gig) files to (to/from?) the card.

However, I'm uncertain as to which direction to head when the primary use for storage will be the following:

*Listening to music (transfered via Doubletwist or similar)

*Taking/Storing photos with the SGNII

*Manipulating those images on the fly with Picsay Pro or similar (assume manipulated files to be under 6mb)

The secondary use would be:

*Uploading images from external drive to the micro SD... Let's say 80 MB a week

*Uploading movies... A new venture for me so no idea the file size here, but assume one full length (2 hours) high quality file movie a week

My first and foremost concern is music, images and manipulating those images. That being the case, it would seem I would be better served by a class 4. I'm hoping someone might confirm that (or speak further to the topic in general). If that is the case, what impact might that have on my secondary uses, in terms of upload times, and more importantly, what effect if any might that have on movie playback?

Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Bump

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

I've got a class 10 card because in a pinch, I can put it in my wife's DSLR camera and continue snapping pictures.

I can use it to transfer large files from one computer to another.

The real deciding factor was that was the card BB had in stock.

The Nottinator