Galaxy Note 2 or wait 6 months for new Samsung Flagship

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I had my mind made up.
When Big Red released the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I was going to retire my trusty HTC Thunderbolt.
The GN2 is the most advanced, powerful, feature rich smartphone on the market today.

Then I read this report from Pc-Tablet.com
Samsung Galaxy S4 Release Date will feature 13 MP camera, OLED display and Android 4.2 Key Lime Pie

The Galaxy S4 will be introduced at the Mobile World Congress in February or early in the 2nd quarter according to this report.
The eye popping specs: :p
4.8-inch OLED display with screen resolution of 1366-by-768 pixels
Android 4.2 Key Lime Pie
13 Megapixel primary camera and claims it is going to be the best camera ever fitted in a smartphone and 1.9 megapixel of Skype certified HD front-facing camera
2.0 GHz quad-core processor
3GB of RAM
32GB, 64GB and 128 GB memory variants
3200 mAh massive battery

If true is this worth waiting 6 more months?

GKar

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You will always be waiting as six months down the road there will be a better phone than the current best phone on the market.

jaymars

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Get the Note 2, then wait for the Note 3 which would be that with a five inch screen. Technology evolves exponentially, there's always gonna be something faster and more powerful around the corner.

Martinezma99

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Buy today because you never know what tomorrow holds. Loving my GN2! Life is short.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
-5.55" is better than 4.8 inch. Just a little bit better color, accuracy, battery wise won't be enough to outweigh the benefits of the extra .75 inches
the camera sounds good, but it isn't a gotta have it feature. I take photos seriously and for that purpose, i have a real camera. For everything else, I make best with what I got and the Note 2 does plenty.
-The processor sounds great, and will be much better for 3D gaming, but again, not a must have feature. The 1.6 quad core is no slouch.
-RAM...2 to 3gb, probably not as noticable as a 1gb to 2gb.
-64GB and 128GB models...considering how difficult it is to get a 64GB, or even a 32GB now, I hardly call this any kind of benefit.
-Battery....Let's see them actually fit that battery into the S4. Should be nice, but I'm sure you've seen a dozen thread by now saying how amazing the battery life on the note 2 is. It is very good to a point where it just lasts when you need it to last, you can use it liberally, and not have to manage the toggles.

My thoughts, not worth the wait.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
How badly do you need a new phone? I would wait, but that's only because I think the Note 2 it's just a bigger Galaxy S III, and new stuff isn't too far down the road. You definitely sound like you're on the fence, and I never buy a new phone if I feel like I'm on the fence about it.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
6 months later :

"Should I get the Galaxy S4 or wait for the Note 3?"

12 months later:

"Should I get the Note 3 or wait for the Galaxy S5?"

In 18 months:

"Should I get the Galaxy S5 or wait for the Note 4?"

Conclusion: you're going to have to jump in the pool at some point.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow the s4 sounds great but problem is if you wait then your going to.wonder about the note 3 I say go for the note 2 and if you really want the s4 you could always sell the note 2

Sent from my PC36100

Mweuch

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Or you could wait another 6 months after the GS4 and get the Gnote 3 which is going to be even better spec wise. But it's going to be up to you if you want the best NOW or the best one 6 months down the road. Good luck.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
You will always be waiting as six months down the road there will be a better phone than the current best phone on the market.

In most cases the advances are small and incremental but these are huge advances that are the best in every category.
Key Lime Pie
Best camera
Most Ram (3 vs. 2; 50% increase)
Fastest processor (2.0 vs. 1.6; 25% increase)
The 32gb unit is base model to thwart the carriers that only offer the smaller storage units that encourage more data transfers.
Then there is the 64gb & 128gb models (even though they aren't likely to be sold in US).
The S4 also offers an OLED screen that uses less power than Amoled paired with a huge 3200 mAh battery. This combination promises extended battery life.

Then there is the change to high end materials. The only real point that Galaxy "haters" had was the use of light weight plastic compared to the iphone, RAZR, and HTC devices. Now the Galaxy line will have firmer more durable materials appropriate for a flagship phone.
I really like the GN2 but the GS4 & GN3 will be huge leaps forward.
Once VZW releases the GN2 I will decide.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your premise but problem is this is all speculation right now I say wait till the new phone is announced and if its that much more of an upgrade the buy it if not you can't go wrong with current phone that are on the market

Sent from my PC36100

anon(590893)

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
+1

It's all a matter of speculation. Remember what they thought the 2011 iPhone was going to be (it's an Android forum, but I needed a good example)? Really, the Note 2 is an awesome device any way.

AaronSmart

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Get the note 2 now and get the note 3 next year around the same timeframe.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

Agreed that was my strategy.

Enjoy it now and look forward to the future

Return of value is decent on the notes for resale if you don't expect more then half the original price

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
As a current BB10 / Z10 user i'm getting the Note2. I love the screen for my purpose. i want the phone now for my needs. So if it's good now it'll be as good as when the Notes3 comes out.

My rule. If a phone does everything I want it to do plus more. Than that's what counts. The Notes 3 won't change the fact that the Notes 2 will outperform my needs.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If you want a phone now, go for it, if you can wait for about 4-5months then get the new note.

If you dont like the S4 (features cpu gpu design ect) then you'll prob wont like the note 3 as this will have similar features as S4 except the note 3 will have a different design

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos