Is the Note 2 for me?

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Intro

First post here so hello all.

Now I know there are plenty of reviews on the Note 2 and plenty of comparisons against other phones, I know there are also a few threads on here about whether or not the Note 2 is for them.

I've consulted as many of these sources as possible but since the Note 2 is a pretty big investment for me I wanted to get some more opinions from those that own or have used a Note 2, product reviews are all very well and good but they never seem to cover 'living' with the product. I actually already own a Note 2 but it was a bit of an impulse purchase and I have kept the device still fully sealed and have spoken to the retailer about the possibility of refunding it. Since it isn't exactly a cheap phone I wanted more advice before deciding whether to keep it or return it.

What I want

I will admit I am a gadget lover but I do tend to get bored of things pretty quickly.

I rarely use mobile phones as phones. I use them for:

• Internet browsing for usually about an hour a day.
  • Texting (I sent between 5 and 50 messages a day).
  • Social networking (usually just checking Facebook).

I need a device that is relatively thin and lightweight yet durable.

My recent history of phones

HTC Desire. Used for approx 1 year.
My first Android phone. Absolutely loved it although found it a little buggy at times. Was a little too thick and the design wasn't amazing but was sturdy and reliable. Probably the longest I have ever had a phone for.

HTC Sensation XL. Used for approx 6 months.
Bought to replace my Desire. Loved the screen size. Battery life wasn't great.

iPhone 4. Used for approx 3 months (killed by rain).
Allowed me to replace my iPod and just carry one device. Screen size wasn't great as the on screen keyboard took up far too much of the screen. Would have kept it but died thanks to water damage.

HTC One X. Used for approx 7 months.
Good size screen. Battery life wasn't great. Seemed to have some signal issues at home used on the same network as all the previous phones which didn't have the same issue. Also my biggest gripe which I will no doubt be mocked for was the way it stretched your wallpaper across all of your home screens.

Blackberry Bold 9790. My current phone. Used for approx 3 months.
Loved the physical keyboard which I found more accurate than touchscreen. Nice and study. Despite the smaller screen size the aspect ratio worked well for web browsing but only for media light sites. Poor choice of apps.

My impressions of the Note 2

Before I purchased the device I spoke to a Samsung rep who let me have a quick play with his. I was actually talking to him about the S3 which I was planning on buying but I noticed he had a Note 2 and I was keen to have a look, within about 5 minutes I bought one.

I like Android as an OS, its just so flexible yet easy to use and it is nice to see a phone with removable battery and expandable memory.

The battery life seems to be very good.

I like that the phone has a fair few 'party tricks' like being able to run apps split screen, s-voice and even though I am not sure how much usage the S-Pen would get I like the fact that it is there and that it is so clever.

The phone did seem to fit easily in to my pocket and seemed a comfortable weight. Despite this size is still my biggest worry, not just about how portable the device will prove to be but also as to how durable it will be, my current Blackberry, my iPhone 4 and my HTC Desire whilst not the most stylish of phones always felt very sturdy.

I can't take it out of the box as that would mean I couldn't return it and all my local phone shops that have it on display have it covered in security devices that don't allow me to get a good hands on let alone try it in my pocket again.

Other phones I am interested in

Galaxy S3 I was looking in to buying this when I actually ended up getting the Note 2 instead. Basically I see the S3 as all the things I loved about my HTC One X but with expandable memory and a removable battery. The 16gb model is also a pretty reasonable price.

iPhone 5 I know mentioning this on an Android forum might get me shot but I do like the fact that it allows me to replace my iPod which I use daily on the walk to and back from work and I couldn't live without. Didn't like the price as to replace my iPod I would probably need the 64gb although might get away with a 32gb. Also don't like the fact that it seems to scratch very easily.

I know I could grab a 4S but being such a gadget lover I don't know if I could hack buying a device that isn't the latest and now it seems to only be available with the smallest memory option which wouldn't do for me.

Nexus 4 Seems a very nice spec but the benchmarks seem to be all over the place. I'm not sure if this is as all the reviews have been on versions not running the final firmware or if there is something bottle necking the performance. Great price. No replaceable battery. Looks a bit boring.

A big thanks to those that respond and indulging me and I apologise for the essay but I just want to give as much information as possible to ensure I get the best quality feedback. So everyone what are your thoughts? Is the Note 2 for me or should I take it back and get something else?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The problem with assessing durability at this point is that Note 2 users have had their devices for a couple of months at most. That said, it feels sturdy and durable, much like my Evo 4g felt like that (and was).

The radios and GPS (finally, Samsung) are amazing. My voice and 3g data are much stronger than my old S2, and the GPS locks quickly (which was not the case with my S2). The speed and smoothness of the UI and OS blow away most other Android phones. Having JB out of the box is huge.

I am mostly use the SPen for Draw Something at the moment, but a lot of users have found it to be essential.

The battery is simply amazing. Whatever they're saying about the Droid RAZR Maxx applies here. I've never actually gotten down below 25% in the two weeks I've owned this phone. I don't even know what the low battery warning chirp sounds like.

I've had to get used to more two handed use, as even reaching for the back button one handed requires some hand gymnastics. But two handed typing with SwiftKey is unparalleled. The last time I could type so quickly was my Treo 650, and SwiftKey word suggestion let's me type even faster than that.

In fact, the only knock I would give this phone is that one of handed use is possible for browsing and Tapatalk but requires a lot of hand shifting. If one handed use is a big factor in your purchase, you may become unhappy using this phone. On the other hand, two handed use is fantastic.

If you can get past the lowered one handed usability, this IS the phone to own.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick and detailed response it is most appreciated.

Could I ask you a little more about the one handed vs two handed use? I tend to use my phone whilst static if that makes sense, I rarely walk around texting or browsing so I wouldn't have thought I would have many issues relating to one handed use as I should be able to always use two hands however I honestly hadn't considered potential issues like this.

I've seen an option to shrink the keyboard down to make it easier to use for one handed use. Do you find this works well? I know you mentioned reaching for the back button being a bit awkward what other types of issues have you found arise from one handed use or just because of the general size of the device? .

AaronSmart

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
If you enjoy the actual size of the phone then it's right for you. I've had the I phone 5 the s3 and the blackberry 9700 all in the last year and the note is miles ahead of them all if you feel the size is an advantage.

If it's a bit bulky or you can't be sure you will enjoy having to hold it more then keep it in your pocket, got g3 or another route.

For a simple phone the 9700 is my favorite but in don't view the note as a simple phone :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

With the quick hands on of the phone I got well there is no denying its a big device but it didn't seem like it would be too big but that was just with having a play on it for a couple of minutes. I'm just not sure whether I would find it too big in real every day usage. From what I have read a number of owners seemed to find it quite large at first but found after a few days they got used to it. I am not sure though if for some people it goes the other way.

When I got the HTC One X it was one of the larger phones on the market and I didn't have any issue with it, the Note 2 doesn't seem to be that much bigger so I wouldn't have thought the size would be an issue but I think the only way I will know for certain is to unbox it and find out.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Why not get it and try it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

The retailer are only happy to return it so long as it remains sealed in the original packaging.

If I get it out and for whatever reason me and the phone don't get on I'm left with a very pricey bit of kit that I won't be using, I could sell it but I imagine I would lose quite a bit of the price selling it on as second hand so I just wanted to get the impressions of some Note 2 owners to get their thoughts on how they find the device and whether they think based on what I have said it is the right phone for me.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had so many phones I can't keep count and the Note 2 has been the best investment I've ever made. Size wasn't a factor for me; the bigger the better. I had the 5" Galaxy Player and in terms of size it met all my social media needs.

Battery life is astounding. With heavy use I'm averaging over 24 hrs. As someone already mentioned, I haven't reached the low battery warning. By the time I'm ready to go to bed there's still about 25-35% left. I did order a spare battery because I'm on my phone so much that I much prefer replacing with a full battery than using it connected to the charger. Sometimes I'm up all night and it's during those times I'll use it while charging but like I said I don't like doing that.

I can't begin to express how fast this phone is. I had purchased the Galaxy Tab 2 7" and not long after I heard/read rumors of the Note 2 arriving. No one knew if Sprint would get it but it seemed a strong possibility since they didn't get the original Note. Once the official leak became official I did the buy back for the 5" player and returned the 7" tab. Since this device meets those 2 in the middle size-wise, I didn't feel as though I'd be missing out on anything. Also both those devices weren't quad core and the difference in performance is extremely noticeable.

I change phones faster than I change clothes yet THIS phone will be with me for a while. The only thing that would compliment it (IMHO) is the Note 10.1

The S-Pen. I'm a stylus girl back when phones used real styli. I was fluid then but a beast now! :p
With the inclusion of the Wacom digitizer it makes the stylus feel futuristic. Usable not gimmicky. Yes I do use my phone one handed.... . Left hand holds it and S-Pen rocks out doing everything else.

As far as multi view; that didn't come with the phone but a software update will take care of that. I couldn't wait for the OTA so I did mine manually. Funny thing about that though.....I couldn't wait for it yet now that I have it I've only used it once and that was to show off. :p

Now is this phone for you? Without a doubt I think it's for everyone but that's just me. It's hard for me to see it not being for everyone because the complaints (which are few) seem like nitpicking reasons to talk oneself into not liking the phone.

After seeing me with mine, one of my friends upgrading to the titanium gray. After seeing his, one of his friends got the white. This phone is a monster and as you can probably discern, I don't have buyers remorse.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed response.

Its getting increasingly difficult to resist unboxing mine and using it. Sounds like you are like me in terms of going through handsets quickly. By no means do I NEED the Note 2 or even a new phone as my BB 9790 does the job but so hard to resist a new shiny.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had so many phones I can't keep count and the Note 2 has been the best investment I've ever made. Size wasn't a factor for me; the bigger the better. I had the 5" Galaxy Player and in terms of size it met all my social media needs.

Battery life is astounding. With heavy use I'm averaging over 24 hrs. As someone already mentioned, I haven't reached the low battery warning. By the time I'm ready to go to bed there's still about 25-35% left. I did order a spare battery because I'm on my phone so much that I much prefer replacing with a full battery than using it connected to the charger. Sometimes I'm up all night and it's during those times I'll use it while charging but like I said I don't like doing that.

I can't begin to express how fast this phone is. I had purchased the Galaxy Tab 2 7" and not long after I heard/read rumors of the Note 2 arriving. No one knew if Sprint would get it but it seemed a strong possibility since they didn't get the original Note. Once the official leak became official I did the buy back for the 5" player and returned the 7" tab. Since this device meets those 2 in the middle size-wise, I didn't feel as though I'd be missing out on anything. Also both those devices weren't quad core and the difference in performance is extremely noticeable.

I change phones faster than I change clothes yet THIS phone will be with me for a while. The only thing that would compliment it (IMHO) is the Note 10.1

The S-Pen. I'm a stylus girl back when phones used real styli. I was fluid then but a beast now! :p
With the inclusion of the Wacom digitizer it makes the stylus feel futuristic. Usable not gimmicky. Yes I do use my phone one handed.... . Left hand holds it and S-Pen rocks out doing everything else.

As far as multi view; that didn't come with the phone but a software update will take care of that. I couldn't wait for the OTA so I did mine manually. Funny thing about that though.....I couldn't wait for it yet now that I have it I've only used it once and that was to show off. :p

Now is this phone for you? Without a doubt I think it's for everyone but that's just me. It's hard for me to see it not being for everyone because the complaints (which are few) seem like nitpicking reasons to talk oneself into not liking the phone.

After seeing me with mine, one of my friends upgrading to the titanium gray. After seeing his, one of his friends got the white. This phone is a monster and as you can probably discern, I don't have buyers remorse.

I did the manual update, enabled multiple windows and the prompt is on the side with no split screen. Probably should have waited.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
In the UK I believe the Note 2 has the multitasking already. The Samsung rep that let me try his had it enabled so if I do keep it I hopefully wont have to wait for showing off splitscreen-ness.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I did the manual update, enabled multiple windows and the prompt is on the side with no split screen. Probably should have waited.

Either you have it disabled in settings or not enabled here.....

udajytu6.jpg

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I reread your post again and 90% of my gut tells me if you have to ask then it's not for you. You give me the impression you love the latest and greatest but you still use a BlackBerry and too terrified to take the phone out the box and use it.

Everything we all have to say cannot be the determining factor of a particular phone being for you. Honestly, the only way you're going to know that is to take it use it instead of sitting there looking at it.
You have (with most carriers) 14 days from TIME OF PURCHASE; not time of *activation*. So use it and decide for yourself if it's for you then let's us know what you end up doing with it after you've tried it out.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Everything I have seen and heard the phone tells me I will love it but I bought it Sim Free so I cant return it once opened. Since Sim Free it is rather pricey at ?510 I just wanted to get a better impression of how people find the phone after having used it for a little while before I made my decision.

Ive read reviews from all the credible sites and it sounds great for me but most reviewers are only testing the phone for a day or two before giving their verdict and moving to the next handset they need to review so I really do value the opinions of real users.

Based on what I have heard so far I think I am going to use it but will give myself one more day to make sure so please keep the opinions coming.

wyndslash

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with scandalex. The only way you're going to know is to use it for yourself.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you want no BS real review by people who've used this phone extensively and it's their daily driver go to YouTube and check out Flossy Carter (he keeps it 100 all the time on every phone he reviews). Also check out wwjoshdew (he's a true nerd and doesn't BS). Also check out HeelsAndTech (her reviews are also in depth. Most people think she walks on water).

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If you want no BS real review by people who've used this phone extensively and it's their daily driver go to YouTube and check out Flossy Carter (he keeps it 100 all the time on every phone he reviews). Also check out wwjoshdew (he's a true nerd and doesn't BS). Also check out HeelsAndTech (her reviews are also in depth. Most people think she walks on water).

Agree about heelsandtech she's good ill check the other two out

Sent from my PC36100

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi, You mentioned you use a BB now, when I used them and my daughters we all used two hands on the physical keyboard if so two hands shouldn't be a issue. The split screen will come if not there, seems everyone needs it 'yesterday' you seem patient enough already so a week or two for that features push isn't a big deal. As far as shifting the keyboard for 1 hand it's on the phone dialer, it'll shift left or right about 2/3 screen to make dialing easier with 1 hand.
Lastly, go back to the store, get your hands on it and play for 10 mins or more (I used it for30 mins, with people waiting) ... just to double check and it's fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki