Upgrading through Bestbuy, requiring me to choose "Mobile Shared Data", what is that?

Thingsgoboom

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm trying to upgrade through bestbuy, but before I can finish the process, it makes me choose a data plan.
I choose "Keep my existing data plan" (Unlimited Data Plan), but then it also makes me choose a "Mobile Shared Data" plan.
I was wondering what is "Mobile Shared Data" plan?
Well I know what it means, but I do not have that plan on my existing plan so why is it making me choose one?

Or do I just choose the most cheapest plan and have to call my carrier (ATT) to cancel it?
I want to upgrade through bestbuy because they are having a reward points promotion.

Thank you in advance.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm trying to upgrade through bestbuy, but before I can finish the process, it makes me choose a data plan.
I choose "Keep my existing data plan" (Unlimited Data Plan), but then it also makes me choose a "Mobile Shared Data" plan.
Well I know what it means, but I do not have that plan on my existing plan so why is it making me choose one?

Or do I just choose the most cheapest plan and have to call my carrier (ATT) to cancel it?
I want to upgrade through bestbuy because they are having a reward points promotion.

Thank you in advance.

I'm on Verizon but I believe the rules are similar.
If you upgrade (buy the phone at the subsidized price) you lose unlimited data and have to move to one of the new shared data plans.
If you pay full retail you are able to keep your unlimited data.
There are work-arounds on VZW but I'm not sure if they apply to AT&T.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
R
Hi guys,

Thank you in advance.

Do not loose your unlimited data plan,,, that's a bad thing,,,, ATT and Verizon stopped offering unlimited data plans so you have a special plan that no longer exists and many people want.

The shared data plans that ATT and Verizon offer are BS,,, they will try and spin the shared data plan like its a great deal,,,, it is NOT.

Cheers
Davyo

Thingsgoboom

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I plan on going in store to ask them about that.
I plan on keeping my unlimited data, but I do not think that I will pay full retail.
So will they still upgrade if I forcefully tell them to not put me on a mobile shared data? or will do those employees not have the power to keep me on the unlimited plan?

Thank you

surebuttercringe

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
They do not have the authority (or know how) to override to keep you on the unlimited plan. If you want a subsidized phone, you're going to have to switch to a shared data plan. All the carriers are eventually going to go to this, so might as well get used to it.

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Did AT&T change its policy on upgrades recently? I thought they still honored unlimited plans when upgrading?

Thingsgoboom

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, went to a Bestbuy store and they were able to upgrade and keep me on my unlimited plan with no problem.

If you are grandfathered.... you are able to keep it no matter what.
If the associates can't do it, then they will call ATT for you and say that the customer is requesting to keep the unlimited plan.

TheDroidLurker

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
ATT is still letting people keep their unlimited plan as long as it isn't a new line activation. VZW, on the other hand isn't...... *grumble, grumble*

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
They do not have the authority (or know how) to override to keep you on the unlimited plan. If you want a subsidized phone, you're going to have to switch to a shared data plan. All the carriers are eventually going to go to this, so might as well get used to it.

Lol I love when people that don't got unlimited data say its dying lol NAW ITS DEAD FOR ATT AND VERIZON lol. Sprint isn't ditching it and T-Mobile JUST BRUNG IT BACK bottom line is OP if u want unlimited data and subsidized phones its either T-Mobile or Sprint. Or pay full retail and stay with att and keep unlimited

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084