First post: can't find answer to memory issues

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys and gals. Forever apple fan boy finally making the switch to android as my iPhone 5 does nothing for me. I'm bored and its stale. So, anticipating the note 2 on Verizon. My big concern coming from a 64gb iPhone is the 16gb capacity if the note. I understand I can throw in a 64gb sd card but I am trying to find answers about what I can put on the card. I only have 4-5 gigs of music but tend to have a lot of apps, most of which I don't end up using. With all the bloatware, and the 8-9 gigs used when we get the phone, will be having a slow phone? Can we run apps from the sd card? Can I put all my music and movies on the card?

Appreciate the feedback from a soon to be new, yet nervous android guy.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys and gals. Forever apple fan boy finally making the switch to android as my iPhone 5 does nothing for me. I'm bored and its stale. So, anticipating the note 2 on Verizon. My big concern coming from a 64gb iPhone is the 16gb capacity if the note. I understand I can throw in a 64gb sd card but I am trying to find answers about what I can put on the card. I only have 4-5 gigs of music but tend to have a lot of apps, most of which I don't end up using. With all the bloatware, and the 8-9 gigs used when we get the phone, will be having a slow phone? Can we run apps from the sd card? Can I put all my music and movies on the card?

Appreciate the feedback from a soon to be new, yet nervous android guy.

From Ice Cream Sandwhich on, Android did away with running apps on the SD card. While some people get nervous that 16GB won't be enough, I really find it hard to contemplate. Literally you can have multiple hundreds of apps in that amount of space without even getting close to being at capacity. What you can store on the SD card is data, such as images and videos that you take with the camera, music, movies you might want to load onto it, etc. You can have up to a 64GB card, and that's definitely a lot of space. What you can also do if you are really concerned about space for apps (which you shouldn't be) is get a program like App Backup and Restore that lets you back up apps to your SD card. Then you could, for example, uninstall your least used apps, but have them almost immediately accessible on your SD card - you can re-install them very quickly without having to go back to the Google Play store, find them, and take the data bandwidth to get them back on your phone. Hope this helps!

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for clarifying that for me. Very much appreciated!

To confirm, I don't have too root the phone to store music video and pictures on card, correct?

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct. When you first put the card in, it will actually ask you if you want to start storing photos on the card instead of in main memory. As far as music and video, it's dependent on what apps you use and whether they support storage on the SD card, some do and some don't, you'll just need to read app descriptions and reviews...