Handwriting Pad no longer coming up

cramis1

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
All of a sudden the handwriting pad no longer comes up when the s-pen is detached. I have the option checked in settings menu that 'Display handwriting pad when pen is detached'. As well the phone detects and notifies that the pen has been detached, it just does not bring up the handwriting pad and there is no symbol to do so on the left of the spacebar. I tried restarting the phone.
Does anyone have an idea about how to fix this, it was working last night and I deleted all apps I downloaded since then.

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The button encircled might be displaying a mic or a settings icon. Long press and you'll see more options. Choose the one with the letter T and the pen. Hope that solves your problem. :)

Oh and sorry attached image is recycled. Hehe.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353129405741.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353129405741.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 257

cramis1

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply! But that symbol is not there, its as if the pen is not detached even though it is

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Jrockttu

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you use a custom launcher like Nova or Apex? Using Nova makes it so that the Suggested apps don't show up in my notification bar when the pen is detached, so I don't know if it would do the same to your handwriting pad in the keyboard.

imdebbas

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem. The option is just missing. I have the voice option, clipboard, and setting cog, but no handwriting toggle.

BakedGoodsX

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue. The phone detects the pen fine (suggested apps appear, etc.) but the handwriting pad does not come up, nor is it an option when click+holding the Mic button. It worked for the first 24 hours just fine.

I've rebooted the device, reset Samsung keyboard settings, and am not using a different launcher. Anyone willing to factory reset their phone to see if that fixes this?

Last edited:

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you certain the Samsung keyboard is marked as your default keyboard? I have no issues. I'm on sprint's n2.
uploadfromtaptalk1355252300148.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

BakedGoodsX

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my default keyboard was the Samsung keyboard (I had no others installed).

I eventually tried a custom rom, did a factory reset, the handwriting pad is back. Not sure whether it was the factory reset that did it, or installing a new rom (which most def. would have), either way it's working again and hasn't quit!

Must be a strange bug.

MarkJaey

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Look for an icon, in the lower left corner of the keyboard, with several dots in the right corner. Those dots indicate additional "PRESS/HOLD" functionality for that key. Press and hold the key for a few seconds and you'll see the other options for input, including the keyboard option if something other than the QWERTY keyboard is displayed.

PAAdam

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The most common reason is that you changed the Input Language (probably from English UK to English US). Change back to English UK. Hopefully Samsung will fix it soon.

Alawishis

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Damn, I have the same problem, but yes, switching to the Eng (UK) solves the problem! How weird...

Same for me changing the language to UK fixed it. I noticed that when I downloaded the US language it then worked under that language also. Now the problem I have is when I launch the pen input it crashes right away, but that's another problem.

Killzee1

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
When this happens to me i normally just go to the button, where sometimes shows the mic draw, and usually show the smiling face, and change( pressing and holding for a few seconds) to the simbol of a T with an S pen. I feel like that wasn't a good explanation, but I hope it helped.