Tips and Tricks to preserve your battery and phone

MKita

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I will be the first to admit I do not take the best care of my old phones. My DroidX started acting up quick so that got mistreated but my GNex was treated pretty good and my Nexus7 is treated like a child :p.

Just looking for some tips and tricks on how to keep my phone in the absolute best shape. I am already ordering a case and screen protector for my NoteII (vzw customer so still time). I play on getting a car dock so I don't have it sliding around the car when using it for music.

Any tips for preserving the battery? Not charge over night? Don't over charge? etc...

Also any tips to cleaning the screen?

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
As far as preserving the battery...

I never charge over night. I've had smart phones since the blackberry came with a track wheel! My best advice is to charge before you sleep. What I do is find out the typical charge time and plug it in accordingly before sleeping. Then I just close all apps, clear the ram and cache, then set it by my bed. Typically I wake up with the phone at 96%.. Also I'm averaging 1 day, 18 hours with medium/heavy usage. So dont fret!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

I never charge over night. I've had smart phones since the blackberry came with a track wheel! My best advice is to charge before you sleep. What I do is find out the typical charge time and plug it in accordingly before sleeping. Then I just close all apps, clear the ram and cache, then set it by my bed. Typically I wake up with the phone at 96%.. Also I'm averaging 1 day, 18 hours with medium/heavy usage. So dont fret!

+1... That's pretty much what I do.... the battery on this thing is crazy....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

MKita

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm will probably get it fully charged and just turn it off while I sleep some nights. Have a different alarm so don't need it up all night.

Any advice on wiping finger prints off and any potential oils?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Microfiber cloth in your other pocket... I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on here who likes the invisishield hd, but it's easy to keep clean

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I did a in-depth "best charging practices" video

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Tips & Tricks (Episode 4: Get Better Battery Life, Best Charging Practices) - YouTube

basically get an external charging case and a spare battery. This set (also had an adapter) and was available from samsung's website for $25 (with 50% off coupon). Not sure if it still available.

Do a deep cycle charge as often as possible, and the case makes it convenient to do.

Also to add to this video, I've been pondering that with this high capacity device, 15% is not the same as 15% on a 1650mAh battery. I've been going all the way down to 5% for deep cycle charges.

rajeev_k

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You can use power saving power saving mode in android 4.0 version and more but the problem is many display related features will be disabled but it really saves your battery very much.
I am using galaxy note 2 and it has 3100 MAH high power battery and I don't think I have any need to save battery with this kind of powerful battery.

jayp1306

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
There is no reason to get a charging case and or spare battery for this phone. Just run it to about 5% and charge.

LuvHorses

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Reasoning for not charging overnight? I have always done this with my phones.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Everything I've read indicates that frequent deep discharges shorten the life of your battery and charging overnight has no effect on battery life. The problem with deep discharge is that it takes longer to recharge the battery which means it's running at a high temperature for a longer period. This heating will cause the battery to degrade faster. Pretty much all smartphones these days have circuitry to disable charging after it hits 100%, which is why overnight charging or leaving your phone on a charger will have zero effect on battery life. If you want to make your battery last longer, it is better to charge when you hit 50% than charge from under 20%. They do recommend a deep discharge once a month to recalibrate the battery gauge. But batteries are cheap nowadays, and since the NFC antenna is in the back cover and not the battery, you can pretty much get any aftermarket battery for the Note 2 without losing functionality. It's replaceable -- don't worry too much about it and use it the way it fits your lifestyle. Some people by necessity go down to 5% before they can get to a charger. One thing about the Note 2 battery life is that you no longer have to bend your daily workflow to accommodate the battery. Enjoy it.

Because the battery is so big, I don't feel like I have to do anything to prolong life. The only thing I did out of habit was to bring down brightness to 30%. It just dawned on me that's not necessary, since in the month I've owned it, I've never gone under 20% and have never heard the low battery warning. I'm going to crank up the screen brightness to 50% and see how that impacts overall performance. I have a feeling it will still last a full day and then some.