Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Movies go internally only!

So, folks often try to quell concerns about just 16 gigabytes of internal memory by saying " but you can put movies and music on the external 64gigabyte SD card ".

Well, I bought a couple of HD movies through Google play and they only go into internal memory. Yikes!

I used Android file transfer to move them to the external sd card, but then I was unable to play them, so I had to move them back. Ugh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Movies go internally only!

I play movies from my sd card pretty often without issues

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

You cant put media purchased from the marketplace on an SD card. It has to do with DRM rules and what not I believe
    Thanked by:
    ipaulr 

So if I buy movies or TV shows from google play, I can't move and play them from SD card?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That does seem to be the case! Ugh!

ROM
    Stock Root

Most SD cards have a file limit of 4 GBs. Most HD movies are 4 + GBs. Dark Knight rises is 5 GBs and will only store on phone storage.
    Cingular Samsung SGH-D357>AT&T Samsung BlackJack II>AT&T Samsung Impression>AT&T Samsung Jack>AT&T iPhone 3G>AT&T iPhone 4>Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch>Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE> AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II> AT&T HTC One

Format your SD card as exfat and you won't have the 4gb limit. This doesn't work on Mac, however.

Quote Originally Posted by zjaksn10 View Post
    Most SD cards have a file limit of 4 GBs. Most HD movies are 4 + GBs. Dark Knight rises is 5 GBs and will only store on phone storage.
    I believe he meant 64gb microSD

ROM
    Stock Root

Quote Originally Posted by LuvHorses View Post
    I believe he meant 64gb microSD
    I have a 64 GB card and get error messages when trying to transfer HD movies to SD card.
    Cingular Samsung SGH-D357>AT&T Samsung BlackJack II>AT&T Samsung Impression>AT&T Samsung Jack>AT&T iPhone 3G>AT&T iPhone 4>Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch>Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE> AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II> AT&T HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by zjaksn10 View Post
    I have a 64 GB card and get error messages when trying to transfer HD movies to SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    Format your SD card as exfat and you won't have the 4gb limit. This doesn't work on Mac, however.

Do what Cobra said. If you have a PC, format the SD card to exFAT and you'll be in good shape to transfer stuff over 4GB in size.

Global Posts
    4,566 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah stuff bought from Google Play has DRM protection. If you were able to move it to your SD Card, you could also move it to someone elses SD card...... so...that's why.

Not sure what this whole industry is thinking. On one hand they say "put it in the cloud and listen and watch it anytime you want"....provided you have a great signal, LTE, and an unlimited plan. Then they allow you to save movies to your internal memory only but take forever to come out with a version of the phone that has more than 16 GB. It's crazy, you try to do what they ask you to do, but you get your hands tied trying to do it. I suppose a 64 GB Note 2 on Sprint with you living in an LTE area or always close to Wifi is the perfect solution? Of course, Sprints LTE has limited availability and the 64 GB version is only available in Korea..... These guys in charge of what products will be carried need to get their head out of their **** and get with the program. At least we have the choice still to use a micro sd card, unlike other people opting for phones like the One X and the new HTC Droid DNA, or the Nexus 4. 16 GB only and no SD card slot? Put it into the cloud, yells Verizon...but careful now with the data cap...or, if you're on their new sharing plan.....be sure to opt for as much data as possible.

Crazy crazy.
    Thanked by:
    ipaulr 
    Markster1 and ipaulr like this.

That's very disappointing. As I thought movies were not DRM. Or at least allow one to buy DRM version like ITunes does for music

So if you buy an actual DVD that comes with a digital copy, I assume that digital copy could be put on the external SD card and be usable that way? Or from other (non-Google Play) digital download sites?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Nope. I've tried that. pocket BLU puts them internal. You can move them but then they won't play.

Only way is to rip the yourself.

That is a silly restriction. Google really doesn't want us to have these external card slots. I'm sure it works fine with Google Drive I imagine.

Can I move a google play movie to google drive?

Just wanted to throw it out there that rented movies stay on the cloud and work just fine. I rented a movie, played it on my phone, then later plugged my tablet into my TV and streamed it to my TV through my tablet and it worked fine. I'm guessing this thread is about a full purchase of a movie, but I wanted to throw this out there for those who may be just renting movies.

would we be able to use our digital copies that are already on itunes on our computers and throw them on the sd card? I'm new to android (dont even have the note 2 yet so pardon my ignorance).

Global Posts
    4,566 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    would we be able to use our digital copies that are already on itunes on our computers and throw them on the sd card? I'm new to android (dont even have the note 2 yet so pardon my ignorance).
    Nope. Movies bought from iTunes at least won't work and neither will digital copies that you redeem after buying a Blu Ray of the movie. They all land up in the DRM m4v format, and to remove the DRM you have to buy some DRM removal program which ranges from 35 to 50 bucks. If you google it you will find the most commonly used ones. I am not sure about the legality of you using those programs. The people selling them either say nothing about it, or they claim it's legal. I for one am not going to spend that money just to put a movie on my phone. I find it outrageous that most digital copies only are redeemable through iTunes, and then the maker of the Blu Ray has the nerve of writing on the back of the packaging that you can enjoy this movie on tablets and smartphones...too bad those tablets and smartphones are of the fruit variety and require to have the picture of a bitten Apple in the back. I haven't bought a Blu Ray with a Windows Media Player digital copy lately, so I don't know if those would work or not. The few that I have with a WMP copy have expired. That's ridiculous too, why do those stupid digital copies expire? What if you buy Lord of the Rings today, can you still use the digital copy? Nope, once the date has passed, the show is over.

Ah well, just sticking to what ever Netflix lets me stream I guess.

Well lets be honest. Apple is the more and alway has been the more marketable and reputible company hence the digital copies etc. every store you go to with a specific app for the store shows an iPhone and then available on android too. It is what it is.

I don't think I would watch a movie on my note 2 anyways. I've never watched one the iPhone but only do when traveling via iPad. But I can certainly see the appeal with the big screen.
    goofysam likes this.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by ipaulr View Post
    So, folks often try to quell concerns about just 16 gigabytes of internal memory by saying " but you can put movies and music on the external 64gigabyte SD card ".

Well, I bought a couple of HD movies through Google play and they only go into internal memory. Yikes!

I used Android file transfer to move them to the external sd card, but then I was unable to play them, so I had to move them back. Ugh!

That doesn't surprise me. That has been my experience since my phones have had ICS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by KahneFan View Post
    Just wanted to throw it out there that rented movies stay on the cloud and work just fine. I rented a movie, played it on my phone, then later plugged my tablet into my TV and streamed it to my TV through my tablet and it worked fine. I'm guessing this thread is about a full purchase of a movie, but I wanted to throw this out there for those who may be just renting movies.
    They play great too if you have a good signal. You purchase the movies and tv shows in the play store and play them without downloading them to your device. That is how I do it on my N7.

OK, so let me get this straight, If I buy a Note2, install a 64gb card, I still can't really put anything on it other than music files and that's only if there is no DRM restrictions on it? That's BS. Absolute and utter BS.

So, let me ask this hypothetical question. If I were to obtain movies or TV shows by an alternative method, would I be able to install and play them from an SD card then? There wouldn't be any DRM on them.

I don't have one yet and I've only been playing with my wife and sons tablets to get an idea of how to work and function with Android so please bare with me on these otherwise stupid questions. I really don't want to switch over to a whole new OS and "ecosystem" just to find out I can't do something that really shouldn't be an issue. I was surprised to find in my research how they changed how you install apps and can no longer install to the SD card without major work-arounds. This is just another surprise to me.

Thanks

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcd348 View Post
    OK, so let me get this straight, If I buy a Note2, install a 64gb card, I still can't really put anything on it other than music files and that's only if there is no DRM restrictions on it? That's BS. Absolute and utter BS.

So, let me ask this hypothetical question. If I were to obtain movies or TV shows by an alternative method, would I be able to install and play them from an SD card then? There wouldn't be any DRM on them.

I don't have one yet and I've only been playing with my wife and sons tablets to get an idea of how to work and function with Android so please bare with me on these otherwise stupid questions. I really don't want to switch over to a whole new OS and "ecosystem" just to find out I can't do something that really shouldn't be an issue. I was surprised to find in my research how they changed how you install apps and can no longer install to the SD card without major work-arounds. This is just another surprise to me.

Thanks
    You should be able too.

You are correct, the sd card slot is mostly useless for anything other than music and pictures. Unless you choose to root it.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Never thought I'd wanna watch a movie on a smartphone. I was certainly never tempted by any of my IO S devices. Not even the iPhone 5.

But this note 2 is different. Hi def 720 P fits perfectly on this screen and looks really good. I'm lovin it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast