The official "Biggest Surprises" thread

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not for me when I first got a phone with this feature I was watching a video at work and my boss walked in so I hit the button to shut it but instead it locked and in a panic I couldn't figure out how to stop it. Lol that sucked

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

i see what your saying what stupid feature. duh how about a double tap or the home button. not the power button!!!

Metro2033

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The Good
1. Battery life amazes me! Freak?n awesome.
2. The LED light top left flashes green when I receive a notification or txt message.
3. The ability to swipe hand over motion sensor when phone is asleep to see a quick preview of missed emails, texts and phone calls.
4. I am with ATT so I knew the multi-tasking window did not work but was pleasantly surprised to find that using the native video player I can pop out a video and continue working with it playing on top.
5. Slide hand across screen to capture screen.
6. Size is not that big of a deal.
7. How well the handwriting recognition works.
8. Google voice works great for me, especially for sending text messages.

Negatives
1. ATT disabling multi-window.
2. Not being able to move documents to SD card!! That bites boogers.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Good surprises:

1. That I loved Touchwiz on the Note 2. That was the biggest surprise for me!
2. How well handwriting recognition worked even in cursive. I'm a doctor. My handwriting is far from pretty. :p
3. I agree with how all other phones are suddenly tiny
4. It's sturdy. Dropped my phone from a height of 4 feet, fell flat on the screen. No cracks or scratches.

Not so good:

Beaming is not as easy as it looks. Hahaha. Not really difficult either but the videos and commercials make it seem so simple!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
Ouch do you have a case on it?

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I was absolutely gobsmacked by the battery life. I still can't believe it sometimes.

No negative surprises here. The worst part of the phone is the lack of Sprint LTE, but I knew that going in.
Same here the battery life is insane. I unplugged my phone yesterday at 5:30 am and I still have 13% battery left!!!!

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Good
1. Battery life amazes me! Freak?n awesome.
2. The LED light top left flashes green when I receive a notification or txt message.
3. The ability to swipe hand over motion sensor when phone is asleep to see a quick preview of missed emails, texts and phone calls.
4. I am with ATT so I knew the multi-tasking window did not work but was pleasantly surprised to find that using the native video player I can pop out a video and continue working with it playing on top.
5. Slide hand across screen to capture screen.
6. Size is not that big of a deal.
7. How well the handwriting recognition works.
8. Google voice works great for me, especially for sending text messages.

Negatives
1. ATT disabling multi-window.
2. Not being able to move documents to SD card!! That bites boogers.

I hear multi window is coming soon to ATT

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I can pinch the keyboard in to activate one handed operation..wow

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

Doesnt seem to work for me. Hmmm. Are you just piching on the full size samsung keyboard? Does the one handed setting need to be enabled? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ouch do you have a case on it?

Just the samsung flipcover which looked good but offered no protection at all and it fell flat with the flipcover open too. :eek:

Seriously thought my phone was done with so what a nice surprise that it survived with nary a scratch.:D

That being said, the 20secs from the drop to the time I picked my phone up = moments I never want to re-experience ever.

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesnt seem to work for me. Hmmm. Are you just piching on the full size samsung keyboard? Does the one handed setting need to be enabled? Thanks

i have one handed operation selected yes, and its only Samsung stock keyboard. it definitely doesn't work smooth but it works every now and then.

alikoyyy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by curney<br />
Doesnt seem to work for me. Hmmm. Are you just piching on the full size samsung keyboard? Does the one handed setting need to be enabled? Thanks<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
i have one handed operation selected yes, and its only Samsung stock keyboard. it definitely doesn't work smooth but it works every now and then.

Thanks! Works for me. I didn't know this before today! I'm on the International GN II. Thanks! I like typing on the full sized keyboard when I'm using two hands. :)

aaronbuescher

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Att version works fine for me. Try using both thumbs at center of keyboard and go out to make keyboard big. Vice versa to make small

Sent from my White Galaxy Note II

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found a bad surprise today. The phone will only let me send a mass text message to 10 people at a time. With my Evo 4G I could send out a mass text to as many people as I wanted. Any way around this? I am looking for a setting that won't restrict a mass text to 10 people? Is this a limitation that was imposed by Samsung, Google, or ATT? Who is to blame?!?! :-\ Thanks

Last edited:

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i like being able to just say cheese to take a picture. easier to keep the phone steady, i've found it irritating to tap a button on a screen to take pics since i left phones with a dedicated physical camera button

also love being able to capture a picture from a video....nice.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Biggest good surprise: How easy it is to hold to your ear and use as a phone; I read so many people saying it was just too big and impossible to use like that. While those who said it was too big to hold and pocket were shot down by others telling them it was not, there was very little defense on the phone usage aspect of it.

Biggest bad surprise: How slippery it is! My case will be here tomorrow and should give me a good grip.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Biggest good surprise: How easy it is to hold to your ear and use as a phone; I read so many people saying it was just too big and impossible to use like that. While those who said it was too big to hold and pocket were shot down by others telling them it was not, there was very little defense on the phone usage aspect of it.

Biggest bad surprise: How slippery it is! My case will be here tomorrow and should give me a good grip.
super slippery!!!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I am suprised by the amount of differences between the s3 and note 2. I honestly thought it was really the screen and s-pen but there are a variety of settings that the s3 doesnt have. Also im supried by the battery life over the s3 as well as its plain performance. I felt the s3 was a darn good, speedy phone but the note 2 seems to be able to outperform it.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Not really a surprise, but a welcomed addition over the original Note. I can now easily sync notes taken on the Note 2 with the Note 10.1 and vice versa.

Using the original Note I was unable to do this. I think it was primarily because Samsung did not include S-Note on the original Note, but rather used a pseudo app called S-Memo. However, on the Note 2 they included S-Note so I can start writing an idea on the tablet, add to my writing on the phone, and finish up where I left off on the tablet. It comes in handy when I take notes in a meeting with the tablet, go to lunch with a colleague and continue discussing a project with my phone, and then get back to my office and finish up my thoughts on the tablet.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found a bad surprise today. The phone will only let me send a mass text message to 10 people at a time. With my Evo 4G I could send out a mass text to as many people as I wanted. Any way around this? I am looking for a setting that won't restrict a mass text to 10 people? Is this a limitation that was imposed by Samsung, Google, or ATT? Who is to blame?!?! :-\ Thanks
Anyone?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

If I had to guess I would say that was a unique feature of HTC Sense. Samsung probably does not include it for fear of violating a patent or something.

I don't know of any 3rd party launchers that might duplicate that feature, but I'll check around and see if I can help or at least confirm definitely if it's unique to HTC.

I have an old EVO 4G. I may fire it up tonight to see how exactly it worked on that device to refresh my memory.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze