Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Default Re: What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    You mean these icons? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....Iphone5Screen
    The ones that are available on the Google play store by the boat load? I skinned my daughters SGS2 to look just like an iphone. The best part is even though it looks the same as an iphone it still does way more.
    Yes, I like that deep clear transparent icon look. Thanks. Only thing missing is the page flip animation - like when one page folds away from the other.

What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2? Run iPhone apps that don't have Android counterparts.
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by universeand View Post
    Yes, I like that deep clear transparent icon look. Thanks. Only thing missing is the page flip animation - like when one page folds away from the other.
    Install Nova launcher and you can choose from many transitions. You essentially can duplicate anything the iPhone does.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2? Run iPhone apps that don't have Android counterparts.
    The only one that I keep seeing is the one the kids are all using for making videos on their iphones. They can do great videos and add music, effects etc. I haven't seen anything like it on Android yet.

Android Evangelist
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.

After using my Note 2 for about a month now I can say there's only one thing the iPhone does better. That one thing is music. After moving to digital I never thought I'd have issues with audio skipping in my music player. It feels like I have an old CD player that skips when you hit a bump. That just isn't fun.

Music: iPhone > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Everything Else: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 > iPhone
    TomsAndroid likes this.

The only one that I keep seeing is the one the kids are all using for making videos on their iphones. They can do great videos and add music, effects etc. I haven't seen anything like it on Android yet.

And my favourite, Garageband.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
    After using my Note 2 for about a month now I can say there's only one thing the iPhone does better. That one thing is music. After moving to digital I never thought I'd have issues with audio skipping in my music player. It feels like I have an old CD player that skips when you hit a bump. That just isn't fun.

Audio skipping??? i have never had this happen, what player are you using?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by TomsAndroid View Post
    And my favourite, Garageband.

Ya but on your phone? Too much work.

Android Evangelist

Ya but on your phone? Too much work.

Oh sorry, good point. I'd only use it on my tablet.

Thanked by:

Camera is better with iphone 5 at point and shoot, My wife had my iphone 5 and I now have a note 2.

We always use the iphone to take photo instead of the note 2

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Audio skipping??? i have never had this happen, what player are you using?
    Happened with both the stock music player and Winamp. Currently getting recommendations in another thread on other players that help circumvent this issue. PowerAmp for example I've now seen has options to help prevent this issue specifically by mentioning that the options help prevent skipping.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Happened with both the stock music player and Winamp. Currently getting recommendations in another thread on other players that help circumvent this issue. PowerAmp for example I've now seen has options to help prevent this issue specifically by mentioning that the options help prevent skipping.
    Power amp is what i use

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I think you have an isolated problem. Solid state electronics don't skip. You may have loose connections.

Android Evangelist
    TomsAndroid likes this.

I think you have an isolated problem. Solid state electronics don't skip. You may have loose connections.

Not at all, do a quick Google, it's not an isolated issue. Funny enough, the first result is from this very forum. Also, if it was an isolated issue PowerAmp wouldn't have built in settings to help prevent this issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+audio+skip

It's all to do with the CPU. If the CPU is only allowed to run at 200 MHz of course it's going to struggle playing audio that is of half decent quality because it won't have enough processing power to load the data.

Modern electronics shouldn't skip and that's why this issue is so ridiculous. Unless you root your device to install setCPU, you can't change the minimum MHz for the CPU. It's absurd one would have to root the device just to get proper audio playback.

My last chance is tomorrow. I've had both PowerAmp and Player Pro skip today so in PowerAmp I enabled both audio skip settings. I'll spend all day tomorrow with these settings enabled, but my impressions of Android have gone from absolutely perfect and the best OS to below satisfactory.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Not at all, do a quick Google, it's not an isolated issue. Funny enough, the first result is from this very forum. Also, if it was an isolated issue PowerAmp wouldn't have built in settings to help prevent this issue.

It's all to do with the CPU. If the CPU is only allowed to run at 200 MHz of course it's going to struggle playing audio that is of half decent quality because it won't have enough processing power to load the data.

Modern electronics shouldn't skip and that's why this issue is so ridiculous. Unless you root your device to install setCPU, you can't change the minimum MHz for the CPU. It's absurd one would have to root the device just to get proper audio playback.

My last chance is tomorrow. I've had both PowerAmp and Player Pro skip today so in PowerAmp I enabled both audio skip settings. I'll spend all day tomorrow with these settings enabled, but my impressions of Android have gone from absolutely perfect and the best OS to below satisfactory.
    What i dont understand is how most of us do not have this problem. I have been been through my Droid X>fascinate>gnex>N2 and have not hit this problem once. Is it the format of music you are trying to play? something else has to be involved.
    Thanked by 2:
    Darth Spock and TomsAndroid like this.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

What i dont understand is how most of us do not have this problem. I have been been through my Droid X>fascinate>gnex>N2 and have not hit this problem once. Is it the format of music you are trying to play? something else has to be involved.
    Same here... g1-hero-optimus s-evo shift-photon-nexus s-note 2 with some others thrown in, never once encountered skipping music...

Are you rooted? If so, what kernel/rom you use?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock and TomsAndroid like this.

I'm not rooted, I'm stock 4.1.2. If I was rooted I would immediately use the setCPU application to stop the CPU from clocking all the way down to 200 MHz. While I know it's easy, I don't want to root my device as I prefer things stock.

I play MP3's with 320 kbps or at minimum 192 kbps. Nothing unusual, although the quality is high. Lower kbps would obviously work better, but there's no reason at all why 320 kbps should struggle. It's just the fact that the CPU clocks down even without power saving turned on. It doesn't happen if you have your screen on, but in sleep mode it clocks down and I'm assuming when another process triggers, it starts to chock.

I have applications running such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. in the background to provide notifications. While I can't verify this at all, my thinking is that while the music plays fine while clocked down, when an application or two start looking for notifications plus the music playing, it causes the skips. It plays fine for the most part, it's just the odd skip which is why I'm lead to believe it happens at a time where too many processes are asking for the CPU and the CPU can't handle it when it's clocked down.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

I'm not rooted, I'm stock 4.1.2. If I was rooted I would immediately use the setCPU application to stop the CPU from clocking all the way down to 200 MHz. While I know it's easy, I don't want to root my device as I prefer things stock.

I play MP3's with 320 kbps or at minimum 192 kbps. Nothing unusual, although the quality is high. Lower kbps would obviously work better, but there's no reason at all why 320 kbps should struggle. It's just the fact that the CPU clocks down even without power saving turned on. It doesn't happen if you have your screen on, but in sleep mode it clocks down and I'm assuming when another process triggers, it starts to chock.

I have applications running such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. in the background to provide notifications. While I can't verify this at all, my thinking is that while the music plays fine while clocked down, when an application or two start looking for notifications plus the music playing, it causes the skips. It plays fine for the most part, it's just the odd skip which is why I'm lead to believe it happens at a time where too many processes are asking for the CPU and the CPU can't handle it when it's clocked down.
    ill keep trying to replicate this

Use power amp. No skipping tons of controls. And get over yourself.

Yes please do. If you spend enough time trying to find something the iPhone does better you might come up with something reasonable like draw ed people in.

Global Posts
    7,262 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The new iPhone 5 is WAY better at running iTunes than any Android device. But.. iTunes sucks and so Android still wins.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I hate to pop your bubble but if you Google the same thing for the iPhone it lights up search results just as bad. So ya....

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

So let me get this right. Your listening to music for an hour and then wammo! Out of nowhere your music skips for half a second and it blows your mind as to how technology could be so flawed? Lol. First world problems my friend. :banghead:

Android Evangelist
    Darth Spock likes this.

@badbrad17: Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Guess what, no device is perfect. Every single thing has flaws. If you want to act like the Note II has no flaws, then by all means, go ahead. Just don't act like a stuck up snob. Seems like you have some first world problems if you have to defend every little flaw so that your device seems perfect.

@jrog28: Seems like you need to get over yourself and read the entire discussion. If you would have, you would have noticed I do have PowerAmp. Apparently reading is overrated.

I hope you both realize this is a thread about what another device does better than the Note 2. If it hurts your ego that the Note II isn't perfect, then you might not want to read this thread. You may not recover.

If you're trying to replicate, note that it only happens when the device is idle. I've yet to see it happen when I'm actively using the device.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Global Posts
    7,262 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I believe that it is not accurate to imply that anything requiring root, etc. is not a relevant fix. The totality of the device includes the ease of use and accessibility of customizations, even those that are made purely to overcome shortcomings of the out of the box state of the device. While of course there are relevant YMMV issues, by and large the enormity of the android development community and the baked-in intentional ease of gaining root and boot-loader access in order to facilitate a more optimal user experience over a dynamic population results in general in greater satisfaction of any one person that is willing to take ownership of their own interactions with their own technology. The iPhone is made to attempt to withstand attempts at securing individuality, both in technological practice and in approach to marketing, etc. Indeed, the entire Apple paradigm is determining how to bend people in massive quantities to their singular devices, while the Android paradigm is bending the technology to the specific user as dynamically as possible, within security, hardware and feasibility constraints. The added bonus with Android is that users are encouraged to create new solutions to potential issues they find in their personal user experience, and the tools are made readily available to empower that construct. This duality is the common distinction in many philosophical debates, though the names of the variables change, we're really talking about optimization through control or choice. Is it one solution to fit most, or many solutions to fit more? In any optimization problem, you have two choices: Solve for the aggregate mean or solve for the individual maximum results for minimum energy on each node. Android chose the latter and I agree more with that approach more so than the aggregate average benefit, because the swings away from mean are too extreme in their chosen scenario.
    Thanked by:
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415 LastLast