Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree239Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I've always said that a product that does less and is less innovative is much easier to manage. Add in the fact that you only have one company manufacturing the phone and it gets better again. But it has become clear that Apple will have a tough time trying to compete against Google, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, Asus, Huawei, ZTE etc. Plus battle Microsoft and RIM as they battle back. Google has many partners wanting them to succeed while Apple has many enemies wanting them to fail. As much as all of Google's competitors hate it, they (as Apple found out) have to support Google products. The Google Octopus is too big now.

I honestly hate Apple simply for how they operate, but I do hope they can continue to do well and keep pushing innovation. But unfortunately right now I doubt there are very few features on any Apple products that are keeping Sergei Brinn, Larry Page and Eric Schmidt up at night. 2 years ago that was not the case. In fact I think the situation is now reversed. I bet Tim Cook has many sleepless nights.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Agreed.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

The reality is that Apple is no longer the leader when it comes to innovation. And while it might be said that this phone is slightly faster or that phone is slightly smoother, those differences don't actually manifest themselves in day to day operation. I've never swiped across the screen of my Note 2 and wished it was as fast as an iPhone. Even if it isn't, the discrepancy is so minuscule that it becomes nothing more than a waste of time trying to quantify it. If there is a strength to the iPhone (and really to Apple's whole line) it's in the Apple ecosystem and its ability to gather and simplify everything around you. Your music, your movies, emails, addresses, calendars, apps... everything is with you at all times and everything has a standard hub. It made it simple for people who had never heard the term 'smartphone' to embrace the technology and get us where we are today. It's still incredibly necessary for a lot of people. BUT... Android is closing (or closed) that gap as well. Google has ran with what Apple did and, quite simply, is doing it better now.

The biggest problem with Apple (and this can applied equally to their die hard Apple fans) is that they have refused to acknowledge that there are competitors out there that are almost as good or BETTER THAN their almighty iPhone. They were so preoccupied with suing to stop everyone else from advancing that they failed to realize they were actually the only ones not moving forward. Things like the Note 2's multitask ability, it's screen-size, the S-Pen are (to different degrees) game changers. I would laugh at that Galaxy S3 commercial (where the guy in line for an iPhone 5 says, "The headphone jack's... on the bottom."). It just seemed like Apple was focused on the wrong things. They're also so determined to push their own proprietary tech (whether its power connectors, sync options, iTunes-only ringtones, or Apple Maps) that they're slowly but surely pushing people away. I also think they are so opposed to anything "Android-ish" that it's embarrassing. Why haven't they incorporated widgets yet? Widgets are one of the greatest things a smartphone can utilize. Why refuse to incorporate widgets (Even if they're just stock Apple ones that could be very Sense-like)? I have a friend who just switched from iPhone 5 to Note 2 (because of mine) and while he's been frustrated this week because of the heavy learning curve with Android, he's already in love with how customizable the Note 2 is.

Competition inspires innovation. But that's not how Apple works and that's why they're being surpassed now.
    Thanked by 4:
    cdf3, raziel, Kid1da and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffs71 View Post
    The reality is that Apple is no longer the leader when it comes to innovation. And while it might be said that this phone is slightly faster or that phone is slightly smoother, those differences don't actually manifest themselves in day to day operation. I've never swiped across the screen of my Note 2 and wished it was as fast as an iPhone. Even if it isn't, the discrepancy is so minuscule that it becomes nothing more than a waste of time trying to quantify it. If there is a strength to the iPhone (and really to Apple's whole line) it's in the Apple ecosystem and its ability to gather and simplify everything around you. Your music, your movies, emails, addresses, calendars, apps... everything is with you at all times and everything has a standard hub. It made it simple for people who had never heard the term 'smartphone' to embrace the technology and get us where we are today. It's still incredibly necessary for a lot of people. BUT... Android is closing (or closed) that gap as well. Google has ran with what Apple did and, quite simply, is doing it better now.

I completely agree that I never once thought I wish my note 2 was as fast as my iphone. Also I agree with the fact that googles system with calendars and all of that is better, because it is. But I honestly was extremely impressed with the way they integrated certain features into the os. That is definitely one thing these phone makers need to work on. Im sure I would love my note 2 wayyy better if it just had pure android on it and I could get rid of this garbage samsung touch wiz or whatever its called. Also WHEN ARE WE GETTING GOOGLE WALLET! I want that bad!

I planned on getting an iPhone 5 as my next upgrade due to how well the Apple ecosystem worked from one Apple device to another. I have an iPad, MacBook, and Apple TV. I was ready to leave Android and go all Apple until I found out if you go outside of their ecosystem, things can be a bit cumbersome. I like how iCloud keeps everything in sync, but you're limited as to what you can sync with iCloud. Therefore, I went with Dropbox. I can upload and download any type of file; no questions asked. Not so with iCloud, therefore Dropbox has been my #1 service as far as being able to access all of my files. Apple won't let you download files to the device memory, but I found a few paid apps that allowed me to get around that restriction. The biggest challenge I ran into on my iPad was being able to open a document in Dropbox, edit the file, then save it back to Dropbox in real time. On my previous Android phones, I was able to easily do that with Documents To Go. I can also do it with Polaris Office on my Note 2. I assumed that since Documents To Go for the Android version was able to update files in real time, then the iOS version of Documents To Go would be able to do the same. I was sadly mistaken. I spent well over $50 in apps, triying to find one that would fit my needs. Since there is no refund option for Apple's app store, I ended up purchasing apps that didn't work out as planned. I like how Google allows you to test the app to see if it works as promised during the refund period. If you don't like it, you can get your money back.
    I'm able to get a lot more done with my Note 2 and Dropbox. I also came across a file explorer app called X-Plore File Manager that has taken my file integration between my device and Dropbox, Picasa, and Google Docs to a new level.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Last edited by cdf3; 01-23-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Thanked by:
    cwbcpa likes this.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by cornettbr View Post
    Also WHEN ARE WE GETTING GOOGLE WALLET! I want that bad!
    I have it already?

Btw, coming from someone who has used tw, motoblur, vanilla, sense, I'm actually surprised I'm enjoying the touchwiz as much as I am...

Another thing note does better... battery removal!

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

Google wallet isnt on verizon phones or ATT i think.

The biggest problem with Apple (and this can applied equally to their die hard Apple fans) is that they have refused to acknowledge that there are competitors out there that are almost as good or BETTER THAN their almighty iPhone. They were so preoccupied with suing to stop everyone else from advancing that they failed to realize they were actually the only ones not moving forward. Things like the Note 2's multitask ability, it's screen-size, the S-Pen are (to different degrees) game changers. I would laugh at that Galaxy S3 commercial (where the guy in line for an iPhone 5 says, "The headphone jack's... on the bottom."). It just seemed like Apple was focused on the wrong things. They're also so determined to push their own proprietary tech (whether its power connectors, sync options, iTunes-only ringtones, or Apple Maps) that they're slowly but surely pushing people away. I also think they are so opposed to anything "Android-ish" that it's embarrassing. Why haven't they incorporated widgets yet? Widgets are one of the greatest things a smartphone can utilize. Why refuse to incorporate widgets (Even if they're just stock Apple ones that could be very Sense-like)? I have a friend who just switched from iPhone 5 to Note 2 (because of mine) and while he's been frustrated this week because of the heavy learning curve with Android, he's already in love with how customizable the Note 2 is.

Competition inspires innovation. But that's not how Apple works and that's why they're being surpassed now.
    Well now their suing and patent spree is really biting them in the ***, especially since they're starting to lose more of them.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I planned on getting an iPhone 5 as my next upgrade due to how well the Apple ecosystem worked from one Apple device to another. I have an iPad, MacBook, and Apple TV. I was ready to leave Android and go all Apple until I found out if you go outside of their ecosystem, things can be a bit cumbersome. I like how iCloud keeps everything in sync, but you're limited as to what you can sync with iCloud. Therefore, I went with Dropbox. I can upload and download any type of file; no questions asked. Not so with iCloud, therefore Dropbox has been my #1 service as far as being able to access all of my files. Apple won't let you download files to the device memory, but I found a few paid apps that allowed me to get around that restriction. The biggest challenge I ran into on my iPad was being able to open a document in Dropbox, edit the file, then save it back to Dropbox in real time. On my previous Android phones, I was able to easily do that with Documents To Go. I can also do it with Polaris Office on my Note 2. I assumed that since Documents To Go for the Android version was able to update files in real time, then the iOS version of Documents To Go would be able to do the same. I was sadly mistaken. I spent well over $50 in apps, triying to find one that would fit my needs. Since there is no refund option for Apple's app store, I ended up purchasing apps that didn't work out as planned. I like how Google allows you to test the app to see if it works as promised during the refund period. If you don't like it, you can get your money back.
    I'm able to get a lot more done with my Note 2 and Dropbox. I also came across a file explorer app called X-Plore File Manager that has taken my file integration between my device and Dropbox, Picasa, and Google Docs to a new level.

Some really good points here.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    No, ATT only allowed it on wifi not Apple.
    ATT and other US carriers with their stupid limitations.. so funny

Seriously you couldn't be more wrong on this. Once your contacts and calendar is connected to your Gmail account you never need to worry about syncing anything. You can also use Google sync to wirelessly sync to Outlook.
    I'm unaware of a "Google sync" that is available to sync Google contacts with Outlook if one doesn't use an Exchange server for email.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    I'm unaware of a "Google sync" that is available to sync Google contacts with Outlook if one doesn't use an Exchange server for email.
    Yes for calendar sync. Not email. You can also check out www.companionlink.com. This is a great program. Syncs calendar, contacts and tasks wirelessly from your phone or desktop. It's $40 but well worth it for my business needs. I never have to sync anything anymore.

Android Evangelist

Yes for calendar sync. Not email. You can also check out Sync calendar, contacts, tasks and notes to Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry - CompanionLink. This is a great program. Syncs calendar, contacts and tasks wirelessly from your phone or desktop. It's $40 but well worth it for my business needs. I never have to sync anything anymore.
    Given the iffy nature of Android apps, I'm reluctant to spend $40 on one, especially one with so many negative reviews. Not eager to throw away that much cash if the thing doesn't work properly. But it's good to know you like it.

Fact remains, iPhone is much better (easier and more seamless, requiring no special apps) at syncing information like contacts and schedule with a desktop program like Outlook. I have no interest in owning an iPhone, but it's silly to pretend that there's nothing they do better than Android (in general) or our GN2s specifically.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Not sure if android forum or iphone forum

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Given the iffy nature of Android apps, I'm reluctant to spend $40 on one, especially one with so many negative reviews. Not eager to throw away that much cash if the thing doesn't work properly. But it's good to know you like it.

Fact remains, iPhone is much better (easier and more seamless, requiring no special apps) at syncing information like contacts and schedule with a desktop program like Outlook. I have no interest in owning an iPhone, but it's silly to pretend that there's nothing they do better than Android (in general) or our GN2s specifically.
    Well for the record it's not an app. It's a desktop program that works for Android and for iPhone and many different formats. But I still think you are just being a fanboy for Apple rather than looking at all the options. Check out Google Sync
    Last edited by badbrad17; 01-23-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Well for the record it's not just an Android app. It's for iPhone and many different formats. But I still think you are just being a fanboy for Apple rather than looking at all the options. Check out Google Sync
    He wont. You know how apple sheep are.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    xlDeMoNiClx and Darth Spock like this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

The part where you lost all cred is where you said "Given the iffy nature of Android apps". These kinds of statements are such a waste of everyone's time and only degrade your input. If you are only here to try to discredit something without any real value then don't bother.
    Android Evangelist
    Darth Spock likes this.

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

I honestly don't think android has a huge learning curve anymore. With JB, heck even with ICS, the learning curve is about the same as iOS. The note 2 is a phone you can pick up and use just like the iPhone. I really think Samsung has a winning formula now with touchwiz.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock and TheOtherBill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    I honestly don't think android has a huge learning curve anymore. With JB, heck even with ICS, the learning curve is about the same as iOS. The note 2 is a phone you can pick up and use just like the iPhone. I really think Samsung has a winning formula now with touchwiz.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Tell that to someone who's never used an Android before. They'll disagree. I agree that JB and ICS have made things simpler, but it's still a lot to figure out if coming from an iPhone.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Multiple App stores....FIN

Only thing iPhone can do better is.....

Fit in your pocket.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Tell that to someone who's never used an Android before. They'll disagree. I agree that JB and ICS have made things simpler, but it's still a lot to figure out if coming from an iPhone.
    I agree. The selection of text & copy/paste feature is easier and smoother on iOS. I still find myself wondering which symbol is select all, copy, cut, and paste on my Note. iOS simply has the words copy and paste. HTC Sense UI seems to be more user friendly than stock Android & TouchWiz when it comes to this feature on Android phones.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,714 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

It can trick people into thinking it is the only option for a "easy" and "usable" experience.......Steve is one busy ghost!

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

L.E.A.R.N.I.N.G. is back by popular demand :-)
    Android Evangelist
    Thanked by 3:
    tirith and TomsAndroid like this.

L.E.A.R.N.I.N.G. is back by popular demand :-)
    Yeah, don't get me wrong... my new to Android friend was frustrated for a couple of days, but now he's absolutely tickled by how customizable his Note 2 is. But people have to remember that many of us who have been Android users for a while now most likely did so because we got over the iPhone and sought out a better/different alternative. People just now getting into Android have probably lived through 4 or 5 different iPhones over the past 5 years. They're not used to (sorry) having to think for themselves. Most long-term iPhone users are used to having everything selected for them: the look, the layout, having to sync through iTunes or the Cloud. There's no leg work with an iPhone.

I once heard someone say, "iPhones are great phones to do everything FOR you. Androids are great phones to do everything you WANT it to do."

It's pretty true.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

So every phone should be like iOS? Idea is to be different not same with different name.. WP is a great example how to do things different and not the same way like every other OS with different theme.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast