What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2?

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You mean these icons? https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.Hace.Iphone5Screen&token=W_z-zMeP
The ones that are available on the Google play store by the boat load? I skinned my daughters SGS2 to look just like an iphone. The best part is even though it looks the same as an iphone it still does way more.

Yes, I like that deep clear transparent icon look. Thanks. Only thing missing is the page flip animation - like when one page folds away from the other.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I like that deep clear transparent icon look. Thanks. Only thing missing is the page flip animation - like when one page folds away from the other.
Install Nova launcher and you can choose from many transitions. You essentially can duplicate anything the iPhone does.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What can the new iphone 5 do better than the Note 2? Run iPhone apps that don't have Android counterparts.
The only one that I keep seeing is the one the kids are all using for making videos on their iphones. They can do great videos and add music, effects etc. I haven't seen anything like it on Android yet.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
After using my Note 2 for about a month now I can say there's only one thing the iPhone does better. That one thing is music. After moving to digital I never thought I'd have issues with audio skipping in my music player. It feels like I have an old CD player that skips when you hit a bump. That just isn't fun. :(

Music: iPhone > Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Everything Else: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 > iPhone

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
The only one that I keep seeing is the one the kids are all using for making videos on their iphones. They can do great videos and add music, effects etc. I haven't seen anything like it on Android yet.

And my favourite, Garageband.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
After using my Note 2 for about a month now I can say there's only one thing the iPhone does better. That one thing is music. After moving to digital I never thought I'd have issues with audio skipping in my music player. It feels like I have an old CD player that skips when you hit a bump. That just isn't fun. :(

Audio skipping??? i have never had this happen, what player are you using?

Benson Chik

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Camera is better with iphone 5 at point and shoot, My wife had my iphone 5 and I now have a note 2.

We always use the iphone to take photo instead of the note 2

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Audio skipping??? i have never had this happen, what player are you using?

Happened with both the stock music player and Winamp. Currently getting recommendations in another thread on other players that help circumvent this issue. PowerAmp for example I've now seen has options to help prevent this issue specifically by mentioning that the options help prevent skipping.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Happened with both the stock music player and Winamp. Currently getting recommendations in another thread on other players that help circumvent this issue. PowerAmp for example I've now seen has options to help prevent this issue specifically by mentioning that the options help prevent skipping.
Power amp is what i use

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think you have an isolated problem. Solid state electronics don't skip. You may have loose connections.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I think you have an isolated problem. Solid state electronics don't skip. You may have loose connections.

Not at all, do a quick Google, it's not an isolated issue. Funny enough, the first result is from this very forum. Also, if it was an isolated issue PowerAmp wouldn't have built in settings to help prevent this issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+audio+skip

It's all to do with the CPU. If the CPU is only allowed to run at 200 MHz of course it's going to struggle playing audio that is of half decent quality because it won't have enough processing power to load the data.

Modern electronics shouldn't skip and that's why this issue is so ridiculous. Unless you root your device to install setCPU, you can't change the minimum MHz for the CPU. It's absurd one would have to root the device just to get proper audio playback.

My last chance is tomorrow. I've had both PowerAmp and Player Pro skip today so in PowerAmp I enabled both audio skip settings. I'll spend all day tomorrow with these settings enabled, but my impressions of Android have gone from absolutely perfect and the best OS to below satisfactory.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Not at all, do a quick Google, it's not an isolated issue. Funny enough, the first result is from this very forum. Also, if it was an isolated issue PowerAmp wouldn't have built in settings to help prevent this issue.

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+audio+skip

It's all to do with the CPU. If the CPU is only allowed to run at 200 MHz of course it's going to struggle playing audio that is of half decent quality because it won't have enough processing power to load the data.

Modern electronics shouldn't skip and that's why this issue is so ridiculous. Unless you root your device to install setCPU, you can't change the minimum MHz for the CPU. It's absurd one would have to root the device just to get proper audio playback.

My last chance is tomorrow. I've had both PowerAmp and Player Pro skip today so in PowerAmp I enabled both audio skip settings. I'll spend all day tomorrow with these settings enabled, but my impressions of Android have gone from absolutely perfect and the best OS to below satisfactory.
What i dont understand is how most of us do not have this problem. I have been been through my Droid X>fascinate>gnex>N2 and have not hit this problem once. Is it the format of music you are trying to play? something else has to be involved.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
What i dont understand is how most of us do not have this problem. I have been been through my Droid X>fascinate>gnex>N2 and have not hit this problem once. Is it the format of music you are trying to play? something else has to be involved.

Same here... g1-hero-optimus s-evo shift-photon-nexus s-note 2 with some others thrown in, never once encountered skipping music...

Are you rooted? If so, what kernel/rom you use?

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not rooted, I'm stock 4.1.2. If I was rooted I would immediately use the setCPU application to stop the CPU from clocking all the way down to 200 MHz. While I know it's easy, I don't want to root my device as I prefer things stock.

I play MP3's with 320 kbps or at minimum 192 kbps. Nothing unusual, although the quality is high. Lower kbps would obviously work better, but there's no reason at all why 320 kbps should struggle. It's just the fact that the CPU clocks down even without power saving turned on. It doesn't happen if you have your screen on, but in sleep mode it clocks down and I'm assuming when another process triggers, it starts to chock.

I have applications running such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. in the background to provide notifications. While I can't verify this at all, my thinking is that while the music plays fine while clocked down, when an application or two start looking for notifications plus the music playing, it causes the skips. It plays fine for the most part, it's just the odd skip which is why I'm lead to believe it happens at a time where too many processes are asking for the CPU and the CPU can't handle it when it's clocked down.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted, I'm stock 4.1.2. If I was rooted I would immediately use the setCPU application to stop the CPU from clocking all the way down to 200 MHz. While I know it's easy, I don't want to root my device as I prefer things stock.

I play MP3's with 320 kbps or at minimum 192 kbps. Nothing unusual, although the quality is high. Lower kbps would obviously work better, but there's no reason at all why 320 kbps should struggle. It's just the fact that the CPU clocks down even without power saving turned on. It doesn't happen if you have your screen on, but in sleep mode it clocks down and I'm assuming when another process triggers, it starts to chock.

I have applications running such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. in the background to provide notifications. While I can't verify this at all, my thinking is that while the music plays fine while clocked down, when an application or two start looking for notifications plus the music playing, it causes the skips. It plays fine for the most part, it's just the odd skip which is why I'm lead to believe it happens at a time where too many processes are asking for the CPU and the CPU can't handle it when it's clocked down.
ill keep trying to replicate this

jrog28

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Use power amp. No skipping tons of controls. And get over yourself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2