Sign This Petition: Dear Samsung, please make 64GB/32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 2!

duff60901

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How is it the carrier? NO ONE sells the 32/64 in the US. I could see it if say V is the only one without it... but no one having it isn't the carrier. I also love the end of the release about features and things being able to be changed without notice or obligation WTF... so they can just make a phone with amazing specs, have a release for it, and change everything without any notification. Well no 64 no customer.

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And this
^ This.

This didn't work with unlocking the GS3 bootloader and this will be the same thing. This also wouldn't work for many other reasons, mainly financial and production reasons. If they go back to make a whole new device basically just for expanded memory they would have to replace an internal component, yes its small but you have to account for the labor, overhead and production costs of not just 1 device but 2 seperate or even 3 if you want to do a 16, 32 and 64.

A petition to unlock a bootloader sure, that is a simple fix where they just send out an OTA if they please but something like this will never work. And someone mentioned it before, the 16gb will be fine for MOST people. I want to highlight the most part. No company on the planet will be able to please 100% of their users. Therefore, you have to please the majority of their users which the 16gb will considering you can pop in a MicroSD card. I have a 64gb microSD card that I got on sale for $40 and couldn't be happier.

The only reason why Apple comes out with 16,32 and 64 varients are simply because they don't have an sd card slot (and because they want to kill your wallet). Be happy that Samsung gave you the option to add an sdcard. Could be worse, could be like the DNA or an iPhone where you get the internal memory and thats it.

YoshiB1

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The internal storage (18MB/sec write, 44MB/sec read) is twice as fast than a class 10 micro SD (~10MB/sec write 20MB/sec read).

You're buying cheap SD cards then. Sandisk have up to 30mb/s read/write for Class 10 for their ultra range and for the extreme are up to 95mb/s read/write.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How is it the carrier? NO ONE sells the 32/64 in the US. I could see it if say V is the only one without it... but no one having it isn't the carrier. I also love the end of the release about features and things being able to be changed without notice or obligation WTF... so they can just make a phone with amazing specs, have a release for it, and change everything without any notification. Well no 64 no customer.

Because carriers are evil and we can only blame the carriers. lol.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
If a US carrier wanted the 32 gb or 64 gb versions they would have it.
Samsung has no reason to refuse to sell a device in the US that they already manufacture for some Asian markets.
There are two primary reasons the US carriers aren't pursuing the larger memory versions.
1.) They don't feel there is a large enough market:
Most of the carriers didn't believe in the original Note and didn't carry it.
The Note II is still believed to be a niche device because of it's size and price point.
The sweet spot for premium phones is $199 subsidized on a 2 year contract.
Above that price meets considerable resistance from the general buying public.
A 32gb GN2 would have to be priced at $399 and a 64gb version at $499.
At that price there won't be enough units sold to bother with the trouble of stocking the device.
Those that would buy at those prices would have bought the 16gb version anyway. There is not much more profit in the larger memory versions than the 16gb version for the carriers. They still use the same data plan and the carriers make money on the plans not the phones.
2.) Data, Data, Data:
As stated the carriers make money on plans not phones.
With smartphones it is data plans. The larger the data plan the better.
Providing to much on board storage reduces data use.
Why provide 64gb of onboard storage when a customer can use a variety streaming and cloud based services that drive data use and revenue.
There is still a chance that a 32 gb version could be released in the US once the initial sales momentum of launch fades.
That would extend the life of the GN2 and add a boost of sales 4 to 6 months after launch.
Six months following launch the 16gb GN2 could be reduced to $199 and the 32gb GN2 could be released at $299.
Verizon currently has a Minimum Advertised Price for the GN2 of $299 that expires this spring.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
If a US carrier wanted the 32 gb or 64 gb versions they would have it.
Samsung has no reason to refuse to sell a device in the US that they already manufacture for some Asian markets.
There are two primary reasons the US carriers aren't pursuing the larger memory versions.
1.) They don't feel there is a large enough market:
Most of the carriers didn't believe in the original Note and didn't carry it.
The Note II is still believed to be a niche device because of it's size and price point.
The sweet spot for premium phones is $199 subsidized on a 2 year contract.
Above that price meets considerable resistance from the general buying public.
A 32gb GN2 would have to be priced at $399 and a 64gb version at $499.
At that price there won't be enough units sold to bother with the trouble of stocking the device.
Those that would buy at those prices would have bought the 16gb version anyway. There is not much more profit in the larger memory versions than the 16gb version for the carriers. They still use the same data plan and the carriers make money on the plans not the phones.
2.) Data, Data, Data:
As stated the carriers make money on plans not phones.
With smartphones it is data plans. The larger the data plan the better.
Providing to much on board storage reduces data use.
Why provide 64gb of onboard storage when a customer can use a variety streaming and cloud based services that drive data use and revenue.
There is still a chance that a 32 gb version could be released in the US once the initial sales momentum of launch fades.
That would extend the life of the GN2 and add a boost of sales 4 to 6 months after launch.
Six months following launch the 16gb GN2 could be reduced to $199 and the 32gb GN2 could be released at $299.
Verizon currently has a Minimum Advertised Price for the GN2 of $299 that expires this spring.

Interesting and valid points. If they allowed us to install apps to our SD Cards without rooting that would make it easier.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Interesting and valid points. If they allowed us to install apps to our SD Cards without rooting that would make it easier.

Lack of apps to SD card isn't the carriers fault though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's Androids/Googles correct, a limitation made within Jellybean? I heard in order to push people to cloud storage.

That may be a valid reason, but it isn't the only reason.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to go around on this carousel again but no matter the reasons, it is not one of the better decisions made by Google at this time...

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to go around on this carousel again but no matter the reasons, it is not one of the better decisions made by Google at this time...

If you are talking about the decision to move certian apps to an SD card I can agree to an extent and the reason why I say to an extent is because if you can push every app to an SD Card, I feel that pirating apps would shoot up significantly. While there is a lot of that now, I feel that if Google made it easier by allowing users to put software on external memory it would just get worse.

If you are talking about only having 16gb size, Google doesn't have control over that. That is between Samsung and their respective carrier.

I hate to break it to you guys, nothing and I mean NOTHING will come from petitions or arguements like this. I don't want to sound negative, but the majority of people out there couldn't give a crap about moving apps to the SD Card or the internal size. Most people would simply be happy they have an option to use an SD Card. Period.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Pirating apps has nothing to do with pushing an app to the sdcard.
I can download any app right now and just install it to the main phone storage.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh and Google does have a bit to do with setting the standards for storage. If they put out a reference phone with 8 and 16gb choices, don't you think that carries a bit of influence? Just one of the reasons the n4 is a poor phone

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh and Google does have a bit to do with setting the standards for storage. If they put out a reference phone with 8 and 16gb choices, don't you think that carries a bit of influence? Just one of the reasons the n4 is a poor phone

Yes they do, and carriers have a big influence. I agree that phones that don't have external memory are pointless to offer at 8 and 16gb, I won't argue there. The N4 I wanted to love as a phone because I loved my Galaxy Nexus but the lack of LTE and expandible memory was a killer for me.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You and I share share in the disappointment. I wanted to like the n4 but it has too many negatives compared to oem phones, samsung in particular

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You and I share share in the disappointment. I wanted to like the n4 but it has too many negatives compared to oem phones, samsung in particular

It was a really dumb decision on those 2 things. I mean LTE is now pretty much in every major market and a majority of the smaller ones now. Besides, most people who owned a Nexus would know how to turn off the LTE radio if they don't have access to it so the logic behind that decision I still can't follow.

The memory thing is more of what I have an issue with. I like to listen to music on one device and I would prefer to have the music on my SD Card instead of streaming it through Google Music or Pandora or whatever else. I have all my music on a 64gb SD Card and I use PowerAmp to play it and I am happy. Not having that ability (to an extent of being able to have my entire library on my phone) is not worth the price of admission right there.

I also have never been a guy to like a glass backing phone. Had an iPhone 4/4S and tried using it caseless, couldn't do it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Again you and I are on the same page. I said the other day that the n4 was a huge step backwards. The iNexus apologists of course would hear none of that.

Lte, storage, design all negatives. Even the internals are not all that eyepopping. The camera is a marginal improvement but that is about it.

lupulo

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I will gladly sign your petition. I love the Note II, and would buy one today if they actually had the 32 GB AT&T version available. 16+64 just isn't enough. I currently carry a 32GB phone, a 64GB music player, and a 64 GB Tablet with SD ports just so I can carry everything I want to carry, (music, podcasts, language lessons, audio books, ebooks, movies). The storage space in the cloud, and bandwidth to stream all of this would be prohibitively expensive, not to mention untrustworthy in my locale and just doesn't work on a plane. I want to carry it with me. I would love to whittle this down to only carrying two units instead of 3, and my next phone WILL allow me to do this, and I won't buy until I can get what I want. I'm abandoning the IOS platform for Android because I will never be able to get what I want from Apple, and Android is just better.