What is an MHL port adapter?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
"[T]he MHL port . . . is a normal microUSB port and works as one (a charger port as well). The MHL port enables USB On-The-Go. You'll need an adapter for that too (there isn't one in the box) but this one is fairly straight forward - you plug it into the Galaxy Note and plug a standard USB cable on the other end."
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 review: Writing home - GSMArena.com

Can someone please explain to me what type of adapter is necessary for the MHL port in order to use a usb flash drive with my Note II? (I absolutely don't have a clue what this refers to!)

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe samsung.com has one of those--and I considered ordering it; however, my mind was fuzzy about it because I've never even heard of an MHL port. Actually, I have several already, but I'm uncertain about the number of pins being different in the Note II so those I have mayn't fit . . .

Is this what you refer to?
[h=4]HDTV Universal Adapter (11pin)[/h]

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
That's an adapter for micro-USB to HDMI, so not quite the same. It's similar, though.

There're two types of adapter cables that you're looking at (not including charging cables, of course): micro-USB to HDMI cables, and micro-USB to USB adapter cables.

The former lets you output via HDMI, the latter lets you hook other USB devices up to your phone, with your phone acting as the host device.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay, that is what I initially thought this is! But then, I wasn't sure enough that I was correct. So, would the micro-usb-to-usb adapters I already have fit the Note II? (I mean, do they have the same # of pins?) I've been using these for other mobile phones, etcetera, for several years. Not sure how my mind got so messed up about this---perhaps the new (to me) terminology.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463