20-40% battery loss overnight

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to clear cache and clear data on maps?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

ecs180

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
From another thread i started which got lost in the shuffle....

Hi everyone,

The other day i saw 30% drop in battery overnight. I had already researched battery saving ideas and had the usual settings (i.e., google now off, dim screen, etc.)

I came across 3 different tools that helped me big time...i am currently sitting at 80% after 16 hours

1) application manager -> swipe right to all - go through the list and disable "show notifications" for pretty much every app you don't need a notification for. also unistall updates/diasable/force stop any app you dont need (since there are a lot of random apps, only do this for obvious ones)

2) download (all free) cpu spy (confirm your phone is hitting deep sleep), my data manager (determine which apps are using data), and gsam battery monitor (determine which apps are both keeping your phone awake, and waking your phone). cross reference my data manager and gsm battery with the below.

3) the holy grail as someone referred to it - settings -> data usage -> scroll down to bottom -> manually disable background data for all obvious apps. i personally left my weather, email, and the android os ones alone. it is important to note that if you open your browser (or any other app) it is no longer a background app. you must do the hold home button clear open apps to close it out.

i am pretty good with tech, but am no expert and this worked for me (so far), but if anyone knows better please let me know

nice to see my battery finally in beast mode

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Micromanaging the battery life isn't the same as fixing it. The techniques to escape wake-lock, finding apps that are using resources when they shouldn't, etc, are incredibly useful because those solve actual problems. After that, I don't feel it's unreasonable for users to assume that their phone should still have juice left when they go to bed, even if they have the 30 minute updates from Facebook, automatically pushed e-mails, etc.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I shouldn't have to go through a ritual every night, turn off wifi, data, gps, etc.
There's an app called automate it which can be set to do all this automatically. I lose about 1 or 2 percent now after I set it at a certain time to disable sync, lower brightness and turn off the radio.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been losing an average of 6%-7% over night. I guess you could say I lose about 1% an hour, that's with nothing turned off. I keep wifi, gps, data, ect on. I can't have all that off because, I don't want to miss out on an important email.

I'm sure there are others like me that cannot miss emails, ect. Even if it is at night while you're sleeping.

The only thing I have turned off is the "Automatically report you're location from this device"

My issue I've been having with map's has somewhat gone away, though not all the way. Like last night I forgot to turn off my phone/restart it, before I charged it. Maps did go up to about 19% battery use but then ended up below the Android system, OS, ect. When I woke up and checked it again it was down to about 8%. So that's much better then it was doing.

I still remember the day's back when I had 4.1.1 and maps wouldn't go over 4% or never even be in the battery list unless I actually used it for a while.

I know people report 8 hours of on screen use and what not. But yesterday I got 5 hours and 15 minutes of on screen time with a total of 23 hours of time since last unpluged, I also had 32% battery life left.

I used it pretty heavy that day. Most days my battery never goes below 50%. I just would like to know how people get 8 hours of screen time and they say that's there average. I guess I never asked them if they use battery monitors and managers that turn off certain things.

I'm not saying I'm not happy with the battery life I get out of my Note 2, I just wanna know how they get that much out of there Note 2, without the use of an app.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

HypoDest

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
@Onemoa

Based on your onscreen time and battery left, you have an estimated 7 hours 45 mins of total screen time which is pretty decent. You could average 8 by not syncing overnight and using a lower screen brightness.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
That's true. But I do only sync gmail right now. I have everything else unchecked.

I'll start checking things again once slowly to see how it impacts my battery.

I also am going to try not using WiFi for a few days just to see how my battery does without always being on Wi-Fi.

I just hope we get an update soon. I've started to come to terms with the fact Google Now will drain more battery. I just think Google should work on optimizing it better.

But mainly I just want 4.2.2 with the new touch wiz and Samsung S4 features. I would like to see how the new version of S-Voice works and hopefully they do upgrade our camera software as well, though it is unlikely.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I've tried everything. I have a T-mobile Note 2 and this has been happening since I got 4.1.2 I've posted about this before and if anyone can really help me with this as in fix it, know a fix. I'll donate $10 to you via paypal.

Hey Dustin,

I also have a t-mobile note 2, but I've had issues with Maps even before I updated to 4.1.2. Whenever I uninstall the Maps updates and return to the factory version, it seems to help. Try that if you haven't already.

Everything was going decently with my battery until last night. I usually lose 1-2% overnight, but last night I lost 40%. not sure what's going on.

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a drain too but during the day at work were I never had that issue before. You all confim my belief google now could have something to do with it

Posted via Android Central App

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dustin,

I also have a t-mobile note 2, but I've had issues with Maps even before I updated to 4.1.2. Whenever I uninstall the Maps updates and return to the factory version, it seems to help. Try that if you haven't already.

Everything was going decently with my battery until last night. I usually lose 1-2% overnight, but last night I lost 40%. not sure what's going on.

I know what you're talking about as I had those same issues. For about a month or two before we got 4.1.2 then for a while after that.

That went away and everything was great for a while. No maps battery drain, no issues. Then Google Services started draining my battery shortly after the Google I/O and it just got worse and worse. It send ever since we got that forced updated right from Google "Google Play Services" is when it all started and Google has yet to fix it.

Google really needs to work on optimizing there services and software. Battery life is one of the most important if not thee most important when it comes to using our phones and Google needs to realize that they need to optimize they're software, mainly Google Now and Google Maps.

I hope Google does it soon. As this issue is not just on our Note 2. I've read about it in the S4 and S3 forums as well as the nexus forums.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Google really needs to work on optimizing there services and software. Battery life is one of the most important if not thee most important when it comes to using our phones and Google needs to realize that they need to optimize they're software, mainly Google Now and Google Maps.

I have google now disabled and I still have issues. I've also noticed issues with Chrome using a lot of background data, even if I go into the "active applications" list and end it.

My brother and I got Note 2s about a week apart. Even taking into account how our usage differs, we have vastly different battery life experiences. His phone is black and mine is white, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt that the color difference has anything to do with batter life.

I don't use Chrome due to it using much more CPU time then the default browser. When ever you use either the default browser or chrome, make sure that when you're done, hold down the home key and swipe it to the side. That way it will not keep running in the background.

Try using the default browser rather then chrome. Also make sure you don't have Google contacts checked in Google sync options. That seemed to drain allot of battery for me.

I also notice Google+ sync used allot of battery. If you're a heavy Google+ user, be sure to un check it in Google sync options. You will get an email every time something important happens in Google+, if you don't you can set it up that way.

The fact that you don't use Google Plus should give you great battery life alone but the things I stated above should also help.

Make sure you have report from this device unchecked in you're Google Maps settings, along with location History unchecked. I use Google Now but still don't have them checked due to those settings causing my device to not get much deep sleep.

Now, do you use LTE, 3G, HSPA+ or are you on Wi-Fi most of the time? These things can change you're battery life dramatically. I'm always on Wi-Fi at home, but I use HSPA when I'm out. I do have LTE here in Hawaii but I'm on T-Mobile and while it's fast. It's so spotty and always going back and forth to LTE to HSPA. I find it's just not worth it due to the extreme battery drain being on LTE causes. If T-Mobile fixes this issue so I don't move two feet and get dropped from LTE or go into my home and get dropped from LTE maybe I'll try it again.

So what I'm saying is depending on what connection you're using and how good it is can change you're battery from being at 50% at the end of the day or at 5% at the end of the day.

Let me know what you use and if you're settings are changed or your going to change them to what I advised. Do you use Chat On? Do you sync other email accounts with the email app? Do you use other messaging apps?

Let me know and I'll try to help you. If would also be great if you could take screen shots of your battery monitor. Also click the top of it and show me your phone stats.

If you answer my questions and try to get screens, I should be able to help you.

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I too loss about 20%, what I try to do is stop all apps, turn off GPS Mobile data, and all the gestures, oh and NFC and S beam, it help a little bit.

Onemoa

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I lose about 10% overnight. That's with everything on. I don't put on airplane mode or turn off Google Now.

I do however restart my Note 2 before I charge it each time. Just because if I don't Google Services eats up a crazy amount of my battery.

I do think I'll start turning off sync though. That way I won't have to worry about getting emails that will wake me.

I might go ahead and try putting my Note 2 in airplane mode just to see how that goes.

I'll let you know.

But 20% battery life overnight is kind up there. You must have allot of background apps that use push service like Chat On. ect.

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I lose about 10% overnight. That's with everything on. I don't put on airplane mode or turn off Google Now.

I might go ahead and try putting my Note 2 in airplane mode just to see how that goes.

I'll let you know.

I can't guarantee it works, but it saves a TON of battery for me.

I would love to see how it works out for you!

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer