Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By burwil
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4G on the Note 2

I've got an Orange UK Note 2, but have unlocked it and using it on Vodafone UK and it's working like a charm.

However, I cant seem to be able to find a way to turn off just the 4G radio, to stop it hunting for a signal it's not going to find and wasting my battery.

Does anyone know of a way of doing this? All googling seems to find is ways of doing this with US based Note 2's which isn't an option in my phone.

When I go into settings the only options available are Auto mode and 3G only. I could do with just 2G and 3G.

Ive also tried the Phone Info app, and a some of the various 4G toggle widgets, but none of these seem to work either.

The battery life on my Note 2 is nowhere near what most people seem to be getting, and I'm wondering if it is the 4G radio which may be part of the problem. I'm struggling to get 14 hours out of it.

This is a screenshot from today, although I did use the Maps for a couple of hours which isn't my normal usage:

Default Re: 4G on the Note 2

It looks like to me that GPS is whats eating your battery as its on when you use Maps, not necessarily the 4G radio. Several hours of GPS with the screen at the same time is not bad!

Global Posts
    1,374 Global Posts
    ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

Gps tears through my battery as well. I turn that off ASAP when done navigating. I stay on 4g all day and get a day and half without charging. But I usually get about 10-12 hours of screen on time. Which is about the same as my ipad, the wifi version not the 3g.

Heck maps will drain your battery too. I loaded my traffic map up and never closed it and GSam told me at the end of the day that maps was eating my battery a a good rate all along. And I only had location services on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This kind of battery drain is happening whether I use maps or not though.......

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Gsam battery monitor is excellent.

Thanked by:
    steverowlands likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by burwil View Post
    Gsam battery monitor is excellent.

Cheers mate will give it a go.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Just thought I would follow up on this post from last week and the battery troubles I was having.

Thanks so much for the gsam battery monitor recommendation. I managed to track the major problem down to a huge amount of wake locks occurring for the media server. Once I managed to force stop the media server I am now getting at least 24 hours of pretty hard usage which I am really pleased about.

Thanks once again for everyone's help. 8-)

Did you get it from EE? Or orange itself online?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Had an upgrade due on the wife's Orange account, so presume it came from Orange.

How long was this ago?

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Couple of weeks...... Any particular reason?

I wondered if you had the 3G version on the note 2 but I can see it says N7105 so the '05' means the lte version, I'm not sure why can't turn it off, anything in the setting mobile data?

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    I wondered if you had the 3G version on the note 2 but I can see it says N7105 so the '05' means the lte version, I'm not sure why can't turn it off, anything in the setting mobile data?

Only options are 3G only, or auto mode. I just want 2G/3G.... Just hoping some clever sole builds a widget or something soon

Maybe because your now using Vodafone the settings have changed in the device and it's automatically left 4G on even when you can't use it