3 issues I am having [hoping for some help] wifi | Voice Type | Phone Lock | handwriting keyboard

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
1- What is the correct way to set this phone up for wifi? Here is my dilemma: I signed into starbucks wifi used it for a bit then left got in my car to drive. It switched from wifi to 4g and then i drove more and was at a red light near another bucks and it picked up the wifi from my car but i was too far for it to work so i was stuck in a purgatory between a wifi connection i didnt want and getting a mobile data connection that i should of had. do i need to turn on and off wifi always? my last phone i never had to do that.

2- Is there a way to turn down the sensitivity of voice type? i was trying to text a message and i had some talk radio on in the car the thing was picking up word for word from the radio speaker and entering it in my text area.

3- I have the phone set to lock when you press power button however when i am on a phone call the phone stays on the dial pad screen but it also locks it self of any other function. i need to swipe in my lock screen pattern to get back to doing anything else on the phone. anyway to stop that?

4- Finally... when i have the s-pen out [and set to pen detection in setting] it brings up a area to write letters in when needed like if you were sending a message of some sort however i see no way to bring up a keyboard i can type on [for numbers you can] but i cant find a way for letters. is there a way?

T H A N K S ! ! !

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
1 - I'd say just leave it. Unless you're streaming music or something this shouldn't be an issue. You are driving afterall, right?

2 - No there isn't. Turn down the volume on the radio if you plan on using Speech to text

3 - Not that I am aware of no

4 - Look for a button above the writing area, it should look like a capital T with a little mark to the bottom right of it. Tap and hold on this button until you pull up another menu. This is a list of all the different input methods. Find the regular keyboard one (forget what the icon looks like off the top of my head) and click it. Done.

5 - You asked 4 questions not 3 :p

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
1 - I'd say just leave it. Unless you're streaming music or something this shouldn't be an issue. You are driving afterall, right?

2 - No there isn't. Turn down the volume on the radio if you plan on using Speech to text

3 - Not that I am aware of no

4 - Look for a button above the writing area, it should look like a capital T with a little mark to the bottom right of it. Tap and hold on this button until you pull up another menu. This is a list of all the different input methods. Find the regular keyboard one (forget what the icon looks like off the top of my head) and click it. Done.

5 - You asked 4 questions not 3 :p

THANKS for the help [ i hear you on the 4 questions LOL]!!

1- No what I am saying is i cant get on 4g or 3g because as i drive by starbucks it picks up the wifi for a second and interupts my 3/4g data espeically if i am searching something or downloading something etc or even today i walked by a starbucks in the city and it went from 4g to wifi.

4- i tried this and it doesnt do anything i can get a number keyboard to come up and not a lettered one. i held down the icon you mentioned and it doesnt bring up another menu and i dont see anyway to get the lettered keyboard :(

thanks

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
1 - Well like I said, if you're supposedly driving unless you have a playlist of music streaming like Pandora or something this shouldn't be an issue. Calls and texts come through just fine irrelevant to your data connection and aside from streaming, what could you possibly be doing that requires data WHILE driving a car? That's a huge no no and get's no endorsement from me. Now if you're a passenger and you're just messing with your phone as you travel past a Starbucks, yes I could see this being an issue. Unfortunately then your only option would be to disable Wifi while out in the car.

4 - I would recommend trying again. I know for a fact this works I just did it yesterday on my brother's Note 2. Mine won't be in until tomorrow but the whole system of using the s pen to write out texts was mega importante to me so I fiddle with his phone a lot until I got the whole thing figured out. It's there, trust me. You just need to play around with it.

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
1 - Well like I said, if you're supposedly driving unless you have a playlist of music streaming like Pandora or something this shouldn't be an issue. Calls and texts come through just fine irrelevant to your data connection and aside from streaming, what could you possibly be doing that requires data WHILE driving a car? That's a huge no no and get's no endorsement from me. Now if you're a passenger and you're just messing with your phone as you travel past a Starbucks, yes I could see this being an issue. Unfortunately then your only option would be to disable Wifi while out in the car.

4 - I would recommend trying again. I know for a fact this works I just did it yesterday on my brother's Note 2. Mine won't be in until tomorrow but the whole system of using the s pen to write out texts was mega importante to me so I fiddle with his phone a lot until I got the whole thing figured out. It's there, trust me. You just need to play around with it.

1- I am talking about walking or driving [as a passenger] i guess i need to turn wifi on and off when not needed or dont keep any networks in my list.

another example on a plane today gogo wireless didnt want to use it but had signed in the past and now when we land it defaulted to gogo wifi and i dont have access to the net on my data plan because it auto logs into gogo :(

2- i am telling on verizon when in pen mode in a text / handwiriting area i cannot get a standard keyboard to come up as well .

thanks

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
1. You didn't say which network you're on. But AT&T has an app called "AT&T Smart Wi-Fi" that lets you set three different levels of auto-connect.
  • My Spots - Enables wifi only near AT&T wifi hotspots and your saved networks
  • Popular Hotspots - All the above plus Popular Hotspots (e.g. Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.)
  • Public Hotspots - All the above plus any free public hotspots

Not sure if Verizon or Sprint have something similar

In addition, there are many wifi apps on Play that let you connect to hotspots and then choose which ones to remember or "dis"remember. This means, of course, that you won't connect to ones when it's not convenient, e.g. when you're moving.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Either turn wifi off or go into wifi settings and click on starbucks and then forget network.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
3- I have the phone set to lock when you press power button however when i am on a phone call the phone stays on the dial pad screen but it also locks it self of any other function. i need to swipe in my lock screen pattern to get back to doing anything else on the phone. anyway to stop that?
Are you using a bluetooth connection when on a call? If so, there is a check box in phone settings called "Auto screen off during calls". This only turns on/off the proximity sensor during calls, but if you're using BT, it would at least keep it on for your default screen timeout.

romero.richardv

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you have a Sprint version there is a setting under mobile data that automatically connects you when you are near a wifi spot that you already used. You can disable. I think it's called Sprint connection optimization or something like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante