1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Now

Google now seems to have some really cool features and can be very useful as it grows. However, I have an issue that I cannot seem to resolve. I have searched the forums for a similar issue, but no luck.

I have it set up to check emails for orders and provide shipping information which seems to function well. Also have it set up for sports scores and weather. I also set up the traffic feature to give it a try. I entered my Home address and work address. It does pop up and tell me that my commute will be X amount of time, based on traffic. However, I have 2 issues:
    1. You cannot set up times (8-5) so that it alerts you in the morning before you leave for work and towards the end of the day when it is time to go home. It pops up for me several times throughout the day while I am already at work. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?
    2. Alternate route - It shows the traffic and travel time based on a route it chooses. I however, do not use that toute, I use a different one. Is there a way I can alter this?

Thanks in advance.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

Default Re: Google Now

Quote Originally Posted by Falco1 View Post
    Google now seems to have some really cool features and can be very useful as it grows. However, I have an issue that I cannot seem to resolve. I have searched the forums for a similar issue, but no luck.

I have it set up to check emails for orders and provide shipping information which seems to function well. Also have it set up for sports scores and weather. I also set up the traffic feature to give it a try. I entered my Home address and work address. It does pop up and tell me that my commute will be X amount of time, based on traffic. However, I have 2 issues:
    1. You cannot set up times (8-5) so that it alerts you in the morning before you leave for work and towards the end of the day when it is time to go home. It pops up for me several times throughout the day while I am already at work. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?
    2. Alternate route - It shows the traffic and travel time based on a route it chooses. I however, do not use that toute, I use a different one. Is there a way I can alter this?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not aware of a setting for entering commute times. It figures it out based on when you normally leave. Of course, you could put a "Work" appointment (with your office address) on your calendar for when you are due at the office...and a similar appointment for home. I haven't needed to do this. It will automatically figure out the times based on your commuting habits. You just need to be consistent (and have location history turned on).

Also, I've found that it will offer alternate routes based on traffic congestion as well as distance. I learned not to fight it and it actually cut my commute time.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I agree that there should be some form of setting to change your commute times. I rarely have meetings at 6:30am when I get in the office. So I cannot put that on my calendar. The one other thing I like is that when I am out and about, Google Now gives me the estimated time to get back home. That's pretty cool.

Does anyone know how I can switch-off the sound when Google Now launches? I can't stand it each time I push on search it makes that annoying sound.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I'm not aware of a setting for entering commute times. It figures it out based on when you normally leave. Of course, you could put a "Work" appointment (with your office address) on your calendar for when you are due at the office...and a similar appointment for home. I haven't needed to do this. It will automatically figure out the times based on your commuting habits. You just need to be consistent (and have location history turned on).

Also, I've found that it will offer alternate routes based on traffic congestion as well as distance. I learned not to fight it and it actually cut my commute time.
    I guess I got so annoyed with it that I just kept ignoring it. I just checked and it did indeed have my "normal" route that I drive on a daily basis. So I am assuming that I have location history turned on. However, it is 1pm EST time and it is popping up and telling me about my commute home and I have another 3 hours before I leave. I would think it wouldn't alert me until it was closer to my departure time.
    DAS

Global Posts
    976 Global Posts

If you into Google Now settings you can select when you want traffic updates.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Now-uploadfromtaptalk1354765857243.jpg