Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gorilla glass 2

This glass on the note 2 blows (if this phone even has it) and I already have a couple small scratches, do I need a wet install screen protector to hide them or will a dry one help too?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Gorilla glass 2

Quote Originally Posted by typinghairyape View Post
    This glass on the note 2 blows (if this phone even has it) and I already have a couple small scratches, do I need a wet install screen protector to hide them or will a dry one help too?

I agree i already have scuffs not so much scratches. wet installs would help if they are pretty visible.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    I agree i already have scuffs not so much scratches. wet installs would help if they are pretty visible.
    Would a dry one help at all? I am kind of nervous about moisture being in contact with the phone..:banghead:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Would a dry one help at all? I am kind of nervous about moisture being in contact with the phone..:banghead:
    it will help protect it from future scratches but wont hide any scratches.... wet application is fine just dont pour it on the phone... but the phone can take a little water, watch this Samsung shows off device stress testing in promo video | Android Central

Wow I dont have a screen protector and dont have sny scratches.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Jussumguy88 likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyTracers View Post
    Wow I dont have a screen protector and dont have sny scratches.

You Best knock on wood.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Jussumguy88 likes this.

You Best knock on wood.
    Ouch you got some scratches already? I was really considering running no protector to maximize the use of the S Pen but man if you got scratches already, I don't know anymore =/

Any idea what the scratches were from? Sand particles in a pocket, S Pen itself, any drops?

I baby my phones to the max, so I don't know what to do.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Ouch you got some scratches already? I was really considering running no protector to maximize the use of the S Pen but man if you got scratches already, I don't know anymore =/

Any idea what the scratches were from? Sand particles in a pocket, S Pen itself, any drops?

Not sure, I admit I wasn't that careful with it because of my very false sense of security with gorilla glass.. I might have chucked it into a pocket that already had keys in it already on accident. :banghead:
    I've seen a SGS 1, SGS 2 and HTC Hero 2 take everyday beatings during normal use... keys, change, trips to the beach, the works. Maybe it doesn't have gorilla glass due to interference with s pen or a softer thinner more shatter resistant version as the second generation. GORILLA GLASS 1 WAS FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES SCRATCH PROOF, THIS GLASS SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED AS BEING AT ALL RESISTANT TO ANY TYPE OF DAMAGE....

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post

No idea how. I baby my phone also. And they are not scratches they are like scuffs

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

I use wet install all the time. It's my preferred method when installing a screwn protector. Never have issues with air bubbles and dust trapping underneath. To me it is easier to install than dry method. There is quite a bit of water when I do it too, but just make sure you take out battery and leave it to dry overnight.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Sorry but there's just a lot of ignorance in this thread.
    1. The phrase is "intents AND purposes"
    2. Gorilla glass 1, 2 or 713 are all quite scratchable.
    3. Wet or dry it's still a screen protector and not just a clever name. It will help prevent scratches from occurring.
    4. Dry protectors are fine and probably easier to install. Wet ones wont harm your device but can be a when removing. The type of material for either can affect the drag of your finger or stylus but do some research and you'll see this isnt a big obstacle.
    djjohnson and TheOtherBill like this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by ascian5 View Post
    Sorry but there's just a lot of ignorance in this thread.
    1. The phrase is "intents AND purposes"
    2. Gorilla glass 1, 2 or 713 are all quite scratchable.
    3. Wet or dry it's still a screen protector and not just a clever name. It will help prevent scratches from occurring.
    4. Dry protectors are fine and probably easier to install. Wet ones wont harm your device but can be a when removing. The type of material for either can affect the drag of your finger or stylus but do some research and you'll see this isnt a big obstacle.
    We apologize

typinghairyape likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

No those devices are absolutely bullet proof, this device is extremely fragile... I even saw a thread saying it lacked Gorilla Glass of any type on xda...

No idea how. I baby my phone also. And they are not scratches they are like scuffs

I apologize if I am asking the obvious, but is it possible that there is a thin plastic shipping protector still on it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by jsimpson66 View Post
    I apologize if I am asking the obvious, but is it possible that there is a thin plastic shipping protector still on it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    No I was desperately picking for it on the edge of the glass, but sadly it is not there...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

I will never do a wet install anymore. Had several people mess up their phones due to water damage. On gnote 2 water for into the home button n didn't work anymore. I think dry ones are the only way to go unless you have no buttons in front and you don't go near the earpiece.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Yeah, that huge home button freaks me out...

I have one tiny scratch that I can only see when the screen is off and in the sun, thinking about putting my other spigen ultra crystal on.

I haven't even taken off the display screen protector that comes shipped with the phone. Hopefully, the SGP oleophobic protector l ordered should be here tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Galaxy View Post
    I haven't even taken off the display screen protector that comes shipped with the phone. Hopefully, the SGP oleophobic protector l ordered should be here tuesday.
    I did the same exact thing and ordered the same exact product which will arrive the same exact day. Weird

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Mine arrived today, and I am using IT Now, I think the oleo was a good Choice. Can't even tell it's ON.

stylus doesn't capitalize Very well, does it?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

No those devices are absolutely bullet proof, this device is extremely fragile... I even saw a thread saying it lacked Gorilla Glass of any type on xda...

I did some research on this on the Corning website and Gorilla Glasss 1 vs 2 is only very slightly different in surface hardness. The technical data sheet specifies Vickers Hardness, which is a empirical test of hardness. Gorilla Glass 2 has a hardness value about 5% or so lower than Gorilla Glass 1. I think that would hardly make a noticeable difference.

Well I picked up a pack of screen protectors from Verizon in store. The 3 pack, worked out took one for me, my wife and my brother. All applied well and easy nice smooth dry install. No air bubbles. Couple of dust particles and cloth fuzzes that made it under, but nothing end of the world status.

When you wipe the protector with a microfiber cloth good enough it looks literally just like the naked glass. No way of discerning there's a protector on. So aesthetically it is identical to going without a protector. Touch wise, the Verizon protectors have been consistently "smooth" from phone to phone. This one in particular has a nice cool smooth touch, very similar to the glass itself. Not 100% the same, but definitely 95%+. If it had any effect on the S Pen at all, I can't tell the difference. Air View, contact, it all works the same to me. And I am VERY picky and alert to differences. In fact I am quite aware of the fact that my screen has some terrible yellow tinting going on. Wife and brother lucked out, my brother doesn't even have the notorious AMOLED ink spots. I got those AND a yellowish screen nice just my luck right lol.

Anyway I would never trust a $700 device to go naked and toss around for daily use. It's always better to play it safe and bundle your phone up with a case and screen protector. I can especially recommend the Verizon ones as unless you really go to town with a knife or rock etc, you aren't going to scratch your screen with this one and it comes with none of the negative side effects that most protectors carry.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by thirsty1258 View Post
    I did the same exact thing and ordered the same exact product which will arrive the same exact day. Weird

LOL

Love that movie!

Well the SGP came in today. It took me about 10 minutes to install. I did the steam trick in the shower and the result is no bubbles and no dust. It's pretty much perfect. The oleophobic screen is super clear and doesn't affect the S-Pen at all. I world recommend the SGP oleophobic to everyone with a Note II.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Galaxy View Post
    LOL

Love that movie!

Well the SGP came in today. It took me about 10 minutes to install. I did the steam trick in the shower and the result is no bubbles and no dust. It's pretty much perfect. The oleophobic screen is super clear and doesn't affect the S-Pen at all. I world recommend the SGP oleophobic to everyone with a Note II.
    What is the steam trick?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast