Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dwaynewilliams#WN
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock keyboard

I really want to use the stock keyboard, but there is one thing that drives me crazy: I can't long press buttons to add punctuation. Instead, I have to switch to the punctuation keyboard, or long press the "period" button to bring up the other options. I've looked in the settings and can't find any changes that would fix this. Am I missing something, or am I the only person who is annoyed by this?

Default Re: Stock keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by JMU_GSII View Post
    I really want to use the stock keyboard, but there is one thing that drives me crazy: I can't long press buttons to add punctuation. Instead, I have to switch to the punctuation keyboard, or long press the "period" button to bring up the other options. I've looked in the settings and can't find any changes that would fix this. Am I missing something, or am I the only person who is annoyed by this?
    Have you made the Samsung kb your default kb? The first key to the right of the spacebar is a period. No long-press necessary.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and NOTEd 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, I'm talking about the rest of the punctuation marks like ! ? # ( ) , " '
    The dedicated number row is great, but I can't believe you can't long press the other buttons for punctuation

| seem to be able to. When you long press, what happens?

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams#AC View Post
    | seem to be able to. When you long press, what happens?

For example, other keyboards allow you to long press "a" and then you get an "!". But on the Samsung keyboard, if I long press any of the letters, it just gives me a capital letter. Instead, I have to long press the period button to bring up the other punctuation options.

I will also add that I have an international Note 2. I don't know if the US versions are any different

I've been wondering about this too. The lack of autocorrect was already annoying me and now this.
    I want to use the stock keyboard but it's like Samsung are forcing me to use swiftkey or swype.
    Thanked by:

I guess the Verizon Note 2 is different. My stock keyboard does exactly what your want.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Try the 3 x 4 keyboard. Works great too for one hand typing. And space bar input the recommended words. No international note2.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sux2bu View Post
    I guess the Verizon Note 2 is different. My stock keyboard does exactly what your want.
    Mine does too.

Quote Originally Posted by JMU_GSII View Post
    For example, other keyboards allow you to long press "a" and then you get an "!". But on the Samsung keyboard, if I long press any of the letters, it just gives me a capital letter. Instead, I have to long press the period button to bring up the other punctuation options.

I will also add that I have an international Note 2. I don't know if the US versions are any different
    Do the keys show alternate characters?

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

It's not letting me upload a picture from my computer, but here's a picture from a website that shows the international Note 2 keyboard. Like I said, if you long press the keys, it just gives you a capital letter. I saw pictures of the keyboard for the US versions, and I'm really jealous. Does anybody know of a way to get the US keyboard?

This was on XDA. There's more in the thread itself but here's a step by step guide someone's written up.

It looks like you'd need root access to do it though, and for the moment I'm not rooting mine as I want to wait for Sky Go and see if I'll be using that before I decide on whether to root my phone.
    Thanked by:

I'm having trouble with my Samsung galaxy note 2. When I long pressed the word didn't capitalized why this happen?

Excuse me.. may I ask why is my Samsung galaxy note 2 can't capitalize when long pressed.

Help please... when I long pressed it doesn't turn to capital letters.

I have a tmobile note 2 running 4.1.2, stock keyboard long press does add punctuation.