Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gallery slows down and freezes

Hello.

I've tried searching forum and google to find if anyone else is having problem default gallery app.
    I only have 7 pictures on internal drive. The app slows down and eventually freezes.

For some reason, it acts normal when I turn off wifi.

Am I the only person experiencing this issue??

Can anyone help me with this problem???
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Gallery slows down and freezes

I am running the note 2 gallery on my phone and not seeing it at all. Try clearing the cache and data on the gallery app and then let it rebuild it

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

Had this on my gs3. It was looking for folders on my other computers that were in the same wifi network. I never really figured it out except to turn off wifi. Keep us posted.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I still can't figure it out. When WiFi is off..it works perfect. When on, it lags and freezes which makes it unusable. Other apps like Quickpic works fine, however.
    Am I the only one who is annoyed by this??? Can anyone think of something that I can do???

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by dannylee79 View Post
    I still can't figure it out. When WiFi is off..it works perfect. When on, it lags and freezes which makes it unusable. Other apps like Quickpic works fine, however.
    Am I the only one who is annoyed by this??? Can anyone think of something that I can do???
    Maybe it's an app you installed? I'd try a factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Last edited by Jeremy Lewis; 12-14-2012 at 12:09 AM.

I have the exact same problem on my N7100, totally unusable Gallery app, only until finding your post today i didn't realize it will work perfectly just by turning off WiFi, very strange! how have you got on? have you found a solution? I kept blaming kernels etc, I'm using Perseus Kernel and stock 4.1.2, would love to find a solution other than to turn off WiFi every time.

ROM
    Stock

I never use the Gallery app, I ALWAYS use Quickpic.
    Thanked by:
    d1g1n1xy and alamarco like this.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

In the Wi-Fi settings, I believe the is an option to turn off dlna or whatever it's called

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Wow thanks for the tip on quickpic app. It IS FAST. I thought i was the only one with lagging gallery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gallery slows down and freezes-uploadfromtaptalk1358223634150.jpg  

Thanks much for the solutions to the Gallery freezing problem -- which I have seen from Day One.

Turning off WiFi fixed it (but then my Wifi turns right back on again and soon the issue comes back -- Airplane mode will keep it of as an option but is a pain if you are the trying to email or text a picture.
    I see no separate app for Gallery .. so i dunno how you can clear cache.

Finally, yeahhhhh QuickPic !!

That's a great solution for now...

J

Try going to the Gmail account(s) that's setup on your device. Uncheck sync with Picasa, if it's checked. Then go to Settings > Applications > All > Gallery.... then clear the cache and data.

My question is...how do I make the facebook albums go away? I feel that's whats slowing mine down.

sent using FlatBill Magic
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Inside gallery, hit menu, view by, content in device.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by phooker62890 View Post
    My question is...how do I make the facebook albums go away? I feel that's whats slowing mine down.

Try going into the settings of the Facebook app to disable syncing of photos. If they still appear after disabling it, you may have to clear cache from the Gallery app to remove any old photos or albums that were synced prior.

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post

Worked like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    Try going into the settings of the Facebook app to disable syncing of photos. If they still appear after disabling it, you may have to clear cache from the Gallery app to remove any old photos or albums that were synced prior.

I tried all of that. But that has to do with syncing from phone to fb...not fb to phone.

Thanked by:

Well it keeps switching back to showing fb pics.

Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Unfortunately that is the problem, you'd have to do it anytime, or unlink your fb account from your phone

Unfortunately that is the problem, you'd have to do it anytime, or unlink your fb account from your phone

Does quikpik do that?

In case people missed this...
    (edit) actually seems to only last in the current session. bugger.

Last edited by bacchusmarsh; 02-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.

And from another forum... re dropbox images

Under Settings / Personal / Cloud, the last two entries control synching images and/or videos. I had assumed these would prevent uploading images to Dropbox (they don't) but they work the other way around.

And turn off facebook photo sync in the android sync settings to do the same for it.

I have had this problem forever. Why doesn't the app get fixed? I will try clearing the cache and see if that helps. If problem continues, I will move away from Gallery and go to quickpic as well.
    The only way I can get it to work is to restart the phone. Note 2.

I managed to fix it once by simply unselecting all the photo sync options as it was constantly trying to download stuff from G+ etc, but just flashed a new rom and this time that fix doesn't work.
    It's a bit of a hassle, but removing and re-adding your google account sometimes fixes this as well.
    It is SERIOUSLY annoying though, and happens each time I upgrade my ROM. I usually manage to get around with the above things, but yeah... not this time. Might try to download and manually install the gallery apk and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by curney View Post
    Had this on my gs3. It was looking for folders on my other computers that were in the same wifi network. I never really figured it out except to turn off wifi. Keep us posted.
    You were definitely onto something. I started the app with Wi-Fi enabled and it was totally dying. On my Mac, I have Plex media server running. Quit Plex and the app immediately started acting normal. I kept the app running and restarted Plex and lo and behold it's crashing again.
    Kinda crappy since there doesn't seem to be a setting in the app to disable discovery of other devices, so I guess it will only work if no other devices are sharing media over the network

Can't find a fix for this other than disable your media server... but it's honestly poor on Samsung's behalf to not provide an option to disable this scanning feature.

BTW, this is the case despite what I mentioned in my previous post about syncing from G+ and such; that's all enabled at the moment and it's still working.

If anyone finds a fix let us know please! Perhaps there's a service that handles the device scanning that can be configured/disabled?

Quickpic for the win. Fast and smooth! Been having gallery issues ever since the 4.1.2 update. This is a good fix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast