Note 2 warm.

tkfisher

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Got my note 2 a week ago and loving it so far. The only thing I noticed is that after a couple of days, it started getting warm quite often, especially the top half of my screen where the processor is I assume. Now it's pretty warm whenever the phone is on and I'm just doing menial tasks. I do use nova launcher, and Tasker, and several things like that all the time. At least it's hot enough to heat up whatever surface my phone is laying on for a small amount of time, with having a case. Also, 1.2gb of ram or more is used without running any intensive apps. Just want to be sure this is normal, and I realize the note 2 is packed with features so that contributes to it. Thanks!

Also, which app is best to monitor temp and such with quad core phones, or does that even really matter? Thanks.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I use Gauge Battery Widget that shows me the battery percentage in the notification bar and will show me battery temp in the notification shade.

I've never gone above 35 degrees on the Note 2 and it overall runs much cooler than any phone I've ever owned. My E4GT would spike over 40 degrees all the time and run in the 30's. The Note 2 runs in the 20's 90% of the time.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Try gsam battery monitor, it'll both give you the temp and point you to what's using so much power (which is what causes the heat).

tkfisher

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My battery is running at about 33-35C and cpu is in the 40sC at idle, going over 50 with no intensive apps used. I've been keeping track of apps and nothing showing up as a clear culprit. The Andrid system takes up the mot battery usage and assume that's normal?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just for info, I have LTE, but are on wifi often. Warm is okay....to be EXPECTED at times. Moslty mine runs cool though.

tkfisher

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just for info, I have LTE, but are on wifi often. Warm is okay....to be EXPECTED at times. Moslty mine runs cool though.

Yeah, I hope I'm not overreacting. I'll admit I came from a Samsung Behold before this -- so basically have no experience in smart phones to compare it to. My main concern is not that the phone is getting warm/hot itself since I know phones do that sometimes but that it seems abnormal specifically with the Note 2 when most people are seeing temps under 40C even while gaming but mine spikes to over 50C when just using it to do menial tasks. Looking at gsam, does anyone know if picspeed wallpapers, zedge and such could cause higher temps? I realized I was not saving the wallpapers, ringtones, etc. on the phone but just running them through the apps. I don't know if that could cause this?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hope I'm not overreacting. I'll admit I came from a Samsung Behold before this -- so basically have no experience in smart phones to compare it to. My main concern is not that the phone is getting warm/hot itself since I know phones do that sometimes but that it seems abnormal specifically with the Note 2 when most people are seeing temps under 40C even while gaming but mine spikes to over 50C when just using it to do menial tasks. Looking at gsam, does anyone know if picspeed wallpapers, zedge and such could cause higher temps? I realized I was not saving the wallpapers, ringtones, etc. on the phone but just running them through the apps. I don't know if that could cause this?
If you suspect it, try using it withought? Can you post a screen shot of them temps please?

tkfisher

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Stopped using picspeed and such for the last 30 min and doesn't seem to make a difference so far. Here's a pic from System Tuner at idle and another two from gsam. Let me know if anything else will help.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355351729043.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355351729043.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355351792407.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355351792407.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
  • uploadfromtaptalk1355351817978.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355351817978.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 12

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, 45C is a "normal" operating temp for quad core soc's. If it gets close to high 50s or low 60s. maybe investigate further, but 50C doesn't even concern me. A warm environment like a front pocket can contribute, but I think you are okay. Reboot, and monitor....if it doesn't hit higher temps....then you should be fine.

the devastator

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine started doing this too after I rooted it. Turns out the app "wallswitch" that I was using to have a slideshow wallpaper was keeping my cpu awake a lot. I found out by checking in the settings and clicking battery and just seeing what is using the cpu

tkfisher

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess it did turn out to be an app that was causing it. It's running normal temps now (lows 30s) and I'm monitoring battery drain. I didn't realize just running picspeed wallpapers the way I was and probably one or two other apps would cause that but pretty sure it was the reason. Thanks for the input guys!