S Pen Use

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Without the s-pen all you have is a smartphone with a large screen. What distinguishes this phone from any other is that you have a full featured smartphone, an adequate sized tablet display, and an electronic notepad all in one device.

On every billboard advertising the Note, you always see the pen. That's because it's the pen that sets this device apart from any on the market today.

Countless times a day I need a quick pen and notepad. Sometimes to jot an idea; to write down a phone number; remember a task etc.

I was in the UPS store the other day, and I needed to jot down the tracking number of my shipment. The clerk asked me if I needed a pen to write down the number, I said no thanks. I pulled out my s-pen and jotted it down on my phone.

I was at a conference out of town last week and a colleague asked if I had a piece of paper to write down the name of the restaurant a group of us was planning to meet up at after the last session. I said sure and pulled out the s-pen and wrote down the information.

I was at my desk on Friday, the phone rang and instead of grabbing a traditional pen a paper, I jotted down the number of a customer using the s-pen of my phone. Later, when I went to call the customer back I didn't have the number scribbled on a post it note in my pocket, but rather right with me in my phone.

If you really think about how many times you scribble little thoughts or ideas on a piece of torn paper, napkin, back of a business card or whatever, and just switch those times to using the convenience of the Note 2, you'll be amazed how truly useful having the s-pen with you all the time really is.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Maybe it is just me but I didn't buy the phone for the pen feature. If the pen didn't come with this phone, I still would have bought it. The phone was a no brainer for me due to the large screen, fast processor, beautiful display, jelly bean, camera, large removeable battery, and a few Samsung software features I like such as "blocking mode".

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is just me but I didn't buy the phone for the pen feature. If the pen didn't come with this phone, I still would have bought it. The phone was a no brainer for me due to the large screen, fast processor, beautiful display, jelly bean, camera, large removeable battery, and a few Samsung software features I like such as "blocking mode".

@ Phoneguy108: I'm so sorry, I, along with a few others, obviously miss understood the reason for you starting this thread. I personally was under the impression you were looking for some real life examples of how the s-pen is used in everyday life because so far you hadn't seen a need to incorporate it into your daily routine. My fault!

I'm glad you enjoy the device even without using the s-pen. As you mentioned the Note 2 has some impressive hardware and software features irrespective of the s-pen. However, for me without the s-pen I could have chosen any number of impressive Android phones. In fact, for a brief while I even owned the Gs3 and HTC One X. But the s-pen is so vital to my personal needs that I will never buy another device without one.

But again, sorry for misunderstanding the purpose of your thread. I was just trying to be helpful.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
@DAS:
Actually, your list of various ways to use the S-pen is helpful. I just wish I could select a default note style that would pop up (instead of the buddy page) each time I pull out the pen. Sometimes during work, I have no time to consider which style of note I need to use, and a list format is always appropo for my needs.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
@DAS:
Actually, your list of various ways to use the S-pen is helpful. I just wish I could select a default note style that would pop up (instead of the buddy page) each time I pull out the pen. Sometimes during work, I have no time to consider which style of note I need to use, and a list format is always appropo for my needs.

Thank you hummingbirdhill. I appreciate at that.

Oh yes. I can see how your suggestion would be useful. It is a little annoying to always have to choose the template. In my case if it just defaulted to the frequently used template it would save me a step.

However, having more to choose from like a list template in your case would be really helpful.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
@ Phoneguy108: I'm so sorry, I, along with a few others, obviously miss understood the reason for you starting this thread. I personally was under the impression you were looking for some real life examples of how the s-pen is used in everyday life because so far you hadn't seen a need to incorporate it into your daily routine. My fault!

I'm glad you enjoy the device even without using the s-pen. As you mentioned the Note 2 has some impressive hardware and software features irrespective of the s-pen. However, for me without the s-pen I could have chosen any number of impressive Android phones. In fact, for a brief while I even owned the Gs3 and HTC One X. But the s-pen is so vital to my personal needs that I will never buy another device without one.

But again, sorry for misunderstanding the purpose of your thread. I was just trying to be helpful.

I found your suggestions and examples helpful. :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

No need to be sorry. I was just trying to generate some good conversation and I was sucessful in doing so! Thanks again for all your input. I appreciate it!

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the spen...i use it all of the time. i am flashing back to the beginning of time when we all had pdas. try the handwriting recognition.....love it. i find myself making more quick notes in meetings and such than ever before.

Analyss14

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I honestly didn't think I would use the spen as much as I have so far. I'm in grad school and I have to read a lot of articles and journals. I appreciate the fact that I don't have to buy a lot of books for classes because most of our reading is sourced through scholarly journals but sometimes I have reams and reams of printed articles and some of them are too thick to staple so it just becomes I giant mess. Since I got the note II, I've been using ezPDF for all my articles. I download it to the phone and mark it as I read. It's great and I love that it maintains the page info. I use this feature everyday.

Also the other day, I drove past a house with a for sale sign and I know this is bad but I slowed down the car and pulled the spen out and scribbled the realtor's info all without looking at the screen. It wasn't the neatest note but it was legible and I didn't have to look down at the keyboard.

One of the biggest things I love about the spen (not counting the above) was actually one I hadn't considered. I love gaming but I don't use my phone for graphic intensive games (I leave that for the consoles) and one thing I hate is that sometimes you play a game with touch controls but your fingers obscure what you're touching or dragging. Playing machinarium with the spen has been a pleasure. Dragging items from the inventory or selecting an item in the background that is very small is easier. It's great for most point and click games.

Biggest Con:
A lot of the apps I would like to use the spen with have not implemented any kind of palm rejection and with the screen size of the note II I find my wrist gets uncomfortable quicker when I try to write without resting my hand on the phone surface.

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not have this phone yet, but I am going to go pick it up today from a store that has it for $249.88, But every time I played with this phone, guess what, I took that little pen right out of it's little hiding space and played with it. I just can't wait till I get it. I'm so excited.

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I hope you discover what you're missing. The s-pen is the power of the Note. Most people do not instinctively reach for their phone when they need to write something, but if you challenge yourself to do just that for a week or so you will soon wonder how you ever got along without it.

I was a lunch with a new friend today, and she was sharing with me a website she has with some of her artwork. Instead of asking the waitress for pen, and scribbling the web address on a napkin, I just used my phone.

It's become an integral part of my life.

I think people are not using their s pens because they dont know how. Photo app is missing, ect. It would be be nice if someone could list step by step instructions on s pen usage

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I love the spen...i use it all of the time. i am flashing back to the beginning of time when we all had pdas. try the handwriting recognition.....love it. i find myself making more quick notes in meetings and such than ever before.
Haha, I remember taking weeks to learn Palm Graffiti - even had the sticker on the back of my Pilot in case I forgot a letter - and this is SO much easier and faster. I haven't typed a text for days.

The only downside is it gets the case mixed up, and the problem with L, l, I, and 1 getting confused. But I still need to do a little more work on my part.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Without the s-pen all you have is a smartphone with a large screen. What distinguishes this phone from any other is that you have a full featured smartphone, an adequate sized tablet display, and an electronic notepad all in one device.

On every billboard advertising the Note, you always see the pen. That's because it's the pen that sets this device apart from any on the market today.

Countless times a day I need a quick pen and notepad. Sometimes to jot an idea; to write down a phone number; remember a task etc.

I was in the UPS store the other day, and I needed to jot down the tracking number of my shipment. The clerk asked me if I needed a pen to write down the number, I said no thanks. I pulled out my s-pen and jotted it down on my phone.

I was at a conference out of town last week and a colleague asked if I had a piece of paper to write down the name of the restaurant a group of us was planning to meet up at after the last session. I said sure and pulled out the s-pen and wrote down the information.

I was at my desk on Friday, the phone rang and instead of grabbing a traditional pen a paper, I jotted down the number of a customer using the s-pen of my phone. Later, when I went to call the customer back I didn't have the number scribbled on a post it note in my pocket, but rather right with me in my phone.

If you really think about how many times you scribble little thoughts or ideas on a piece of torn paper, napkin, back of a business card or whatever, and just switch those times to using the convenience of the Note 2, you'll be amazed how truly useful having the s-pen with you all the time really is.

You could have done all those things with your camera. Take a picture of the info you need instead of writing it down. Or write it down and take a picture. Less errors also.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
But still no REAL suggestions on how to use it... I mean, sure, note taking is 'cool' I guess, but I still haven't found an app that TRULY takes advantage of the S Pen... And no one seems to be giving any other suggestions than note-taking and (oddly) Draw Something... Mine is still neatly tucked behind the device most of the time...

Samsung Interactive Tutorial
specifically the spen section....gestures, scrolling, air view, handwriting recognition, i like the feature to write notes etc.on the back of pictures...i like the view of the calendar where you can write directly on the days.....i'm sure as we go on we will find even more.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You could have done all those things with your camera. Take a picture of the info you need instead of writing it down. Or write it down and take a picture. Less errors also.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I could record meetings with a tape recorder instead of writing notes.

I could collect business cards instead of writing down a colleagues number or email address.

I could ask my assistant to print all PDF's and have me sign with a ball park pen instead of emailing them to me and I sign using Soonr Scribble when I'm away from the office.

Or I could refuse to be brainwashed by technology companies altogether concerning smartphones/tablets/gadgets and use a simple flip phone with no added features.

But while all those alternatives, and the ones you mentioned, are an option, what fun would that be? New technology is a joy to learn and use. I have used the Galaxy Note since the original came to the states in February, and have incorporated the s-pen into all of my everyday life.

I also own the Note 10.1, and use the tablet just as extensively.

So yes, while there is always more than one way to accomplish a task, when it comes to the Note 2, I will typically opt to use the S-pen as my preferred method to get things done. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it other than to wrote a rare yet random note. I don't see a point to use it but its nice to have it either way.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon