Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree400Likes

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    This sounds like a joke. To get a movie on iPad you do 2 steps. Open App Store then download movie. I can't see had that would be hard. To download your personal movies you just go to movie location and drag it to iTunes then sync. It can't get any easier.
    Oh I agree yet this appears to be far too difficult for many people.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Default When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

Every movie I rent I rip with DVD fab and save as mp4. I can add to my iPad or my kid's Nexus 7 anytime. Sim tire 100's of movies on an external hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeYou View Post
    I am not Brad. Anyhow, I am not sure why you interpreted my statement the way you did. I said environment.
    Oops, sorry.

I guess I took environment to mean the OS because you were comparing it to Windows. Otherwise, what did your comparison mean?

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Oh I agree yet this appears to be far too difficult for many people.

Is difficult because unlike Android, you have to convert half of your videos to get them to actually work! On my Nexus 7, using MX player, I can play almost anything!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by TomsAndroid View Post
    Is difficult because unlike Android, you have to convert half of your videos to get them to actually work! On my Nexus 7, using MX player, I can play almost anything!
    It makes me sad when people post from ignorance.

On your Nexus 7, using a third party app, you can play almost anything. On my iPad, using any one of dozens of third party apps (Azul and CineXplayer are the two I have used), I can play almost anything.

This difference is that on iOS, if you do happen to convert your video to a specific format, there is a built in app that will read the Meta-info to organize your video files into Tv shows and movies and display all sorts of helpful information.

There are many reason to choose Android over iOS, but the ease of transferring, organizing and playing video is not one of them.
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post

On your Nexus 7, using a third party app, you can play almost anything. On my iPad, using any one of dozens of third party apps (Azul and CineXplayer are the two I have used), I can play almost anything.

This difference is that on iOS, if you do happen to convert your video to a specific format, there is a built in app that will read the Meta-info to organize your video files into Tv shows and movies and display all sorts of helpful information.

There are many reason to choose Android over iOS, but the ease of transferring, organizing and playing video is not one of them.
    If anyone is ignorant, it's you. On my iPod, I struggled to get my home movies to even sync to iTunes itself! I had to first convert them to get them to even show up, and then sync it across. I'd certainly say this is harder than simply dragging and dropping straight to the movie folder on Android. And as far as info, going into properties on Android gives my plenty. And also, the movie app automatically scans my device to include the videos no matter where I put them.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by:
    1812dave likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I agree with Tom. Every time I've tried to copy movie files to my kids ipods or a friends iPad its been nasty. In fact 90% of the time the video won't play unless it's a avi format. Mkv is a lost cause. You actually have to convert the converted files. I've had home videos that I've had to spend 2 hours converting when it always played natively on my transformer prime.

Android Evangelist
    Thanked by:
    1812dave and TomsAndroid like this.

I agree with Tom. Every time I've tried to copy movie files to my kids ipods or a friends iPad its been nasty. In fact 90% of the time the video won't play unless it's a avi format. Mkv is a lost cause. You actually have to convert the converted files. I've had home videos that I've had to spend 2 hours converting when it always played natively on my transformer prime.

It is unnecessarily cumbersome! Much easier to work with native files on Android by far!

My sister had my dad purchase an ipad 2 at the beginning of 2012 and she never put any of my dads movies or music on it. I make my dad get a Note 2 last week and I put in it 10 movies in full 720p and 10 gigs worth of his jazz music! My sister cannot compete with me with digital media!! lol
    Thanked by 2:
    1812dave and TomsAndroid like this.

Oops, sorry.

I guess I took environment to mean the OS because you were comparing it to Windows. Otherwise, what did your comparison mean?
    Just meant a windows-based PC is the lesser of two evils.

Just meant a windows-based PC is the lesser of two evils.
    Different strokes, I guess. I worked, played and developed on Windows PCs for about 20 years. About 7 years ago, I switched to Macs, and my life has been much easier. I no longer need to reload the OS every year or so to clean out the cruft, and my experiences with the OS panicing have been almost non-existant. I have never in seven years run into a situation where I needed my OS discs because the computer wouldn't boot. I haven't run a virus scanner in seven years, and I have had no issues at all.

I know a lot of people who like to trash the Mac environment, but its almost always people who have never used it, so I have trouble taking their opinion too seriously.

And before anyone bothers to call me some sort of name, I switched from iOS to Android two months ago so you are going to have trouble with getting a fanboy label to stick.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Different strokes, I guess. I worked, played and developed on Windows PCs for about 20 years. About 7 years ago, I switched to Macs, and my life has been much easier. I no longer need to reload the OS every year or so to clean out the cruft, and my experiences with the OS panicing have been almost non-existant. I have never in seven years run into a situation where I needed my OS discs because the computer wouldn't boot. I haven't run a virus scanner in seven years, and I have had no issues at all.

I know a lot of people who like to trash the Mac environment, but its almost always people who have never used it, so I have trouble taking their opinion too seriously.

And before anyone bothers to call me some sort of name, I switched from iOS to Android two months ago so you are going to have trouble with getting a fanboy label to stick.
    You won't get any name calling from me. Macs definitely are a bit less maintenance, but we routinely still do have to do a clean and reset on ours every couple of years. I rarely have to do that on my PC anymore, but sometimes I do just to get a fresh start and reorganize. The one thing I have noticed is that "most" Mac users tend to be less broad in their list of software which tend to minimize crap that gets installed. In our office and most Mac users I know just use a lot of pre installed programs along with MS Office and the Adobe suite and that's about it. The list of available software isn't as big so there less problems. I know there are others that go beyond this, but most don't. PC users install all kinds of crapware which causes issues.

As for viruses there are more surfacing for Macs now that they are gaining more popularity so don't take it for granted based on the last decade.

Android Evangelist
    WannaBeYou likes this.

Only people who click on stupid stuff like "win a free ipad" get viruses. If you don't look at stupid stuff or open spam email, you won't get a virus on a pc. I haven't had one since I was a dumb middle school kid. And I don't run any anti virus software cuz it slows your pc down

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Razr ics rooted
    Thanked by:
    TvTechGuru likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by kgk1985 View Post
    Only people who click on stupid stuff like "win a free ipad" get viruses. If you don't look at stupid stuff or open spam email, you won't get a virus on a pc. I haven't had one since I was a dumb middle school kid. And I don't run any anti virus software cuz it slows your pc down

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    I agree, but add not using IE as a browser to that list. Some of the malware that was coming in from IE 7 and 8 was nasty.

Android Evangelist
    Thanked by:
    TvTechGuru likes this.

ROM
    ViperOne

So much of that is just on the user. My PC is a Pentium 4 running XP and my parents bought that computer when it was brand new and I think that computer is nearing 10 years old it is running perfectly for an old bird. I have no idea where my OS discs are or if I even had those discs and all I have is a firewall and ad blocker running on that computer. Clicking on the hot girl offering you free stuff isn't Apple or Microsoft's fault. One of my close friends tried to fix the media share between his PC and 360 by deleting registry entries and never made a backup... Apple and Microsoft can only do so much to protect whoever is derping on the other side of the monitor from themselves.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Thanked by:

I haven't run a virus scanner in seven years, and I have had no issues at all.
    well the virus issues are Internet Explorer issues. Just don't use IE. I use Chrome; its fast and I don't have a virus scanner and I haven't had viruses since I switched to Chrome.

Also, *part* of the reason that IE attracts so many virus-writing criminals is because it is the most widely used browser out there. Criminals get more bang for their buck if they write viruses for IE. If other browsers were used as often as IE, more criminals would write viruses to attack those browsers. It is all about the numbers.

Well I have certainly used Macs and don't prefer them. Some of that is just me liking what I am familiar with no doubt, but when I ask Mac users what it is they like about a Mac it is typically a feature that is available in Windows or not something that appeals to me or something that I like how Windows does it better anyhow.

So what exactly is it that a Mac does better than a windows-based machine in your opinion?

No one has called you a name. However, you are quite defensive about apple. Again, I am no fan of windows, but I don't like apple products either. I don't photoshop and do graphics intensive computing and perhaps if I did, I would feel otherwise.

And I hated the iPod that was given to me as a gift - it has the MOST unintuitive user interface that could have been designed.
    Last edited by WannaBeYou; 01-01-2013 at 09:11 PM.

I always laugh when Mac users try and use viruses as a way of making PC seem inferior. Macs get them too, but hackers who are worth their salt don't use Macs so it isn't mentioned much. Plus I use a free anti-virus I got off Avast's website and have never had a single virus on any PC.

I know no-one has made such a claim here, but it's still relevant and I just felt like adding in my 2 cents on the subject.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    TheOtherBill and WannaBeYou like this.

The list of available software isn't as big so there less problems. I know there are others that go beyond this, but most don't. PC users install all kinds of crapware which causes issues.
    yep, it is all about the numbers. More people using an OS, means more people writing software for an OS, means more opportunities for you to eff up your machine when you install the myriad choices of software programs. There is nothing inherently wrong with the windows registry - the problems come in when software writes to the registry and/or when you uninstall a program and it doesn't clean itself out from the registry.
    Thanked by:

yep, it is all about the numbers. More people using an OS, means more people writing software for an OS, means more opportunities for you to eff up your machine when you install the myriad choices of software programs. There is nothing inherently wrong with the windows registry - the problems come in when software writes to the registry and/or when you uninstall a program and it doesn't clean itself out from the registry.
    Technology is only as good as the person behind it/using it.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    Technology is only as good as the person behind it/using it.
    especially when you have an OS like Windows XP in which you have free reign as a user with no hoops to jump over to delete/modify, etc. critical system files and the registry. All you have to do is unhide the system files or enter the registry editor and voila, you can eff up your machine quite easily if you don't know what you are doing.

I know, I have done it more times that I would l like to admit.

especially when you have an OS like Windows XP in which you have free reign as a user with no hoops to jump over to delete/modify, etc. critical system files and the registry. All you have to do is unhide the system files or enter the registry editor and voila, you can eff up your machine quite easily if you don't know what you are doing.

I know, I have done it more times that I would l like to admit.
    Oh man I loved Windows XP so much. Vista is easily among the worst things imaginable and 7 is definitely so much better but it lacks the freedom of XP which I miss.

WannaBeYou likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    Oh man I loved Windows XP so much. Vista is easily among the worst things imaginable and 7 is definitely so much better but it lacks the freedom of XP which I miss.
    When I bought my mom a vista machine and tried to get to some lower level OS folders and was DENIED permission I hit the roof. Then it was not easy at all to figure out how to change the permissions even though I was logged on as the administrator. What a piece of crap Vista is!

When I bought my mom a vista machine and tried to get to some lower level OS folders and was DENIED permission I hit the roof. Then it was not easy at all to figure out how to change the permissions even though I was logged on as the administrator. What a piece of crap Vista is!
    I had that problem so many times. The worst part was it didn't come up often so each time it did I forgot how to fix it so I'd have to look up the answer again. I immediately put XP back on it.

WannaBeYou likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I'm running Windows 8 and quite like it.

Android Evangelist

My home PC is running Vista. Ugh! We'll upgrade to W8 soon though.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by TomsAndroid View Post
    My home PC is running Vista. Ugh! We'll upgrade to W8 soon though.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    At least put Win7 on that, sheesh....lol!!
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast