Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree400Likes

Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post

Well when I recently did a reset on my phone and tablet I was asked if I would like to install all of my paid apps. I said yes and they all were installed for me. I think you have to make sure you have the backup info checked off in your settings. It may not be that way by default.
    Its weird. I needed to go from a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 to a Verizon one. (Reminder to self: Never use T-Mobile again.) I made sure backup was checked, I made sure I had synced. I turned off the T-Mobile Phone.

I turned on the Verizon phone. I logged in to google and it didn't restore anything. I started installing apps and it never restored any app data. Fortunately, the most complicated ones (Nova Launcher, gReader Pro, Widgetlocker) all allow you to manually backup and restore your app setup, and I didn't have much other data that wasn't on the SD card or the cloud.

Still, I would have been much happier if it had worked the way yours worked.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    But I think you should root your phone. You sound bright enough and into it. I did it on my phone in a few minutes. Watched a YouTube video. It opens a lot of new doors.

Then you can use Titanium Backup.
    Thanks. I'm thinking about it, but I don't want to brick something I have to pay for service on for for the next 2 years.

when hell freezes over.

I pull out my Note 2 at a party this weekend...a clueless woman asks,"is that an ipad mini". sigh...
    Samsung Note 2 and Gear 2
    MERCDROID likes this.

I moved from iPhone5 to note 2

I am a computer geek and I hated how apple restricted user with everyting, the lack of JB on the iphone5 and the chip in the lighting cable made me mad enough to switch to the Note 2.

However, my 3 years old daughter know how to use the iPhone when she was 2.5 years old. She knows how to unlock by swipe and my 4 digit password, goto her games page with all the apps and open and close app as she please. She can't do it with my Note2.

There are good reason why people love the iPhone, not just fanboi or status thing.... It makes computer dumb people feel smart, my grandmother can face time my 3 years old without my help
    Heifzilla likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    There's definite advantages. But they aren't big enough to justify the freaky weird obsession that exists. Every OS has its pro's and con's but only Apple has the creepy over the top disciples.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Thank you for making the point in my OP much more clearly and succinctly than I did!

Every OS has its pro's and con's but only Apple has the creepy over the top disciples.
    If you really believe that, you really need to get out more. The one constant across every platform (mobile and desktop) is that they all have creepy over the top disciples.
    Heifzilla, nj1266 and MERCDROID like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    If you really believe that, you really need to get out more. The one constant across every platform (mobile and desktop) is that they all have creepy over the top disciples.
    NO other device has the same level of obsessive disciples that Apple does. At least not over a span of multiple devices. You may find a company releases a device or two where people will swear up and down that nothing else competes. But then you have the apple disciples that act that way over the span of 6 or 7 devices. It wont matter WHAT else comes out, they will always blindly swear by the fruit. I for one absolutely was in love with Motorola Droids. I loved my Bionic and I loved my Razr Maxx. And I would argue up one side and down the other that they were better than people were saying. But then the S3 came out and I realized that Moto actually isn't that great in a lot of ways. So I switched because it was obvious who is better. In my associations, the Apple disciples are by far the worst at actually doing their research to find out which device is ACTUALLY the top of the line and which one is the best value for their money.

You can't try to dictate my experience. It's cool if you've seen it other ways, I am just sharing what I myself have witnessed. And it has nothing to do with "getting out". What is it on these forums about that being the go-to response? "You need to get out of mom's basement" or "I have a life unlike you". Man those are getting old. It's like people have these insecurities about themselves and they try to overcompensate by shifting the focus on other people just because they disagree with a statement...
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.

Where I think its harder it in three specific areas.

1) Setting up the phone for the first time (If you arn't exclusively using gmail for mail/calendar/tasks)
    Wouldn't this be the same as saying "Setting up the iPhone is hard unless you are using iTunes. Just like iPhone goes with iTunes, Android goes with Google (Gmail).

Anyway I agree with what some have said, use what you like. I don't care how many iPhones I see around. My wife has a iPhone and I bought her a iPad for Christmas because that what she likes and uses. I bought my 9 year old son a Nexus 7 for Christmas because at that size I like it better for my money then a iPad Mini and he doesn't have a iTunes account with tons of music etc.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

I tried helping my wife several times get songs on her iPhone that she already had on her iPod. I'm very tech savvy...except I guess when it comes to Apple and iTunes. I couldn't for the life of me get her songs onto her phone. I got a few of them on...I think the ones she had already ordered through iTunes. And I followed the instructions for provisioning the "up to 5" devices (I have an iPad too but am not interested in getting music on it). As for all the songs we already had pre-iTunes? Fugettaboutit. I tried some 3rd party workaround apps but had no real luck. I finally just gave up and told her to use her iPod when she wants to listen to music.

Like I said, I'm a techno-geek and spend many hours a week reading and posting on tech blogs and messing with computers and gadgets. But when it came to her iPhone and iTunes, I was about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,835 Global Posts

With the "general public" - as in my friends and family that don't follow tech closely, I see the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note (1 and 2) slowly getting to that level of recognition and affinity.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.

NO other device has the same level of obsessive disciples that Apple does. At least not over a span of multiple devices. You may find a company releases a device or two where people will swear up and down that nothing else competes. But then you have the apple disciples that act that way over the span of 6 or 7 devices. It wont matter WHAT else comes out, they will always blindly swear by the fruit. I for one absolutely was in love with Motorola Droids. I loved my Bionic and I loved my Razr Maxx. And I would argue up one side and down the other that they were better than people were saying. But then the S3 came out and I realized that Moto actually isn't that great in a lot of ways. So I switched because it was obvious who is better. In my associations, the Apple disciples are by far the worst at actually doing their research to find out which device is ACTUALLY the top of the line and which one is the best value for their money.
    My experience is that Android fans think that Apple fans are nutjobs, Apple fans think that Android fans are nut jobs, Windows fans think they both are crazy. The one thing for sure we can all agree on is that RIM fans are psychos. It looks to me like everyone thinks that they are reasonable but that everyone else is over the top crazy.

I'm new to to Android, but I obviously love it. That doesn't stop people from getting upset with me if I say anything negative about it. I think everyone would do better if they just calmed down a bit. Just my opinion.

You can't try to dictate my experience. It's cool if you've seen it other ways, I am just sharing what I myself have witnessed. And it has nothing to do with "getting out". What is it on these forums about that being the go-to response? "You need to get out of mom's basement" or "I have a life unlike you". Man those are getting old. It's like people have these insecurities about themselves and they try to overcompensate by shifting the focus on other people just because they disagree with a statement...
    Just to be clear, I wasn't taking a shot at you with "you need to get out more". I was just using it as an expression. Not that I don't take a shot when I am posting sometimes, but I wasn't doing that now.
    MERCDROID likes this.

Okay I got ya. That definitely makes sense. And I do agree that even Android fans can get a little nuts, which is why I pointed out that I was crazy about Motorola there for a while. But then I realized that there was better options. Not that Motorola doesn't make good phones, but there were better options that fit my needs better. Which in my family and group of friends, I wish the iPhone users were more willing to give other devices a shot. My android using friends tend to be more willing to be experimental. But again, that's just my personal experience.
    MERCDROID likes this.

ROM
    ViperOne

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    With the "general public" - as in my friends and family that don't follow tech closely, I see the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note (1 and 2) slowly getting to that level of recognition and affinity.
    For my area at least I can add the One X and Razr phones. Of course I'm not sure just how "normal" the students are on my campus with all the jailbroken and rooted phones floating around. Maybe it's because of all the gamers that take classes here.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,835 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Real X Dawg View Post
    For my area at least I can add the One X and Razr phones. Of course I'm not sure just how "normal" the students are on my campus with all the jailbroken and rooted phones floating around. Maybe it's because of all the gamers that take classes here.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Should have mentioned the RAZR. Where I'm from, the RAZR line (mainly the first DROID RAZR MAXX) was far ahead of the latest Samsungs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Its weird. I needed to go from a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 to a Verizon one. (Reminder to self: Never use T-Mobile again.) I made sure backup was checked, I made sure I had synced. I turned off the T-Mobile Phone.

I turned on the Verizon phone. I logged in to google and it didn't restore anything. I started installing apps and it never restored any app data. Fortunately, the most complicated ones (Nova Launcher, gReader Pro, Widgetlocker) all allow you to manually backup and restore your app setup, and I didn't have much other data that wasn't on the SD card or the cloud.

Still, I would have been much happier if it had worked the way yours worked.

Thanks. I'm thinking about it, but I don't want to brick something I have to pay for service on for for the next 2 years.
    Strange because I have done it on numerous devices.

But rooting definitely makes it easier. And honestly, I am no rooting or roming expert and managed to do it with very little difficulty. Just take a day on the weekend to watch a few videos etc. you will see how it's all done. I believe it is much harder to really screw up your phone and never get it back compared to a couple of years ago. A fiend of mine soft bricked his phone last week when trying to update his phone using "Krappy Kies" and it work not work. All he got was a logo and it wouldn't do anything. I spend a few hours looking online and managed to restore it and bring it back to stock. I would think if I had a bit more experience it wouldn't even take an hour to fix it.

But rooting is not even close to this difficult. There are some risks, but I think you should give it a go!
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
    It has.
    Apple has peaked, right now they're like Wiley Coyote running off the top of the cliff. Take a look at all the reviews out there comparing i5 vs S III or Note 2. Look at sales trends the last 2 months. Check out how many people on this forum have switched over from iphones. Apple will hang on but unless they improve greatly with the i6 even the general non-tech population will begin abandoning them. IMO, their old reputation - and all the people stuck on iTunes - is what's saving them.

Ease of use for non-tech folks? Keep your eye on Microsoft stealing those customers.

There will always be fanbois both in the general public and in the media. Then again, Betamax still has fans too ...
    Long story short, Apple is making the EXACT SAME mistake RIM did. They got to the top, let it get to their heads thinking no-one could ever beat them and in their arrogance have slowly begun having their throne stolen away beneath them while someone else has been building it with those pieces for themselves and laughing at them as they do it. In this case, Android.

Whether or not Apple smartens up and actually does something new (and i mean actually make an iPhone that's noticeably different) like RIM did with the BB10 (and hopefully it's as good as it sounds), remains to be seen.

For me personally, I will never buy anything with an Apple logo on it. To them, you buy and own the product but you use it the way Apple wants you to, unless you jailbreak it, you can't customize it at all and customization is a huge thing for me and lots of others. Plus I can't stand that small screen after being with Android. But that's just me.
    Last edited by xlDeMoNiClx; 12-10-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Thanked by:
    TheOtherBill likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

BB is dead. I feel sorry for them, but it is over. Even they know it. One of the things I last saw was that they are looking to get rid of the hardware and concentrate on the software. If they do that can come out with something stunning, i mean really stunning, they can continue to exist for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    BB is dead. I feel sorry for them, but it is over. Even they know it. One of the things I last saw was that they are looking to get rid of the hardware and concentrate on the software. If they do that can come out with something stunning, i mean really stunning, they can continue to exist for a while.
    You haven't seen anything about RIM for a while then, because what is being leaked daily about the BB10 phones is exciting to see. I look forward to January 31 because I will always have a soft spot for Research in Motion.

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

yeah I have and there is really nothing all that great that they have shown so far. What fastburst mode? Calender? flow? the keyboard?

I have a soft spot for them as well, but its time to stick a fork in them..

I know January is the "hard" release date, but they have had a few of those already...I am sure Jan 30th is it though. I think the date slippage from before was to hopefully get some investors and/or sell off the hardware

ROM
    CM10 M1

I wouldn't really call iOS intuitive. I think android is head and shoulders more intuitive than iOS ever will be. At least in ICS and up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.

ROM
    None

Maybe its just my neck of the woods (DC) but it appears it already has ended here. Everyone that sees my Note 2 has hearts pouring from their eyes like the cartoons. Many of which who use iPhones and want to figure out how they can add a line or steal another person's upgrade to get one.

Its also the 1st Android I've owned (out of maybe 20) that people identify immediately without me having to tell them what it was.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
    Thanked by:

I have no beef with iPhone. I like what they've done and because of it all, this Android goodness started. I wouldn't mind trying the iPhone5 out on a 2yr contract but am quite comfortable with my SGS3. It all depends on the person honestly. I prefer Android because I'm a heavy Google user and would hate to start over with my app purchases.
    Thanked by 2:
    badbrad17Ry 

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    Maybe its just my neck of the woods (DC) but it appears it already has ended here. Everyone that sees my Note 2 has hearts pouring from their eyes like the cartoons. Many of which who use iPhones and want to figure out how they can add a line or steal another person's upgrade to get one.

Its also the 1st Android I've owned (out of maybe 20) that people identify immediately without me having to tell them what it was.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I had one of my 14 year old daughters friends say the other day that he wants a SGS3. All the kids are typically Apple fans. It was the first time I'd heard any younger person say they wanted one.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

my son did the same thing. He could have had the iP4s (though he knew I was not going to do a whole lot of support for it) or the sgs3....he chose wisely, unlike his sister...
    bigoldthor and badbrad17 like this.

Global Posts
    2,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

The new iTunes seem to be less of a mess now.
    Currently sitting WITHOUT phone envy...

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    The new iTunes seem to be less of a mess now.
    Ya I think it is better. A few things I liked about the old one but its a music player for me. Not too complicated.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast