Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 844
Like Tree400Likes
  1. #76  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    there is one seriously wrong thing with the new iTunes

    it's iTunes
    Thanked by 3:
    Cmatt1971 likes this.
  2. #77  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    I don't get the iTunes hate. I've used iTunes way before I even owned an apple product, and will continue to do so. I loathe Kies and when I had a creative zen vision m, the creative organizer was coded by monkeys.

    I've always found iTunes intuitive and easy to use. *shrug*

    Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style
    Thanked by 2:
    badbrad17Ry 
  3. #78  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    It will stop when naive customers (like one my siblings) become extinct because after all a naive customer is Apple's best customer.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    TheOtherBill likes this.
  4. #79  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    There are iPhone and Android zealots, I don't understand either.
    I have a friend who is an iPhone zealot. No matter what I tell him that's cool about Android, if the iPhone can't do it he basically says it's either stupid or not needed. Believe it or not he said that about copy/paste and mms before the iPhone gained that capability.

    The iPhone is obviously a decent device. With every single review I read about the iPhone the number one reason they all love it is "it's ease of use". That perplexes me because Android isn't difficult by any means.

    Being able to completely backup/restore an iPhone is awesome, especially when compared to having to root, flash a custom recovery and perform a nandroid backup. There really does need to be a way to backup/restore an android device without root and without having to redo the setup for each app.

    That is my only real issue I see with Android, however, it is an issue that Android zealots can't admit.

    On a side note, each Android phone I've owned (Droid 2, Droid X, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2), as soon as I plugged the device into my PC, Windows installed the drivers and it showed up as a drive.
    I never once had to do anything special to get my PC to recognize an Android device.
    Thanked by 2:
    nj1266Ry 
  5. #80  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,715 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    And yet, Google has come out with an app (AndroidFileTransfer) specifically designed for people who can't "just plug in their Android phone and copy to and from with no issue".

    And even then, searching for "problems syncing my phone with android file transfer" comes up with 3 and a half million hits on google.

    Airdroid wasn't released because people preferred to sync over Wifi, Airdroid was released because people couldn't find another way to get it to work.
    Apple has a multi-billion dollar ad campaign associating their product with "easy". They have their devices shown front-and-center constantly on pretty much every single TV show out there. They have stores with dedicated employees making sure that anyone who finds Apple complicated can walk in and walk back out $5,000 poorer and committed to a 2-year overpriced postpaid phone plan but with a computer they know how to use and a phone that pairs with it perfectly in their possession.

    A lot of people don't WANT to "Google it". They don't WANT freedom. They want easy. They want it all pre-configured. They want to be able to slap a CD or DVD into their Windows or Mac computer, watch a video of how to plug in their cable, wait ten minutes, enter their credit card number and agree to pay a bunch of money, and have it all work without having to learn what those complicated terms like USB and WiFi mean. They just want to take the phone thingy and plug the big end of the cable thingy into it and plug the little end into the box thingy that has something to do with the iTunes and watch a message that says "your data is backed up, thank you for plugging thingies correctly."

    Until Android starts really telling people how easy it is to use, and maybe gets a few things figured out like backing up application data natively, iOS will have a secure place in comsumer's hearts and minds.

    And that's OK. That means fewer competitors on Ingress.
    Thanked by:
    bigoldthor, nj1266, MrMLK and 1 others like this.
  6. #81  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,715 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    I've always found iTunes intuitive and easy to use. *shrug*
    I found it intuitive and easy to use, but extremely slow on Windows and very demanding of resources.

    Of course, most people don't notice when their computer slows down and aren't sure if it was that "your computer is infected by a virus" pop-up they forgot they clicked on last week, the 47 add-on toolbars to Internet Explorer, or the 100MB in iTunes background services running to detect when your iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc are plugged in so you don't have to click anything. When it slows down, they take it in to Best Buy who tells them they need a new computer after charging a $150 diagnostic fee, and they buy a new internet appliance and move on.

    On Linux, iTunes is a lot less resource intensive. Mainly because it can't run on Linux. But there are very few of us on Linux.
    bigoldthor likes this.
  7. #82  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Wouldn't this be the same as saying "Setting up the iPhone is hard unless you are using iTunes. Just like iPhone goes with iTunes, Android goes with Google (Gmail).
    Not exactly. On an iPhone, I can give my mail credentials once for google and once for exchange, and everything shows up correctly in contacts, tasks,calendar, and mail.

    On my Note, I have to use different programs for gmail and exchange mail, a third program (that also needed my exchange account information) for tasks, and then 3 more programs (K9 Mail, Pure Notifications and Widgetlocker) in order to see my new email on my lock screen. And of course, to use those three, I had to enter my account information for gmail and exchange again.

    Now, I don't mind doing that because the Note is much more configurable, and frankly, I had a good time trying out a bunch of programs to get it to work exactly the way I wanted.

    But many people are very happy with the simplicity and less configurability of the iPhone, because it will work well enough for them.
    nj1266 likes this.
  8. #83  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,715 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    I saw this the other day (from a different source, so I don't know where it came from originally), entitled "the real reason we use Linux", and it applies (albeit somewhat less) to Android as well. Which makes sense because Android is a Linux variant.

    The REAL reason we use Linux

    "We tell people we use Linux because its secure. Or because its free, because its customizable, because its free (the other meaning), because it has excellent community support

    But all of that is just marketing bull. We tell that to non-Linuxers because they wouldnt understand the real reason. And when we say those false reasons enough, we might even start to believe them ourselves.

    But deep underneath, the real reason remains.

    We use Linux because its fun!

    Its fun to tinker with your system. Its fun to change all the settings, break the system, then have to go to recovery mode to repair it. Its fun to have over a hundred distros to choose from. Its fun to use the command line.

    Let me say that again. Its fun to use the command line.

    No wonder non-Linuxers wouldnt understand."
    Thanked by 2:
  9. #84  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    I saw this the other day (from a different source, so I don't know where it came from originally), entitled "the real reason we use Linux", and it applies (albeit somewhat less) to Android as well. Which makes sense because Android is a Linux variant.

    The REAL reason we use Linux

    "We tell people we use Linux because its secure. Or because its free, because its customizable, because its free (the other meaning), because it has excellent community support

    But all of that is just marketing bull. We tell that to non-Linuxers because they wouldnt understand the real reason. And when we say those false reasons enough, we might even start to believe them ourselves.

    But deep underneath, the real reason remains.

    We use Linux because its fun!

    Its fun to tinker with your system. Its fun to change all the settings, break the system, then have to go to recovery mode to repair it. Its fun to have over a hundred distros to choose from. Its fun to use the command line.

    Let me say that again. Its fun to use the command line.

    No wonder non-Linuxers wouldnt understand."
    This is well put. I sometimes wonder if I am like that with Android. I like different and unique. I like spending more time on a piece of hardware than its worth just to see if I can make it work. I think the joy is in the journey. Some people hate the journey. That's why we have Apple.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  10. #85  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    I saw this the other day (from a different source, so I don't know where it came from originally), entitled "the real reason we use Linux", and it applies (albeit somewhat less) to Android as well. Which makes sense because Android is a Linux variant.

    The REAL reason we use Linux

    "We tell people we use Linux because its secure. Or because its free, because its customizable, because its free (the other meaning), because it has excellent community support

    But all of that is just marketing bull. We tell that to non-Linuxers because they wouldnt understand the real reason. And when we say those false reasons enough, we might even start to believe them ourselves.

    But deep underneath, the real reason remains.

    We use Linux because its fun!

    Its fun to tinker with your system. Its fun to change all the settings, break the system, then have to go to recovery mode to repair it. Its fun to have over a hundred distros to choose from. Its fun to use the command line.

    Let me say that again. Its fun to use the command line.

    No wonder non-Linuxers wouldnt understand."
    I use the command line at work everyday, as does my iPhone zealot friend.

    I also use the command line on my phone.
    I'm always surprised when I am the only Android user who says one if the reasons I root is for busybox.
    I used tar to backup my internal SD card in case I install beans ROM, I have cron running, and I wrote a script to show the CPU utilization per core.
  11. #86  
    aaronbuescher's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JellyBean

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    pull out my Note 2 at a party this weekend...a clueless woman asks,"is that an ipad mini". sigh..
    I had a friend ask the same exact thing, and i sighed as well.
    Thanked by:
  12. #87  

    Default When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    The media will never let go of the iPhone. Apple gets all the attention. Next time you check out a movie or TV show, see what kind of computer or phone they are using. Take the show Dexter, he uses an iPhone plus an Apple computer and they show close ups of his devices all the time.

    People keep mentioning customization. iPhone users don't care about the customizations. You customize a Toyota Camry not a Benz. I've had all the latest Androids but after a week I go back to my iPhone. There's nothing that my Androids did that made me want to stay with it. I had the SG2, SG3, HTC One X plus, and GN2.
    I am a musician and the google apps for music don't come close to what Apple offers. Look at Garage Band. That app is worlds above anything in the Play store for recording music and using an interface. iPhone has way more accessory support too.
  13. #88  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    The media will never let go of the iPhone. Apple gets all the attention. Next time you check out a movie or TV show, see what kind of computer or phone they are using. Take the show Dexter, he uses an iPhone plus an Apple computer and they show close ups of his devices all the time.

    People keep mentioning customization. iPhone users don't care about the customizations. You customize a Toyota Camry not a Benz. I've had all the latest Androids but after a week I go back to my iPhone. There's nothing that my Androids did that made me want to stay with it. I had the SG2, SG3, HTC One X plus, and GN2.
    I am a musician and the google apps for music don't come close to what Apple offers. Look at Garage Band. That app is worlds above anything in the Play store for recording music and using an interface. iPhone has way more accessory support too.
    It's called product placement, the company usually pays to have their product placed in the TV show or movie.
    24 had Cisco plastered all over CTU. They also used Plantronics BT headsets, and in the early seasons the field agents used the Palm Treo.

    You do customize a Benz, just like most vehicles they have different packages you can get from the dealer.
    However, I think the Yugo was the exception.
    iPhone = Yugo?
  14. #89  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    On both sides, it seems like there are a good number of users that need to talk about how bad one platform is to make themselves feel good about their purchase. Obviously I see it more on the Android side because I frequent an Android forum but there's clearly jealousy on both sides.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    MrMLK likes this.
  15. #90  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Want it at its core? No one wants to hear that there $600 purchase was the wrong choice or that they made a bad choice. They are going to defend their purchase to the death, even if they know that maybe it wasnt the right one. I mean that both ways. We see a ton of people going from X to y or y to x everyday because it was not a good fit for them. That should be ok. In the overall scheme of things we hear just a small percentage of the vocal ones that say "Your phone sucks" and that is only because we are on a tech blog.

    Some of us express our opinion based on our experience and what we like to do. I think iTunes is a POS, but so is keis. I prefer to do it all myself.

    Now we can back some of this up with points, but it still comes down to preference.
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #91  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Apple has a multi-billion dollar ad campaign associating their product with "easy". They have their devices shown front-and-center constantly on pretty much every single TV show out there. They have stores with dedicated employees making sure that anyone who finds Apple complicated can walk in and walk back out $5,000 poorer and committed to a 2-year overpriced postpaid phone plan but with a computer they know how to use and a phone that pairs with it perfectly in their possession.

    A lot of people don't WANT to "Google it". They don't WANT freedom. They want easy. They want it all pre-configured. They want to be able to slap a CD or DVD into their Windows or Mac computer, watch a video of how to plug in their cable, wait ten minutes, enter their credit card number and agree to pay a bunch of money, and have it all work without having to learn what those complicated terms like USB and WiFi mean. They just want to take the phone thingy and plug the big end of the cable thingy into it and plug the little end into the box thingy that has something to do with the iTunes and watch a message that says "your data is backed up, thank you for plugging thingies correctly."

    Until Android starts really telling people how easy it is to use, and maybe gets a few things figured out like backing up application data natively, iOS will have a secure place in comsumer's hearts and minds.

    And that's OK. That means fewer competitors on Ingress.
    Nail? Hammer. Hammer? Nail.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #92  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    On my Note, I have to use different programs for gmail and exchange mail, a third program (that also needed my exchange account information) for tasks, and then 3 more programs (K9 Mail, Pure Notifications and Widgetlocker) in order to see my new email on my lock screen. And of course, to use those three, I had to enter my account information for gmail and exchange again.
    That's not entirely true. For example, on the GN2 default e-mail app, you can set up multiple accounts, including Gmail, Outlook/Exchange, and others. You can then, of course, view them all in the same app. I know that you can sync your Exchange contacts, calendar, and tasks as well in this app, but I haven't checked to see if you have to view them in another app. However, it doesn't appear you can sync your Gmail contacts and calendar in this app.

    But your point is well taken...it's just not as integrated as iPhone. And again, I'm not bashing iPhone. I'm just puzzled at the creepy obsession the media and (some of) the public has with it, to point of religious fervor.
  18. #93  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by acbuescher View Post
    I had a friend ask the same exact thing, and i sighed as well.
    If ever there was a good time for violence against women. Lol. Just kidding.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    aaronbuescher likes this.
  19. #94  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    BB is dead. I feel sorry for them, but it is over. Even they know it. One of the things I last saw was that they are looking to get rid of the hardware and concentrate on the software. If they do that can come out with something stunning, i mean really stunning, they can continue to exist for a while.
    I kinda wish they was more hope for them but I think maybe just sticking to software would be better for them as they're pretty good at that. Maybe make BBM for Android? :P (I miss BBM, yeah many will say there was nothing special but I have a soft spot for it and was the only reason i stuck with BB longer than I did.)
  20. #95  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    The biggest things that I have found that people on iOS envy about Android is the ability to change their keyboard and the lack of video file support. MKV on an iPad? Not an option. Apparently VLC player was available then dropped from the app store. Can anyone confirm this?

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  21. #96  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Apple has a multi-billion dollar ad campaign associating their product with "easy". They have their devices shown front-and-center constantly on pretty much every single TV show out there. They have stores with dedicated employees making sure that anyone who finds Apple complicated can walk in and walk back out $5,000 poorer and committed to a 2-year overpriced postpaid phone plan but with a computer they know how to use and a phone that pairs with it perfectly in their possession.

    A lot of people don't WANT to "Google it". They don't WANT freedom. They want easy. They want it all pre-configured. They want to be able to slap a CD or DVD into their Windows or Mac computer, watch a video of how to plug in their cable, wait ten minutes, enter their credit card number and agree to pay a bunch of money, and have it all work without having to learn what those complicated terms like USB and WiFi mean. They just want to take the phone thingy and plug the big end of the cable thingy into it and plug the little end into the box thingy that has something to do with the iTunes and watch a message that says "your data is backed up, thank you for plugging thingies correctly."

    Until Android starts really telling people how easy it is to use, and maybe gets a few things figured out like backing up application data natively, iOS will have a secure place in comsumer's hearts and minds.

    And that's OK. That means fewer competitors on Ingress.

    Let's not forget that Apple stores have a "Genius bar" for advanced help for iPhony fans, haha! I don't see any guys labeled "genius" for Android help!
    Fortunately, we have AndroidCentral for the rest of us non-Apple types, hyuck yuck!

    Casey
    Is that a Samsung Note 3 in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
  22. #97  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigoldthor View Post
    That's not entirely true. For example, on the GN2 default e-mail app, you can set up multiple accounts, including Gmail, Outlook/Exchange, and others. You can then, of course, view them all in the same app.
    I believe you are incorrect. This is the screen I get when I try to get at my Gmail in the default email app:

    When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?-email.jpg
  23. #98  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    I believe you are incorrect. This is the screen I get when I try to get at my Gmail in the default email app:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	50631
    Lol go to other probably I have always used default email app for gmail as well as my army email

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  24. #99  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    MKV on an iPad? Not an option. Apparently VLC player was available then dropped from the app store. Can anyone confirm this?
    It was dropped, but there are over 50 other programs still available. I have used 2 of them (Azul Media Player and CInXPlayer) and they have worked for every file I have thrown at them.
    Thanked by:
  25. #100  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Lol go to other probably I have always used default email app for gmail as well as my army email
    Nope, the other one only allows you to add more Gmail accounts.

    Perhaps its a Verizon thing to not allow gmail in the stock email app.
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I am back after a short affair with the Galaxy S3
    By billgio in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
  2. Can I force the official 2.2 if I upgrade with the leak
    By B_Wat in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 02:32 AM
  3. When will a decent Android-based tablet be available in the US?
    By mapexvenus in forum Misc. Tablet Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
  4. When will a decent Android-based tablet be available in the US?
    By mapexvenus in forum Misc. Android Phone Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions