Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 844
Like Tree400Likes
  1. #126  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOTK View Post
    I did read the entire thread hence my comments that you've espoused nothing but love for iOS and iTunes throughout. I did read a few of your comments where you purport to like this device; however, you've gone to great lengths in this thread to argue in the positive for iTunes and iOS. When somebody spends more time and words on arguing in the positive for one platform versus another its not difficult to deduce where they lean hence my observation that you're better off staying with Apple.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android but the hardware of Samsung, HTC, and LG is where I think the android platform is really close or ahead. I don't see how saying iOS and iTunes is the best software option but Samsung has the best hardware option is so wrong and contradictory?
  2. #127  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOTK View Post
    I did read the entire thread hence my comments that you've espoused nothing but love for iOS and iTunes throughout. I did read a few of your comments where you purport to like this device; however, you've gone to great lengths in this thread to argue in the positive for iTunes and iOS. When somebody spends more time and words on arguing in the positive for one platform versus another its not difficult to deduce where they lean hence my observation that you're better off staying with Apple.
    Well, I can certainly see how you would take my opening comments to this thread as a general criticism of Android.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    I recently switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy Note 2, and I would not consider going back. I love both the Android customizability and the large screen. For me, its a far better solution. I love it so much, I haven't touched my iPad in three weeks.
    Those are indeed fighting words.

    I have been arguing about the simplicity of iOS and iTunes, because this thread is about (among other things) whether or not their are any advantages to the Apple platform. The reason I have been talking about the pluses about iOS in this thread, is because that is what this thread is about. I haven't talked about iOS in any other threads on this forum, because that would make no sense, and in general, I have moved away from iOS and am not so interested anymore.

    Try to understand that its possible to like a platform and still not think its perfect for everyone. I believe that for many people the simplicity of iOS is a big selling point. That opinion is not intended as an attack on you or your platform.

    Try to keep in mind that its a phone, not a religion.
  3. #128  
    SOTK's Avatar

    Posts
    293 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/CM10

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdlindsey7 View Post
    I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android but the hardware of Samsung, HTC, and LG is where I think the android platform is really close or ahead. I don't see how saying iOS and iTunes is the best software option but Samsung has the best hardware option is so wrong and contradictory?
    Did you read both my posts? First, Double Twist is a free App for both Android and for the PC. You can create play lists, sync music, video, and pictures. Easy. Or, has been mentioned several times in this thread, you can simply plug your Android into a PC and drag and drop. Easy. Secondly, the email client which comes with this phone can be easily used to manage both your exchange email, Gmail, and other POP3 email accounts. Thirdly, Android uses Market Restore for future restoration of apps with your device. These are just a few things Android does. There are other tools, tips, tricks, methods, and apps. Former iOS enthusiasts, in my opinion, are to used to point and click. Yes, Android is different but there are ways to accomplish what you did with iOS and more by learning the Android ecosystem. I get frustrated when former iOS enthusiasts complain when it's obvious they know very little about Android and the current Android phone they own. My frustration is further compounded by reading these iOS enthusiasts complaints over and over again. If iTunes is that wonderful and iOS was that useful and easy to use, why leave? Doesn't make sense to me.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Device: Galaxy Nexus, Transformer Prime
    Rom/Kernel: AOKP/ImoseyOn Lean Kernel, CM10
    Thanked by:
  4. #129  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Real X Dawg View Post
    Too bad most regular people won't care about any of that unless there is feature that interests them.

    Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Something tells me that due to the fact that Android is dominating the Smartphone world now that there are some features people find interesting :thumbup:

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  5. #130  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdlindsey7 View Post
    I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android but the hardware of Samsung, HTC, and LG is where I think the android platform is really close or ahead. I don't see how saying iOS and iTunes is the best software option but Samsung has the best hardware option is so wrong and contradictory?
    Ok let me step in here. The software is everything on these phones. If you compare hardware of the iphone to the hardware of any android device its pretty pointless. IOS was built around the hardware it was designed to utilize the hardware in the most efficient way possible giving the "end user" the nicest possible experience. Android on the otherhand it seems we are building hardware around the software using stronger faster and better hardware to make the os seem smoother instead of optimizing it like I feel vendors should. I love android but I do see its shortcomings being a still fairly infantile OS.

    As for the fragmentation argument I dont look at all of these vendors as a whole because they aren't. At their core yes its still android but because of its open source nature it can become anything. These vendors create their own version adding and removing functions that may or may not have been part of the primary OS. People need to look at touchwiz, blur, sense, and every other derivative as its own seperate entity because overall it really is. When people see these things they see the android software version and think ok so this is how every phone on this version will act which is grossly incorrect. Open source really is just take it and change it how you see fit these oem's have done just that they are their own os its just using android as its base.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  6. #131  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdlindsey7 View Post
    I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android
    This is farther then I wold go. I would say that for some people one is better and for some people the other is. Neither is so perfect so as to be the best platform for everyone.
    Thanked by:
  7. #132  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by SOTK View Post
    Did you read both my posts? First, Double Twist is a free App for both Android and for the PC. You can create play lists, sync music, video, and pictures. Easy. Or, has been mentioned several times in this thread, you can simply plug your Android into a PC and drag and drop. Easy. Secondly, the email client which comes with this phone can be easily used to manage both your exchange email, Gmail, and other POP3 email accounts. Thirdly, Android uses Market Restore for future restoration of apps with your device. These are just a few things Android does. There are other tools, tips, tricks, methods, and apps. Former iOS enthusiasts, in my opinion, are to used to point and click. Yes, Android is different but there are ways to accomplish what you did with iOS and more by learning the Android ecosystem. I get frustrated when former iOS enthusiasts complain when it's obvious they know very little about Android and the current Android phone they own. My frustration is further compounded by reading these iOS enthusiasts complaints over and over again. If iTunes is that wonderful and iOS was that useful and easy to use, why leave? Doesn't make sense to me.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Doubletwist is a great app. I have it and paid $10 fort air sync and the podcast portion. My argument was that out of the box your iPhone can sync via iCloud to your computer to back up your phone without third party apps involved. That is my point to one thing Apple does better. I own an iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 and I know A LOT about android so to say I don't know what I'm talking about is ridiculous. I like both operating systems so I own both. When I'm in the mood to tinker and play I use android and when I want easy and reliable I choose iOS. But I won't sit and let someone say that third party apps and work arounds are in the same atmosphere as iTunes and iCloud and such.
  8. #133  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    This is farther then I wold go. I would say that for some people one is better and for some people the other is. Neither is so perfect so as to be the best platform for everyone.
    I should have been more specific. I mean in ease of use, not overall functionality. That's my fault for not being specific. My whole argument was how much easier it is for anyone to use iOS.
  9. #134  
    SOTK's Avatar

    Posts
    293 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP/CM10

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    This is farther then I wold go. I would say that for some people one is better and for some people the other is. Neither is so perfect so as to be the best platform for everyone.
    This I can agree with you on to point.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Device: Galaxy Nexus, Transformer Prime
    Rom/Kernel: AOKP/ImoseyOn Lean Kernel, CM10
  10. #135  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdlindsey7 View Post
    Doubletwist is a great app. I have it and paid $10 fort air sync and the podcast portion. My argument was that out of the box your iPhone can sync via iCloud to your computer to back up your phone without third party apps involved. That is my point to one thing Apple does better. I own an iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 and I know A LOT about android so to say I don't know what I'm talking about is ridiculous. I like both operating systems so I own both. When I'm in the mood to tinker and play I use android and when I want easy and reliable I choose iOS. But I won't sit and let someone say that third party apps and work arounds are in the same atmosphere as iTunes and iCloud and such.
    I will agree with most of what you are saying but I will interject on calling a third party app a workaround as I feel the entire point of third party is to add functionality thats not inherent on a given device. As far as music sync goes google play music can take a ridiculous number of your songs and sync them to their servers so on any device you own you can have access. Also there is a feature to make said music available offline.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    TheMindy2011 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #136  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    I believe you are incorrect. This is the screen I get when I try to get at my Gmail in the default email app:

    Attachment 50631
    Then Verizon must lock it down like that, because the default GN2 e-mail app on my AT&T device lets me set up any account, including Gmail. I just go into this screen, enter my username and password, and voila...I have Gmail. I can also configure the account to sync contacts, calendar, and tasks. (However, I still just use the default Gmail app.)

  12. #137  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    I will agree with most of what you are saying but I will interject on calling a third party app a workaround as I feel the entire point of third party is to add functionality thats not inherent on a given device. As far as music sync goes google play music can take a ridiculous number of your songs and sync them to their servers so on any device you own you can have access. Also there is a feature to make said music available offline.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    I consider a third party app a workaround when it has to be used because out of the box the phones pre-installed apps are too confusing. Again, my point as to why iOS has such a following is ease of use. You turn on your iPhone and plug it in to iTunes and you are good to go. In order to get that same easy funtionality from android you need a third party app, which unless you know about you won't find. People like my parents never download an app unless they hear about it on TV or I tell them about it. They are not sitting scanning the App Store for useful apps like people like us. I have not given google play music enough attention, maybe it is a good iTunes like replacement?
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  13. #138  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdlindsey7 View Post
    I also believe that iOS and iTunes is by far superior to android but the hardware of Samsung, HTC, and LG is where I think the android platform is really close or ahead. I don't see how saying iOS and iTunes is the best software option but Samsung has the best hardware option is so wrong and contradictory?
    I disagree. I can't count the times I have helped friends with their ios devices and jokingly said "I thought that Apple just works?" the fact is that ios is not always easier. I came from a BlackBerry and an old windows phone so I was used to plugging in my device and copying files over like a usb drive. It was a consistent way that all windows devices worked. When my kids got ipods I found the whole iTunes thing incredibly hard to use and comprehend. It didn't sync well, it did things without asking me and had numerous problems accepting files.

    iOS may in fact be more limited than Android which makes it appear to be easier but there are many things that "just work" on Android and are just "not possible" on iOS without a lot of fiddling or added cost with adapters and what not.

    Look at how often you say that you can't do that on Android vs Apple. It's no competition. Android just covers more bases.

    There are really only 2 things that Apple does really well that Android needs to work on.

    1. The complete backup needs to be fully integrated into the account and include preferences and saved games etc.

    2. Apple TV media sharing. There are a bunch of options with Android but they need to be integrated out of the box with stock tools. Perhaps when the Nexus Q is relaunched it will fill this gap in the market. I also think that if Samsung got their act together on their smart TV's they could make this happen in a much better way. AllShare is okay but nothing like Apple TV.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    SOTK likes this.
  14. #139  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdlindsey7 View Post
    I consider a third party app a workaround when it has to be used because out of the box the phones pre-installed apps are too confusing. Again, my point as to why iOS has such a following is ease of use. You turn on your iPhone and plug it in to iTunes and you are good to go. In order to get that same easy funtionality from android you need a third party app, which unless you know about you won't find. People like my parents never download an app unless they hear about it on TV or I tell them about it. They are not sitting scanning the App Store for useful apps like people like us. I have not given google play music enough attention, maybe it is a good iTunes like replacement?
    Play music will allow you to upload your library to their cloud. From there you can use play music on your tablets phones or pc. Tablet and phone you can choose to make music available offline you can select entire albums or single songs. Pc you dl their app to do the upload and it can also dl anything you have bought on play music for use on your pc. If you aren't at home your collection can be available on googles play store website by signing in and just stream from online.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #140  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    iOS may in fact be more limited than Android which makes it appear to be easier but there are many things that "just work" on Android and are just "not possible" on iOS without a lot of fiddling or added cost with adapters and what not.
    This is certainly true, but for many people the limited subset of things that Apple does is good enough.
    Thanked by:
  16. #141  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Tell that to the Android fans complaining about how some devices don't have SD card slots, or low internal memory, or a non-removable battery.

    Choice. The beauty of Android.
    No-one said they had to get the devices that have no SD card slot, or removable battery. Their fault, not Android's.

    Choice really is the beauty of Android, along with many other things.

    This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
    Thanked by 2:
  17. #142  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    I pull out my Note 2 at a party this weekend...a clueless woman asks,"is that an ipad mini". sigh...
    LOL! I get asked that almost every day in my office. I just think it's funny that some people think the ipad Mini is that small.
  18. #143  
    The Real X Dawg's Avatar

    Posts
    334 Posts
    Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperOne

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Something tells me that due to the fact that Android is dominating the Smartphone world now that there are some features people find interesting :thumbup:

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    I should be more clear about what I meant. Regular people won't care too much or notice a difference if OEMs goes closer to stock Android. Never meant to imply that Android didn't have interesting features because that would be a lie.

    Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Thanked by 2:
    badbrad17Ry 
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
  19. #144  

    Default When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Something tells me that due to the fact that Android is dominating the Smartphone world now that there are some features people find interesting :thumbup:

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android is dominating because of the cheap $9.99 phones or free phone. That means nothing. I see more Honda Accords than I do Lambos. Which one would most people want?
  20. #145  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    Android is dominating because of the cheap $9.99 phones or free phone. That means nothing. I see more Honda Accords than I do Lambos. Which one would most people want?
    Actually agree here. ANDROID is available on every carrier even crap like boost and metro etc. They're availability and the abillty to send out mass phones for nothing and on even the cheapest crappiest networks is why they dominate. Even as an Android user I have to admit this
  21. #146  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Thats not androids fault android is software nothing more. Who uses it on what hardware is not dictated by google. If you have an issue with the fact that the software is readily available to more than upper middle class then I suggest you look back into iphones.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Ry likes this.
  22. #147  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,304 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,336 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    Android is dominating because of the cheap $9.99 phones or free phone. That means nothing. I see more Honda Accords than I do Lambos. Which one would most people want?
    They want a Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2. Simple marketing.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  23. #148  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,304 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,336 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Real X Dawg View Post
    I should be more clear about what I meant. Regular people won't care too much or notice a difference if OEMs goes closer to stock Android. Never meant to imply that Android didn't have interesting features because that would be a lie.

    Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Spot on.

    It's hilarious when people on forums like this claim that "stock Android" or "unlocked bootloaders" would automatically fix all of the problems Android OEMs not named Samsung currently have.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
  24. #149  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    812 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Also if it werent for honda the modern supercar would not be what it is. Do some research the nsx made those companies rethink their approach. The McLaren was modled after it even.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  25. #150  

    Default Re: When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Thats not androids fault android is software nothing more. Who uses it on what hardware is not dictated by google. If you have an issue with the fact that the software is readily available to more than upper middle class then I suggest you look back into iphones.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    no one even hinted at that. We we're just stating that a major reason for market saturation is it's availability in every corner of the market. It's partially Androids fault because it is free and open source no one is knocking it just stating facts
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I am back after a short affair with the Galaxy S3
    By billgio in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 09:41 AM
  2. Can I force the official 2.2 if I upgrade with the leak
    By B_Wat in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 01:32 AM
  3. When will a decent Android-based tablet be available in the US?
    By mapexvenus in forum Misc. Tablet Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
  4. When will a decent Android-based tablet be available in the US?
    By mapexvenus in forum Misc. Android Phone Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions