When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
For me as a root user its easier yes the initial effort involved is over most peoples heads and I agree the average person won't do it. But I have android tuner pro and I just hit one button and all of my apps texts and call logs can be restored in a matter of minutes. As for outlook and exchange dunno I don't use em. I never invested in iTunes so I've never been locked down like that I just drag drop and go I don't use playlists because I have a music library that is better suited for shuffle and enjoy. Simplicity at its best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have my stuff backing up to my Google account so when I did a restore all my programs automatically installed. I didn't have to do them one at a time. And this was all over the air.

I would be curious to learn how you made this work. I am new to Android, but my research has shown me that this is not possible. In fact, on the "Back up and Reset", it specifically says "back up app data". There are about a dozen apps I have found that help you make a list of apps to help you restore, but all of them say they cannot backup the apps unless you Root your device, and even then, none of them offer the ability to backup to the cloud.

Are you sure you actually got all of your programs to automatically reinstall?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
For me as a root user its easier yes the initial effort involved is over most peoples heads and I agree the average person won't do it.

That's the only point I was trying to make. Android's power makes it better for some people (ie, Me) and iOS's simplicity makes it better for others.

But I have android tuner pro and I just hit one button and all of my apps texts and call logs can be restored in a matter of minutes.

This looks interesting. Do you use their Battery Monitor Widget Pro as well?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
That's the only point I was trying to make. Android's power makes it better for some people (ie, Me) and iOS's simplicity makes it better for others.

This looks interesting. Do you use their Battery Monitor Widget Pro as well?

Android tuner actually is a combination of 3c's apps so it has battery monitor built into it the program itself is extremely feature rich and very much wort the money to me as its my all in one app for normal root functions as well as diagnostics and monitoring

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For all the people having sync issues, have you ever heard of Google Drive? And for music solutions available across all platforms, Google Play music.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
For all the people having sync issues, have you ever heard of Google Drive? And for music solutions available across all platforms, Google Play music.

Play music on linux has been giving me issues I love the idea and maybe its been updated since I used it but when it first dropped it was a royal pain

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I own Apple stock...love the stock. Bought some shares several years ago at $87 and sold some at $680 a couple months ago, and still own some shares currently. Don't care for the iPhone or iPad though, and don't own or use these devices. Conversely, all my laptops and computers are MicroSoft Windows based which I like for the most part. However, I couldn't care less for buying MicroSoft stock which has gone nowhere for years. As to smartphones, my first preference is Android phones. My Samsung Note 2 phone makes any iPhone look like an insect in comparison when placed side by side. I previously used Palm based devices for many years (eg: Treo and Pre smartphones and PDAs), but alas that device and operating system has pretty much died awhile back. I much prefer how my information is automatically and wirelessly synched to my Google account, versus having to use iTunes which I can't stand. I cannot figure out how to use iTunes, it's beyond my comprehension and patience level. Everywhere I go most everyone has an iPhony phone, whether at work, at the gym, on the bus...practically everyone. In contrast, I'm more than happy with my Samsung Note 2. The only thing I'm slightly envious of is all the enormous support the iPhone gets in terms of apps, accessories, 3rd party stuff, you name it. I sometimes wish a cool accessory that I see at the Apple store can be used for my Android phone, haha! Actually, the only time I ever bought a really useful accessory at an Apple store was the Plantronics Bluetooth wireless headphones which I'm using for my Android phone. I can still remember the first time I saw the prototype model of the original iPhone (version #1) which was displayed inside an enclosed glass housing at the annual MacWorld convention at the Moscone Center in San Francisco several years ago. There was a huge crowd gawking and taking pictures of the original iPhone prototype. Who would have known the iPhone would become such a hit at that time? That was back when Steve Jobs was making the rounds for his loyal followers at the MacWorld show. I recall MacWorld would charge something like $75 for an attendee to participate inside a private auditorium to listen to Steve Jobs make his annual marketing hype. I never paid the $75 to see Steve Jobs talk in person. Now after Steve's death, I wish I had paid at least one time to see Steve live in action. I sort of regret that now in retrospect...oh well. BTW, MacWorld has drastically changed over the years. In the past, there used to be many, many non-Apple vendors showing off the latest in high tech and digital gadgetry. It's now a very limited and smaller convention devoted almost exclusively for Apple stuff. That's why I don't go to MacWorld anymore.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I
I would be curious to learn how you made this work. I am new to Android, but my research has shown me that this is not possible. In fact, on the "Back up and Reset", it specifically says "back up app data". There are about a dozen apps I have found that help you make a list of apps to help you restore, but all of them say they cannot backup the apps unless you Root your device, and even then, none of them offer the ability to backup to the cloud.

Are you sure you actually got all of your programs to automatically reinstall?

Well when I recently did a reset on my phone and tablet I was asked if I would like to install all of my paid apps. I said yes and they all were installed for me. I think you have to make sure you have the backup info checked off in your settings. It may not be that way by default.

But I think you should root your phone. You sound bright enough and into it. I did it on my phone in a few minutes. Watched a YouTube video. It opens a lot of new doors.

Then you can use Titanium Backup.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
All I know is it cracks me up to see everyone toting their iphones and then they are blown away by the gn2. Even funnier is listening to the ones go on and on about how massive their new iphone 5 is then I show them my note 2. Lol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
My brother is the biggest Apple fanboy in the world; it's a religion to him. Why should I care? An iPhone is a half decent device after all; it's not like he is living in a terrible state of deprivation that I must save him from. So, he will never know what an incredible device a Note 2 is (or, for that matter, my Note 10.1 tablet, rather than his iPad); there is nothing I can do about it. As to the rest of the public and Applemania, well, why should I care. Both Apple and Samsung are making money hand over fist. It's not like we have to worry about either of these giants. I happen to own some extraordinary devices, but I am not part of a religious movement. Samsung and Apple are just manufacturers/marketers of electronics and I am just a consumer.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well when I recently did a reset on my phone and tablet I was asked if I would like to install all of my paid apps. I said yes and they all were installed for me. I think you have to make sure you have the backup info checked off in your settings. It may not be that way by default.

Its weird. I needed to go from a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 to a Verizon one. (Reminder to self: Never use T-Mobile again.) I made sure backup was checked, I made sure I had synced. I turned off the T-Mobile Phone.

I turned on the Verizon phone. I logged in to google and it didn't restore anything. I started installing apps and it never restored any app data. Fortunately, the most complicated ones (Nova Launcher, gReader Pro, Widgetlocker) all allow you to manually backup and restore your app setup, and I didn't have much other data that wasn't on the SD card or the cloud.

Still, I would have been much happier if it had worked the way yours worked.

But I think you should root your phone. You sound bright enough and into it. I did it on my phone in a few minutes. Watched a YouTube video. It opens a lot of new doors.

Then you can use Titanium Backup.

Thanks. I'm thinking about it, but I don't want to brick something I have to pay for service on for for the next 2 years.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
when hell freezes over. :)

I pull out my Note 2 at a party this weekend...a clueless woman asks,"is that an ipad mini". sigh...

Benson Chik

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I moved from iPhone5 to note 2

I am a computer geek and I hated how apple restricted user with everyting, the lack of JB on the iphone5 and the chip in the lighting cable made me mad enough to switch to the Note 2.

However, my 3 years old daughter know how to use the iPhone when she was 2.5 years old. She knows how to unlock by swipe and my 4 digit password, goto her games page with all the apps and open and close app as she please. She can't do it with my Note2.

There are good reason why people love the iPhone, not just fanboi or status thing.... It makes computer dumb people feel smart, my grandmother can face time my 3 years old without my help :)

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
There's definite advantages. But they aren't big enough to justify the freaky weird obsession that exists. Every OS has its pro's and con's but only Apple has the creepy over the top disciples.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Thank you for making the point in my OP much more clearly and succinctly than I did! :D

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Every OS has its pro's and con's but only Apple has the creepy over the top disciples.

If you really believe that, you really need to get out more. The one constant across every platform (mobile and desktop) is that they all have creepy over the top disciples.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If you really believe that, you really need to get out more. The one constant across every platform (mobile and desktop) is that they all have creepy over the top disciples.

NO other device has the same level of obsessive disciples that Apple does. At least not over a span of multiple devices. You may find a company releases a device or two where people will swear up and down that nothing else competes. But then you have the apple disciples that act that way over the span of 6 or 7 devices. It wont matter WHAT else comes out, they will always blindly swear by the fruit. I for one absolutely was in love with Motorola Droids. I loved my Bionic and I loved my Razr Maxx. And I would argue up one side and down the other that they were better than people were saying. But then the S3 came out and I realized that Moto actually isn't that great in a lot of ways. So I switched because it was obvious who is better. In my associations, the Apple disciples are by far the worst at actually doing their research to find out which device is ACTUALLY the top of the line and which one is the best value for their money.

You can't try to dictate my experience. It's cool if you've seen it other ways, I am just sharing what I myself have witnessed. And it has nothing to do with "getting out". What is it on these forums about that being the go-to response? "You need to get out of mom's basement" or "I have a life unlike you". Man those are getting old. It's like people have these insecurities about themselves and they try to overcompensate by shifting the focus on other people just because they disagree with a statement...

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Where I think its harder it in three specific areas.

1) Setting up the phone for the first time (If you arn't exclusively using gmail for mail/calendar/tasks)

Wouldn't this be the same as saying "Setting up the iPhone is hard unless you are using iTunes. Just like iPhone goes with iTunes, Android goes with Google (Gmail).

Anyway I agree with what some have said, use what you like. I don't care how many iPhones I see around. My wife has a iPhone and I bought her a iPad for Christmas because that what she likes and uses. I bought my 9 year old son a Nexus 7 for Christmas because at that size I like it better for my money then a iPad Mini and he doesn't have a iTunes account with tons of music etc.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried helping my wife several times get songs on her iPhone that she already had on her iPod. I'm very tech savvy...except I guess when it comes to Apple and iTunes. I couldn't for the life of me get her songs onto her phone. I got a few of them on...I think the ones she had already ordered through iTunes. And I followed the instructions for provisioning the "up to 5" devices (I have an iPad too but am not interested in getting music on it). As for all the songs we already had pre-iTunes? Fugettaboutit. I tried some 3rd party workaround apps but had no real luck. I finally just gave up and told her to use her iPod when she wants to listen to music.

Like I said, I'm a techno-geek and spend many hours a week reading and posting on tech blogs and messing with computers and gadgets. But when it came to her iPhone and iTunes, I was about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With the "general public" - as in my friends and family that don't follow tech closely, I see the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note (1 and 2) slowly getting to that level of recognition and affinity.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
NO other device has the same level of obsessive disciples that Apple does. At least not over a span of multiple devices. You may find a company releases a device or two where people will swear up and down that nothing else competes. But then you have the apple disciples that act that way over the span of 6 or 7 devices. It wont matter WHAT else comes out, they will always blindly swear by the fruit. I for one absolutely was in love with Motorola Droids. I loved my Bionic and I loved my Razr Maxx. And I would argue up one side and down the other that they were better than people were saying. But then the S3 came out and I realized that Moto actually isn't that great in a lot of ways. So I switched because it was obvious who is better. In my associations, the Apple disciples are by far the worst at actually doing their research to find out which device is ACTUALLY the top of the line and which one is the best value for their money.

My experience is that Android fans think that Apple fans are nutjobs, Apple fans think that Android fans are nut jobs, Windows fans think they both are crazy. The one thing for sure we can all agree on is that RIM fans are psychos. It looks to me like everyone thinks that they are reasonable but that everyone else is over the top crazy.

I'm new to to Android, but I obviously love it. That doesn't stop people from getting upset with me if I say anything negative about it. I think everyone would do better if they just calmed down a bit. Just my opinion.

You can't try to dictate my experience. It's cool if you've seen it other ways, I am just sharing what I myself have witnessed. And it has nothing to do with "getting out". What is it on these forums about that being the go-to response? "You need to get out of mom's basement" or "I have a life unlike you". Man those are getting old. It's like people have these insecurities about themselves and they try to overcompensate by shifting the focus on other people just because they disagree with a statement...

Just to be clear, I wasn't taking a shot at you with "you need to get out more". I was just using it as an expression. Not that I don't take a shot when I am posting sometimes, but I wasn't doing that now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7