When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay I got ya. That definitely makes sense. And I do agree that even Android fans can get a little nuts, which is why I pointed out that I was crazy about Motorola there for a while. But then I realized that there was better options. Not that Motorola doesn't make good phones, but there were better options that fit my needs better. Which in my family and group of friends, I wish the iPhone users were more willing to give other devices a shot. My android using friends tend to be more willing to be experimental. But again, that's just my personal experience.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
With the "general public" - as in my friends and family that don't follow tech closely, I see the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note (1 and 2) slowly getting to that level of recognition and affinity.

For my area at least I can add the One X and Razr phones. Of course I'm not sure just how "normal" the students are on my campus with all the jailbroken and rooted phones floating around. Maybe it's because of all the gamers that take classes here.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For my area at least I can add the One X and Razr phones. Of course I'm not sure just how "normal" the students are on my campus with all the jailbroken and rooted phones floating around. Maybe it's because of all the gamers that take classes here.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Should have mentioned the RAZR. Where I'm from, the RAZR line (mainly the first DROID RAZR MAXX) was far ahead of the latest Samsungs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Its weird. I needed to go from a T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 to a Verizon one. (Reminder to self: Never use T-Mobile again.) I made sure backup was checked, I made sure I had synced. I turned off the T-Mobile Phone.

I turned on the Verizon phone. I logged in to google and it didn't restore anything. I started installing apps and it never restored any app data. Fortunately, the most complicated ones (Nova Launcher, gReader Pro, Widgetlocker) all allow you to manually backup and restore your app setup, and I didn't have much other data that wasn't on the SD card or the cloud.

Still, I would have been much happier if it had worked the way yours worked.

Thanks. I'm thinking about it, but I don't want to brick something I have to pay for service on for for the next 2 years.

Strange because I have done it on numerous devices.

But rooting definitely makes it easier. And honestly, I am no rooting or roming expert and managed to do it with very little difficulty. Just take a day on the weekend to watch a few videos etc. you will see how it's all done. I believe it is much harder to really screw up your phone and never get it back compared to a couple of years ago. A fiend of mine soft bricked his phone last week when trying to update his phone using "Krappy Kies" and it work not work. All he got was a logo and it wouldn't do anything. I spend a few hours looking online and managed to restore it and bring it back to stock. I would think if I had a bit more experience it wouldn't even take an hour to fix it.

But rooting is not even close to this difficult. There are some risks, but I think you should give it a go!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It has.
Apple has peaked, right now they're like Wiley Coyote running off the top of the cliff. Take a look at all the reviews out there comparing i5 vs S III or Note 2. Look at sales trends the last 2 months. Check out how many people on this forum have switched over from iphones. Apple will hang on but unless they improve greatly with the i6 even the general non-tech population will begin abandoning them. IMO, their old reputation - and all the people stuck on iTunes - is what's saving them.

Ease of use for non-tech folks? Keep your eye on Microsoft stealing those customers.

There will always be fanbois both in the general public and in the media. Then again, Betamax still has fans too ...
Long story short, Apple is making the EXACT SAME mistake RIM did. They got to the top, let it get to their heads thinking no-one could ever beat them and in their arrogance have slowly begun having their throne stolen away beneath them while someone else has been building it with those pieces for themselves and laughing at them as they do it. In this case, Android.

Whether or not Apple smartens up and actually does something new (and i mean actually make an iPhone that's noticeably different) like RIM did with the BB10 (and hopefully it's as good as it sounds), remains to be seen.

For me personally, I will never buy anything with an Apple logo on it. To them, you buy and own the product but you use it the way Apple wants you to, unless you jailbreak it, you can't customize it at all and customization is a huge thing for me and lots of others. Plus I can't stand that small screen after being with Android. But that's just me.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
BB is dead. I feel sorry for them, but it is over. Even they know it. One of the things I last saw was that they are looking to get rid of the hardware and concentrate on the software. If they do that can come out with something stunning, i mean really stunning, they can continue to exist for a while.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
BB is dead. I feel sorry for them, but it is over. Even they know it. One of the things I last saw was that they are looking to get rid of the hardware and concentrate on the software. If they do that can come out with something stunning, i mean really stunning, they can continue to exist for a while.

You haven't seen anything about RIM for a while then, because what is being leaked daily about the BB10 phones is exciting to see. I look forward to January 31 because I will always have a soft spot for Research in Motion.

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah I have and there is really nothing all that great that they have shown so far. What fastburst mode? Calender? flow? the keyboard?

I have a soft spot for them as well, but its time to stick a fork in them..

I know January is the "hard" release date, but they have had a few of those already...I am sure Jan 30th is it though. I think the date slippage from before was to hopefully get some investors and/or sell off the hardware

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't really call iOS intuitive. I think android is head and shoulders more intuitive than iOS ever will be. At least in ICS and up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe its just my neck of the woods (DC) but it appears it already has ended here. Everyone that sees my Note 2 has hearts pouring from their eyes like the cartoons. Many of which who use iPhones and want to figure out how they can add a line or steal another person's upgrade to get one.

Its also the 1st Android I've owned (out of maybe 20) that people identify immediately without me having to tell them what it was.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have no beef with iPhone. I like what they've done and because of it all, this Android goodness started. I wouldn't mind trying the iPhone5 out on a 2yr contract but am quite comfortable with my SGS3. It all depends on the person honestly. I prefer Android because I'm a heavy Google user and would hate to start over with my app purchases.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its just my neck of the woods (DC) but it appears it already has ended here. Everyone that sees my Note 2 has hearts pouring from their eyes like the cartoons. Many of which who use iPhones and want to figure out how they can add a line or steal another person's upgrade to get one.

Its also the 1st Android I've owned (out of maybe 20) that people identify immediately without me having to tell them what it was.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I had one of my 14 year old daughters friends say the other day that he wants a SGS3. All the kids are typically Apple fans. It was the first time I'd heard any younger person say they wanted one.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
my son did the same thing. He could have had the iP4s (though he knew I was not going to do a whole lot of support for it) or the sgs3....he chose wisely, unlike his sister...

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the iTunes hate. I've used iTunes way before I even owned an apple product, and will continue to do so. I loathe Kies and when I had a creative zen vision m, the creative organizer was coded by monkeys.

I've always found iTunes intuitive and easy to use. *shrug*

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It will stop when naive customers (like one my siblings) become extinct because after all a naive customer is Apple's best customer.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
There are iPhone and Android zealots, I don't understand either.
I have a friend who is an iPhone zealot. No matter what I tell him that's cool about Android, if the iPhone can't do it he basically says it's either stupid or not needed. Believe it or not he said that about copy/paste and mms before the iPhone gained that capability.

The iPhone is obviously a decent device. With every single review I read about the iPhone the number one reason they all love it is "it's ease of use". That perplexes me because Android isn't difficult by any means.

Being able to completely backup/restore an iPhone is awesome, especially when compared to having to root, flash a custom recovery and perform a nandroid backup. There really does need to be a way to backup/restore an android device without root and without having to redo the setup for each app.

That is my only real issue I see with Android, however, it is an issue that Android zealots can't admit.

On a side note, each Android phone I've owned (Droid 2, Droid X, Galaxy Nexus, Note 2), as soon as I plugged the device into my PC, Windows installed the drivers and it showed up as a drive.
I never once had to do anything special to get my PC to recognize an Android device.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
And yet, Google has come out with an app (AndroidFileTransfer) specifically designed for people who can't "just plug in their Android phone and copy to and from with no issue".

And even then, searching for "problems syncing my phone with android file transfer" comes up with 3 and a half million hits on google.

Airdroid wasn't released because people preferred to sync over Wifi, Airdroid was released because people couldn't find another way to get it to work.

Apple has a multi-billion dollar ad campaign associating their product with "easy". They have their devices shown front-and-center constantly on pretty much every single TV show out there. They have stores with dedicated employees making sure that anyone who finds Apple complicated can walk in and walk back out $5,000 poorer and committed to a 2-year overpriced postpaid phone plan but with a computer they know how to use and a phone that pairs with it perfectly in their possession.

A lot of people don't WANT to "Google it". They don't WANT freedom. They want easy. They want it all pre-configured. They want to be able to slap a CD or DVD into their Windows or Mac computer, watch a video of how to plug in their cable, wait ten minutes, enter their credit card number and agree to pay a bunch of money, and have it all work without having to learn what those complicated terms like USB and WiFi mean. They just want to take the phone thingy and plug the big end of the cable thingy into it and plug the little end into the box thingy that has something to do with the iTunes and watch a message that says "your data is backed up, thank you for plugging thingies correctly."

Until Android starts really telling people how easy it is to use, and maybe gets a few things figured out like backing up application data natively, iOS will have a secure place in comsumer's hearts and minds.

And that's OK. That means fewer competitors on Ingress. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85