When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
How does it not make sense? A comment was made that Android dominates the market. I said its not hard when people are grabbing the free phones. My parents for example, always upgrade to a free phone. Androids have tons of free phones. It's not rocket surgery.

OK and why did Google buy up and develop the android project... I promise you it wasn't to create an os to reach only high end markets. Its all about getting your information to sell to vendors. Mission accomplished 75% of the smartphone market that's massive and makes android a success to Google. IOS only holds 14% of the global market but they aren't doing this for the same reason as Google they developed the whole package because their money comes from the hardware so if they sell at the highest profit margins of any hardware maker out there and their stuff still sells like hotcakes they win too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
How does it not make sense? A comment was made that Android dominates the market. I said its not hard when people are grabbing the free phones. My parents for example, always upgrade to a free phone. Androids have tons of free phones. It's not rocket surgery.

Ha ha. Love the rocket surgery comment. My point is that the majority of phones being sold are not the cheap or free ones. The SGS3 and note 2 are selling like mad. These are not free. People are buying the N4 at full rate.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OK I properly played with the S3 just now. Build quality is nice. Screen is absolutely unbelievable. Personally I prefer the OneX but I can definitely see why S3 is the phone to beat.

Still, just with my Xperia S now on 4.0.4 I don't want to go back to iPhone, especially without Steve Jobs and also Apple fired Scott Forstall, the guy in charge of iOS.

Yes it is annoying that the best experience requires rooting and sometimes debloating but with 4.2 Google and the manufacturers are starting to come to a good understanding that user experience its everything. Everything.

Now that I have rooted, flashed stock ROM, and debloated all without having to unlock the bootloader, this phone really starts to sing. From being totally unusable just a few months back on Gingerbread.

Apple has nothing to worry about per se but watch out 2013 because once Android gets a foothold in tablet vs iPad it could finally take off for tablet like it did smartphones.

Even Swype... Why the heck hasn't Apple implemented it at least as an option? It is absolutely amazing for me.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha. Love the rocket surgery comment. My point is that the majority of phones being sold are not the cheap or free ones. The SGS3 and note 2 are selling like mad. These are not free. People are buying the N4 at full rate.

Two comments about this:

1) It is my understanding that the higher end Android phones are selling very well in the US and Europe, not so well in developing markets like India. In india, the lower end smartphones are doing the best by a wide margin.

2) Even with only about 15% of the market, Apple is still making about 90% of the profits in the smartphone business. Perhaps that's due to their higher market on higher end phones.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

One X+, Galaxy S3, Note 2, Nexus 4, Optimus G, Droid DNA, and the Razr HD are not free phones. Sure those cheap phones may pad the sales at bit but let's not ignore the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 for Samsung at least are selling in large amounts. One other thing some of those cheap phones are just older phones that were the best or have some niche feature like the Rugby Pro or a slider. This time next year the Galaxy S3 and Note 1 could easily be one of those cheap phones.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Two comments about this:

1) It is my understanding that the higher end Android phones are selling very well in the US and Europe, not so well in developing markets like India. In india, the lower end smartphones are doing the best by a wide margin.

2) Even with only about 15% of the market, Apple is still making about 90% of the profits in the smartphone business. Perhaps that's due to their higher market on higher end phones.

Where did you get the numbers for the 90% part?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I just went to find the link, and my numbers were off a bit. Apple+Samsung is 90%, with Apple getting about 71% of that. Same point however.

You can find the information all over, here's a sample link.

Pie chart of the day: Apple's share of smartphone profits - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Some of the problem is the channel stuffing with so many low to mid-end Android phones in 1st world countries. People that provide that profit margin want something that will really go up against iPhone not mediocre stuff.

Australia is really lucky, there is no recession yet so either people have a totally old phone or otherwise iPhone or Samsung high-end. The mid-range Androids are just collecting dust.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Some of the problem is the channel stuffing with so many low to mid-end Android phones in 1st world countries. People that provide that profit margin want something that will really go up against iPhone not mediocre stuff.

Australia is really lucky, there is no recession yet so either people have a totally old phone or otherwise iPhone or Samsung high-end. The mid-range Androids are just collecting dust.

I agree that Android is doing better because there are cheaper options but if Android sucked as an os people wouldn't buy them. The fact that Samsung is pretty much single handedly taking on Apple says a lot right now as to where Android is. Apple needs a bigger phone and a cheaper phone. Just selling off old iPhone 4's and 4s's isn't enough. The limited selection with the high price point is good for fans but not good for the majority of consumers. The iphone has a lot of status to it so when someone has last years model their status is diminished and they end up complaining about their phone or making excuses. Android has so many more phones that the status thing isn't quite as rampant among the average consumer but because the hardware is at the top if the heap on Android people still get the status boost for less money. For example someone who can't afford the iPhone 5 can choose to buy a dated iPhone 4s and lose status and make excuses or buy a S3, Note 2 or a nexus 4 with the latest and greatest and be able to do more and still brag about it. It's the 10/10/80% rule. 10 will be fans for Apple regardless and 10% will be fans of Android regardless but there are 80% that are in the middle. These are the swing vote so to speak. Once the market figures out that you can get the same or better experience for less the 80% will swing one way or the other. Apple has had this in their favor for a long time but things are now changing and the 80% are talking.

Android is out playing Apple just like Microsoft did. The iPhone 5s will be a mediocre upgrade which will only give Android more momentum. Apple is digging very deep in their think tank right now because the iP6 needs to be a game changer. If its more of the same I think it will be very much a repeat of the RIM situation. They will need to play catch-up and because Apple doesn't put out 10 top tier phones a year like Android manufacturers they may never be able to catch up.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Mwow

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I just went to find the link, and my numbers were off a bit. Apple+Samsung is 90%, with Apple getting about 71% of that. Same point however.

You can find the information all over, here's a sample link.

Pie chart of the day: Apple's share of smartphone profits - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

If this is the case, wouldn't this be mostly because Apple has been able to corner the market on discounted manufacturing costs over others (which seems to be changing now), plus the inflated prices on their products?

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If this is the case, wouldn't this be mostly because Apple has been able to corner the market on discounted manufacturing costs over others (which seems to be changing now), plus the inflated prices on their products?

Yes in a way but also because this is what Apple has been doing best for a long time. That is, knowing how to have good profit margins at the expense of market share.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Android is doing better because there are cheaper options but if Android sucked as an os people wouldn't buy them. The fact that Samsung is pretty much single handedly taking on Apple says a lot right now as to where Android is. Apple needs a bigger phone and a cheaper phone. Just selling off old iPhone 4's and 4s's isn't enough. The limited selection with the high price point is good for fans but not good for the majority of consumers. The iphone has a lot of status to it so when someone has last years model their status is diminished and they end up complaining about their phone or making excuses. Android has so many more phones that the status thing isn't quite as rampant among the average consumer but because the hardware is at the top if the heap on Android people still get the status boost for less money. For example someone who can't afford the iPhone 5 can choose to buy a dated iPhone 4s and lose status and make excuses or buy a S3, Note 2 or a nexus 4 with the latest and greatest and be able to do more and still brag about it. It's the 10/10/80% rule. 10 will be fans for Apple regardless and 10% will be fans of Android regardless but there are 80% that are in the middle. These are the swing vote so to speak. Once the market figures out that you can get the same or better experience for less the 80% will swing one way or the other. Apple has had this in their favor for a long time but things are now changing and the 80% are talking.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Actually I don't think a cheaper phone will help Apple. It has to do with the sophistication of the phone and impactful updates.

iPhone appears to be stagnating because it caters well for new users but people who really live on their phone need more.

Android 4 has got things pretty well because it's good out of the box for new people to smartphones but in just a few days after rooting I'm doing amazing things and I'm not talking just trivial customisation.

I keep mentioning Swype as an example it's quite good and can't imagine why Apple hasn't implemented it. I can't believe l can type this fast on a phone. And this is only 4.0.4, Nexus 7 with 4.2 Swype is better.

This is very different from Microsoft because Android does have some real taste and innovation, it is improving in fun and surprises.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Clearly you don't understand what I said. I completely understand Android and what it was bought for not built as google bought it didn't create it. Also like I said not closed but a little more control. Windows mobile died a horrible death and it was the same scenario. Now not every mistake made was replicated by google but some have been

"A little more control" defeats the purpose.

Windows Mobile died because the product just wasn't good. Plus smartphones didn't really take off during Windows Mobile's peak period. It's a different time now.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Even the higher end androids are cheaper. Galaxy S3 goes on sale all the time to as low as 50 dollars at my job. The lowest I've seen a new iphone is the 5 now at 150 at best buy. They are usually steady at 200. So many people come in and get a galaxy at 50 because it's an an awesome device and it's cheaper along with the razr maxx being free at best buy right now... That being said if the 5 were 50 or a dollar tons of people would be buying them as they're flooding us now with the 150 deal.

I say all this to say that android IS cheaper and it's part of the reason they have the biggest market share.

saltysteve

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Every Apple lover is holding their breath hoping the 6 won't be another flop. The 5s of well be nicer than the 5 but by that point I think only die hard fans will be holding on and others will be waiting to get a look at the iphone 6 and probably moving on.
Apple can only pull a rabbit out of a hat at this point. Otherwise only small children and older adults will be their costumer base because of simplicity.
I hope they pull through just because they are American.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Even the higher end androids are cheaper. Galaxy S3 goes on sale all the time to as low as 50 dollars at my job. The lowest I've seen a new iphone is the 5 now at 150 at best buy. They are usually steady at 200. So many people come in and get a galaxy at 50 because it's an an awesome device and it's cheaper along with the razr maxx being free at best buy right now... That being said if the 5 were 50 or a dollar tons of people would be buying them as they're flooding us now with the 150 deal.

I say all this to say that android IS cheaper and it's part of the reason they have the biggest market share.

Number one sexy those are HOLIDAY deals different DEALERS do and it's not only for the s3. Thats just cuz android was made for the MASSES not just the social elite or upper middle class with different choices and oems. And frankly more people are seeing apples iPhone for what it truly is... A Over priced Glass smartphone with a locked down system

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non