When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Different strokes, I guess. I worked, played and developed on Windows PCs for about 20 years. About 7 years ago, I switched to Macs, and my life has been much easier. I no longer need to reload the OS every year or so to clean out the cruft, and my experiences with the OS panicing have been almost non-existant. I have never in seven years run into a situation where I needed my OS discs because the computer wouldn't boot. I haven't run a virus scanner in seven years, and I have had no issues at all.

I know a lot of people who like to trash the Mac environment, but its almost always people who have never used it, so I have trouble taking their opinion too seriously.

And before anyone bothers to call me some sort of name, I switched from iOS to Android two months ago so you are going to have trouble with getting a fanboy label to stick.
You won't get any name calling from me. :p Macs definitely are a bit less maintenance, but we routinely still do have to do a clean and reset on ours every couple of years. I rarely have to do that on my PC anymore, but sometimes I do just to get a fresh start and reorganize. The one thing I have noticed is that "most" Mac users tend to be less broad in their list of software which tend to minimize crap that gets installed. In our office and most Mac users I know just use a lot of pre installed programs along with MS Office and the Adobe suite and that's about it. The list of available software isn't as big so there less problems. I know there are others that go beyond this, but most don't. PC users install all kinds of crapware which causes issues.

As for viruses there are more surfacing for Macs now that they are gaining more popularity so don't take it for granted based on the last decade.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Only people who click on stupid stuff like "win a free ipad" get viruses. If you don't look at stupid stuff or open spam email, you won't get a virus on a pc. I haven't had one since I was a dumb middle school kid. And I don't run any anti virus software cuz it slows your pc down

sent from Galaxy Note 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Only people who click on stupid stuff like "win a free ipad" get viruses. If you don't look at stupid stuff or open spam email, you won't get a virus on a pc. I haven't had one since I was a dumb middle school kid. And I don't run any anti virus software cuz it slows your pc down

sent from Galaxy Note 2
I agree, but add not using IE as a browser to that list. Some of the malware that was coming in from IE 7 and 8 was nasty.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Different strokes, I guess. I worked, played and developed on Windows PCs for about 20 years. About 7 years ago, I switched to Macs, and my life has been much easier. I no longer need to reload the OS every year or so to clean out the cruft, and my experiences with the OS panicing have been almost non-existant. I have never in seven years run into a situation where I needed my OS discs because the computer wouldn't boot. I haven't run a virus scanner in seven years, and I have had no issues at all.

I know a lot of people who like to trash the Mac environment, but its almost always people who have never used it, so I have trouble taking their opinion too seriously.

And before anyone bothers to call me some sort of name, I switched from iOS to Android two months ago so you are going to have trouble with getting a fanboy label to stick.

So much of that is just on the user. My PC is a Pentium 4 running XP and my parents bought that computer when it was brand new and I think that computer is nearing 10 years old it is running perfectly for an old bird. I have no idea where my OS discs are or if I even had those discs and all I have is a firewall and ad blocker running on that computer. Clicking on the hot girl offering you free stuff isn't Apple or Microsoft's fault. One of my close friends tried to fix the media share between his PC and 360 by deleting registry entries and never made a backup... Apple and Microsoft can only do so much to protect whoever is derping on the other side of the monitor from themselves.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't run a virus scanner in seven years, and I have had no issues at all.
well the virus issues are Internet Explorer issues. Just don't use IE. I use Chrome; its fast and I don't have a virus scanner and I haven't had viruses since I switched to Chrome.

Also, *part* of the reason that IE attracts so many virus-writing criminals is because it is the most widely used browser out there. Criminals get more bang for their buck if they write viruses for IE. If other browsers were used as often as IE, more criminals would write viruses to attack those browsers. It is all about the numbers.

Well I have certainly used Macs and don't prefer them. Some of that is just me liking what I am familiar with no doubt, but when I ask Mac users what it is they like about a Mac it is typically a feature that is available in Windows or not something that appeals to me or something that I like how Windows does it better anyhow.

So what exactly is it that a Mac does better than a windows-based machine in your opinion?

No one has called you a name. However, you are quite defensive about apple. Again, I am no fan of windows, but I don't like apple products either. I don't photoshop and do graphics intensive computing and perhaps if I did, I would feel otherwise.

And I hated the iPod that was given to me as a gift - it has the MOST unintuitive user interface that could have been designed.

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I always laugh when Mac users try and use viruses as a way of making PC seem inferior. Macs get them too, but hackers who are worth their salt don't use Macs so it isn't mentioned much. Plus I use a free anti-virus I got off Avast's website and have never had a single virus on any PC.

I know no-one has made such a claim here, but it's still relevant and I just felt like adding in my 2 cents on the subject.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The list of available software isn't as big so there less problems. I know there are others that go beyond this, but most don't. PC users install all kinds of crapware which causes issues.
yep, it is all about the numbers. More people using an OS, means more people writing software for an OS, means more opportunities for you to eff up your machine when you install the myriad choices of software programs. There is nothing inherently wrong with the windows registry - the problems come in when software writes to the registry and/or when you uninstall a program and it doesn't clean itself out from the registry.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
yep, it is all about the numbers. More people using an OS, means more people writing software for an OS, means more opportunities for you to eff up your machine when you install the myriad choices of software programs. There is nothing inherently wrong with the windows registry - the problems come in when software writes to the registry and/or when you uninstall a program and it doesn't clean itself out from the registry.

Technology is only as good as the person behind it/using it.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Technology is only as good as the person behind it/using it.
especially when you have an OS like Windows XP in which you have free reign as a user with no hoops to jump over to delete/modify, etc. critical system files and the registry. All you have to do is unhide the system files or enter the registry editor and voila, you can eff up your machine quite easily if you don't know what you are doing.

I know, I have done it more times that I would l like to admit.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
especially when you have an OS like Windows XP in which you have free reign as a user with no hoops to jump over to delete/modify, etc. critical system files and the registry. All you have to do is unhide the system files or enter the registry editor and voila, you can eff up your machine quite easily if you don't know what you are doing.

I know, I have done it more times that I would l like to admit.

Oh man I loved Windows XP so much. Vista is easily among the worst things imaginable and 7 is definitely so much better but it lacks the freedom of XP which I miss.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh man I loved Windows XP so much. Vista is easily among the worst things imaginable and 7 is definitely so much better but it lacks the freedom of XP which I miss.
When I bought my mom a vista machine and tried to get to some lower level OS folders and was DENIED permission I hit the roof. Then it was not easy at all to figure out how to change the permissions even though I was logged on as the administrator. What a piece of crap Vista is!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
When I bought my mom a vista machine and tried to get to some lower level OS folders and was DENIED permission I hit the roof. Then it was not easy at all to figure out how to change the permissions even though I was logged on as the administrator. What a piece of crap Vista is!

I had that problem so many times. The worst part was it didn't come up often so each time it did I forgot how to fix it so I'd have to look up the answer again. I immediately put XP back on it.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Grandmother: "How do I shut my computer off?"

Me: "Click on Start......"

Grandmother: "I want to shut it down, not start it."

Me: "Welcome to Windows." :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Grandmother: "How do I shut my computer off?"

Me: "Click on Start......"

Grandmother: "I want to shut it down, not start it."

Me: "Welcome to Windows." :)
Grandmother: how do I eject my DVD from my old Mac?

Me: drag it to the trash.

Grandmother: but how do I eject it on my new Mac?

Me: you don't have a dvd drive.

Grandmother: that's stupid

Me: welcome to Apple.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Best post of the thread. :)

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

Well played sir... and true. However.... I dont miss my Optical Drive at all. I am impressed by Win 8 and I applaud Microsoft for the bringing a game changer to their desktop. I do see some resistance by corporate users in upgrading. Makes Win 7 much like Windows 2000 was when XP came out.

I am running Win 7 on my MBPR and like it... my only beef is Microsoft's Activation/Authentication Bull Crap. Its as if they assume first you are a thief before a legit customer. Prior to switching to OSX, I built my own PCs and would ofter upgrade them. Almost everytime I did, I had to call Microsoft to activate/authenticate Windows.

Apple is totally different in this aspect. Also in upgrade pricing. (I hear upgrades to Win 8 is very resonably priced compared to prior upgrades... which is good."